Quantcast
info on moving/living/working in Beijing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: info on moving/living/working in Beijing?

Default info on moving/living/working in Beijing?

I know nothing about this....anybody care to share some info?

1. how does one go about working/moving to Beijing? both my parents have Hong Kong passports, dad was born in HK, mom born in China

2. how important is knowing Mandarin lol? I will be finished my accounting designation in a years time or so, and would imagine that I'd be wanting to work for an international company within Beijing, I dont know ANY mandarin or cantonese for that matter, but I can read about 25% of the chinese characters

3. how does income tax work in Beijing?

4. living costs? I have no relatives there nor do I know anyone

My Ride
    rental

Seeing that ur dad's from HK and mom from China, I'm going to make an educated assumpstion you're Chinese. (black hair, brown/black eyes)... Who knows, they can be WHITE even born in Asia right.

Anyways, based on the fact that ur Azn but don't speak it or read/write it... The ppl there will first look at you with disrespect, an outkast.

Unless of course, you're some hot shot, and the company puts you in charge of the department, then you'll be the slave master. But if you're just another 1 in 500 Chinese accountant in the office, then expect some hard work. (trying to fit in and all)... and unless your company has a lot of non-Azn working in the Bejing branch, don't expect your co-workers going out of their way of learning English for you.

In sum, if you don't have a lot of Honger friends in Calgary, expect some loneliness working in China.

Tax wise, if it's a Canadian based company sending you over to China... then I'd presume a dual tax system (where you pay a little bit to both countries)... or just the Canadian side, since it's a Canadian firm.

Living wise, if company is sending you, lot of big companies usually find accommdiations. It's really hard for someone that doesn't know China to find "good areas", it's a zoo there (speaking of Shenzhen).

And remember, don't let strangers know you're a foreign citizen Azn. (either they'll try to get their daughter pergo. with ur child to get citizenship)... OR... ransom you for $$$ knowing you got "foreigner" connection.
    Last edited by Whitetiger; 02-20-2007 at 11:41 PM.

actually there are only 300 000 designated accountants in China right now...lol

but yeah, I will definitely be learning Mandarin before I even think about moving there