Quantcast
Shell Presentation at UofC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shell Presentation at UofC

My Ride
    Upass

Default Shell Presentation at UofC

Did anyone on beyond happend to go to the presentation? I completley forgot about it, and then around 1:40 I saw a sign about it on the wall, but the thing ended at 1:15. Still got a glimps of the Ferrari F2004 replica as they were packing things up that they had on display, but can anyone fill me in on what the gist of the presentation was about? Also I heard they were giving out hats and key chains, what were the chances of winning something? not that it really matters now though.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I stopped by for a little bit and they had someone just mentioning the way the oil industry is going and the growth of the oil sands. Pretty sure it was the CEO that was doing the presentation.

Didn't stay very long as I had to get to class.

damn i missed that too, i saw a poster around 200 and then i saw the end time and i was pissed, i really wanted to attend that.

I always thought it'd be pretty sweet to stand up in the audience when it comes time for questions at these presentations, especially if the CEO was there, and confront him about immoral and destructive shit that their company does. How taken aback would he be if someone starts askin Why the hell they'd wanna work there when their company fucks shit up all over the world.

(Inspired by last month's National Geographic's article on oil crisis in Nigeria)

My Ride

And then have 500 other fucking hypocrites agree with you, feel good about the fact that they agree with you, then hop in their cars and drive home.

Originally posted by rinny
    I always thought it'd be pretty sweet to stand up in the audience when it comes time for questions at these presentations, especially if the CEO was there, and confront him about immoral and destructive shit that their company does. How taken aback would he be if someone starts askin Why the hell they'd wanna work there when their company fucks shit up all over the world.

(Inspired by last month's National Geographic's article on oil crisis in Nigeria)

although i dont know the exact specifics of the so called "immoral and destructive shit" that you talk about. I would challenge you to tell me how our development would be today had it not been for companies like that who develop oil to help with almost every single thing we use today.

Had it not been for oil it would be almost impossible that our world advance and we would have not been able to start research on new energy sources because the funds would not be there.
    Think of the cold winters(in reference to heated homes and not global warming) and transportation problems we would encounter.

Now im not some capitalist who is money hungry but i am looking at it from a wide perspective.

Originally posted by LuxCars

although i dont know the exact specifics of the so called "immoral and destructive shit" that you talk about.
    Well, if they are involved in any type of steam injection for every one barrel of oil produced, 5 barrels of water is permanently contaminated and sitting in giant pools. By permanently contaminated, i mean that we do not currently have the technology to purify it.

I am not a crazy environmentalist or anything and will probably end up working for some company that works in the oil sands. Just an example

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Seen debates and bickering about religion, politics, and clubbing before but I'm noticing the environmental debate going on now here. Should be interesting to see just how many people care about the environment in Who-gives-a-shit city.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think people genuinely care about the environment but don't trust others to follow, thus find it useless to even bother trying. Moreover, how can you hate the company that is paying you well and giving you the good life? Sure you may hate the ethics of what you company does, but what are you going to do, bite the hand that feeds you?

In Alberta, serious environmental concerns and working is a rock and a hard place.
    Ultracrepidarian

Well all us albertans will be paying for it when the profits are gone and the oil companies leave huge pollution pools(there is no plan for cleanup).

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by mvprimate
    Well all us albertans will be paying for it when the profits are gone and the oil companies leave huge pollution pools(there is no plan for cleanup).
    Go hug a tree or move to Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Go hug a tree or move to Vancouver

Haha, i am no hippy. I don't believe in man made global warming. I don't care if people drive 10-15 mpg vehicles. The fact is that we are fucking up something that will be a more valubale resource than oil one day ( water will always be needed and never lose its value). I just think it would be smart to make these companies liable for cleaning up when they are done. The fact is that oil from the sands is extremely dirty compared to conventional.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by rinny

You think it would be pretty sweet as in 'you would do it if you were there'? Or you think it would be pretty sweet as in, 'I don't have the balls to do it but I want to see someone else and then jump on the bandwagon'?

What I can tell you for sure is that anyone presenting on behalf of a corporation like Shell (especially in a University setting) is adequately trained and informed to debate environmental arguments. Unless you can say the same for the audience member raising the issue at the presentation, they will more than likely be humiliated.

My Ride
    Upass

So since the ferrari was a replica, did it still have an engine and run? or was it just a shell, did they even talk about it. Sorry for being random and going off topic, but just curious. And thanks for the replies, even though most didnt really anwser the question I think I got the idea of what the presentation was about. Anyways back to the environtment debate, and just to get my 2 cents in, I dont think it would kill the oil companies to dip into their huge profits as of late to spend alittle to clean up the mess they leave behind, and before anyone jumps on my back, I am working on a degree in geophysics and will most likely end up working in the oil and gas industry, so I am not some tree hugger. I just think that companies who are making fortunes can afford to spend some of that cash on the environment, and I am sure they already do spend alot, but I am sure there can be more done.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Originally posted by Nav13
    I am sure they already do spend alot, but I am sure there can be more done.
    Yeah but then they won't have money to throw that golf tournament!

Originally posted by mvprimate

Well, if they are involved in any type of steam injection for every one barrel of oil produced, 5 barrels of water is permanently contaminated and sitting in giant pools. By permanently contaminated, i mean that we do not currently have the technology to purify it.

I am not a crazy environmentalist or anything and will probably end up working for some company that works in the oil sands. Just an example

How is the steam/water contaminated? By the oil? Or by the general chemicals in the water before it hits the formation/oil? Just would like some clarification.

And for the person who said their is no clean up plans. You are 100% wrong. A lot of plants/companies have reclamation/cleaning plans.
    Last edited by stealth; 02-28-2007 at 11:38 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by stealth
    How is the steam/water contaminated? By the oil? Or by the general chemicals in the water before it hits the formation/oil? Just would like some clarification.
    The water is treated before it goes into the ground. Ideally, 100% distilled water would be preferred but is way to costly, so is somewhere around 80%. Two tubes go into the ground, one is filled with superheated water which loosens up the rock and makes the oil easier to suck up (in a very basic sense) and another tube is like a vacuum and sucks it up.

It's an expensive process and the oil in Alberta is getting more and more difficult to pump out. It is RUMOURED that Alberta holds more oil than the most countries in the Middle East but is not nearly as easy to get at and is one of the reasons the Middle East is dominant on the oil market.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-01-2007 at 01:18 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by msommers
    It's an expensive process and the oil in Alberta is getting more and more difficult to pump out. It is RUMOURED that Alberta holds more oil than the most countries in the Middle East but is not nearly as easy to get at and is one of the reasons the Middle East is dominant on the oil market.
    Not RUMORED but estimated to be as much as Saudi. But currently technology will only extract the 10-20% at the top and takes a lot longer time to extract.

BTW, the presentation is to announce $1.15M donation to U of C to create future workforce and research staff.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-01-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Originally posted by Nav13
    So since the ferrari was a replica, did it still have an engine and run? or was it just a shell, did they even talk about it. *snip*
    was just a shell on rubbers.... disappointing
    I went there to look at the solar car because I know someone one on the new solar car team

but a large majority of the ppl where going for the free pizza or trying to score a free ferrari shirt or hat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast