Quantcast
Taking a look at an 87 Supra Turbo, What to look for? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Taking a look at an 87 Supra Turbo, What to look for?

My Ride
    90 jdm ST185 86 ST162

Default Taking a look at an 87 Supra Turbo, What to look for?

As the title states I'm takin a look at an 87 Toyota Supra. Asking price is $2500 which seems incredibly low.

180,000 kms, 5 speed, interior and exterior *near mint* (as owner says)

Known problem is the speedo cable is broken so that will need to be replaced obviously (how much will I be looking for to get it replaced/fixed?) Other than that he says no problems.

So I ask you supra owners of this generation, what should I be looking at that can be known problems?

Thanks in advance, hopefully this turbo project can be mine!

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Rust. Is it the turbo'd one 7mgte (something like that) If so get a compression test done (head gaskets are very common on these engines)

Headgaskets can be a big problem..

The stock gasket is weak and not torqued tightly enough. Look at HKS or Greddy for metal replacements. Look on the internet as many people have had this problem...

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

For $2500, take a good look at it. Rust on the rear quarters are pretty common on these cars. Most importantly the headgaskets as mentioned previously are notorious for blowing. So if it hasnt been done, or it's been done years ago and replaced with a stock gasket and torqued to spec...Don't be surprised if it lets go on you once again. It's a lot of work as well, I am in the middle of doing that job on my Supra so if you have questions about these cars just ask! Also, maintenance also plays a big role, if you get it inspected and find stuff that needs to be replaced fix that before you throw mods at it, if not you're just asking for trouble.

My Ride
    '06 300C SRT8, '04 ZX6R

Yeah like Vic said beware of rust in the rear quarter panels and the headgasket is a pretty common issue.

The headgasket can be a big job but it's truly not that hard, it's just a long job.

As far as the Speedo cable goes, they usually run around $100, atleast that's what they were when I fried mine. Make sure if your replacing the speedo cable that you have the heat shield on underneither the car right by the cable or else you'll just fry it again.

Things to look for, rust around the fenders is very common, check for a tick with the motor or any kind of knocking. Blowing any smoke that's not black, most Supras are prone to running rich.

Basically I wouldn't mod the Supra until you have the motor taken care of, the headgasket should be changed to a metal one (Greddy preferred but HKS is good as well), make sure all the kinks are worked out before you do any modding and then your set. Also, I wouldn't suggest anything more than doing downpipe, exhaust, intake and shimming the wastegate. Once you get past that point it gets expensive and you'll run into a lot of troubles.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I have owned 3 myself and have worked on probably half the Supras here in town lol

Thanks

Jay

My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

Make sure it's actually the cable, not the speedo head.
    keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon