Quantcast
Brake fluid... overfilled and Auto-T fluid... checking? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Brake fluid... overfilled and Auto-T fluid... checking?

My Ride
    Proton Wira 1.5 GLi

Default Brake fluid... overfilled and Auto-T fluid... checking?

Hi... Today, I brought my car for a major service, and that includes flushing and changing the brake fluid.

However, I soon noticed that the mechanic actually overfilled it. It is over the MAX by about 4 mm, however, there is still some place in the reservoir. Do I have to do anything with it? Should I bleed the brake system? Or just a slight overfill is nevermind? If I need to bleed it, how should I do it? Any places where I can find a graphical tutorial? (My car manual doesn't tell me how to bleed it).

Another thing, how should I check my automatic transmission fluid level? The mechanic also helped me change the fluid today, but I still prefer to check it myself.

I followed my car's manual instructions : Warm up the car by driving, park the car on a level surface, depress the brake pedal fully and shift from P to L, stopping momentarily at each step, then put the transmission to Neutral, then check the automatic transmission fluid with the engine still running. However, when I pull out the dipstick, the fluid is really not obvious. I tried to see it at a very near distance, the first time, it is beneath the minimum level, the 2nd time, it is higher than the maximum level, the 3rd time, it is in between. I then switched off the engine, and checked it again after 5 minutes, this time, it is still in between, almost full. So, what do you think? Is it full or not and do I have to add in more?

My auto-transmission dipstick is COLD | HOT | ADJUST AT HOT. If I have to add in additional fluid, does it mean that I have to add in when the engine is hot (not cold)?

Thanks!

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

You're brake fluid is fine. I wouldn't worry about it. The tranny fluid is also fine IMO. The reason it came in at different readings is probably because with the engine running, the fluid is slopping around in it. When you tested it, while hot, after shutting it off, it came in around the middle of the guage, you're fine. Don't sweat it, it's all good.

My Ride
    Proton Wira 1.5 GLi

Default He left the brake fluid reservoir open for half an hour...

Hi, thanks for your replies.

There is another thing which I'm really worried about: the mechanic actually let the brake reservoir open for about half an hour after filling in the new brake fluid! After filling in the brake fluid, he proceeded with other jobs. Only after he finished them, he closed the cap of the brake reservoir, engine oil reservoir etc.

Is half an hour a lot for moisture to absorb in? Will I cause trouble, and do I have to worry about it much?

Thanks!

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I wouldn't worry too much honestly. Its gonna pick up way worse than that over the period its in your car.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.