Quantcast
Cattle Baron NE - Horrible dining experience - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cattle Baron NE - Horrible dining experience

My Ride
    cars

Default Cattle Baron NE - Horrible dining experience

Last night (Feb. 27) my wife and I go out for our 3rd anniversary. We had heard good things about the Cattle Baron and she had been to the one in the south before so we decided to go to the NE because it was a bit closer.

Got there, seated right away and had some nice sour dough bread, glass of wine etc.. She ordered the 8oz New York cut and I ordered the 10oz rib eye.

This is when things started going down hill. I started to notice the opening and closing of a window that lead into the bar area. Obviously they were passing drinks through this window as there is no bar on the dining side. Well, the problem with this is that it was simply one of those divider accordians that you find separating rooms and of course people on the other side were smoking. (I was under the impression that smoking was no longer allowed in restaurants) but anyway..

So then the food comes out. My 24.00 rib eye was cold and looked like some kinda chop steak you would find on a cheap steak sandwich from a bar. And my wife's 23.00 New York cut had fat all the way through it.. And i'm not talking marbling, I know what steak is supposed to look like and this wasn't a new york cut.

So the waitress comes by and we explain that this is not a good cut of meat, she apologizes and explains she will get another one for her. Another 20 min or so goes by, meanwhile we've already been there over an hour, and the second steak comes out. Smaller, burnt and still full of fat. So finally the manager comes over and takes a look at it and explains that it must have been a bad batch from the company they buy the steak from and he will do anything to make things right with us. Of course I've been long done my meal but I feel bad and she is hungry cause besides the bread she hadn't had anything to eat yet. So she decides to try the filet mignon instead.

Another 20 min or so goes by, the manager brings out the steak, everything is cooked perfectly, the steak was good, she was happy, I was happy and we thought that was it.

Then the bill comes.. NOT ONLY did he not take care of the bill period, after all the bs we had gone through, we get CHARGED for the filet which was 28.00!!! I couldn't believe this. We had spent over 2 1/2 hours there, went through 3 steaks and mine which wasn't all that good anyway only to get charged full price.

So I call the manager over and ask if this is the way you "take care of people" and he explains that the waitress misbilled us and he will fix it. So how does he fix it, he puts back on the original steak that she ordered.

Well needless to say, this was a horrible experience, i will NEVER go back to the Cattle Baron in the NE and probably will never go to either for that matter. A simple anniversary dinner turns into a night of bad steaks, stinky clothes (from the smoke in the lounge) and very sour taste in my mouth.

Should have went to the Bear's Den and been done with it.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

So, you let your wife starve while you ate your "bunk ass" steak??

Give your wife my number...she needs a better man...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    02 Accord

u know what your problem is.... You didn't have the balls to tell him to take care of the dinner in the first place... He said he'd do whatever it takes to make it right. Their trying to run a business. How the heck is he supposed to know you wanted this shit taken care of. When I sell a heater to someone, if they dont tell me to go ahead with it, I'll ask em straight out, where we're at with this.

One time I was at BP's on a date. We had beers and nacho's. The nachos were just aweful, they had what looked like green moss on the spicy chicken. I couldn't believe it. So I asked my waitress what this was. btw I have nachos all the time. She couldnt tell me so the manager came over. He looks at it, and tells me there's nothing wrong. So I told him to take a bite for himself. He wouldn't, and apolgized right away, and asked me, just like you were asked, what he needed to do, to make me happy. I told him to take care of it. When the bill came, the only thing he took off was the nacho's. Naturally I was pissed, and hungry. So I went up to him, and asked him if we reversed our rolls, would he be happy with this. He said probably not. So I handed him the bill and told him to take care of it properly. haha. and he did. I left a 20 dollar tip for the waitress. I'll never go back again though.

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

ek2.0 you are hilarious

on a side note, the fact that you paid at all was hilarious.. dude, if i have one small complaint at any restaurant, i get a free meal. Dont be a pushover!

My Ride
    VE & S13

EK out owning again.... but get back to work

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

i've been to the Cattle Baron N.E 4 times for other people occations (b-days, going aways etc) and 3 out of the 4 times i had to send my steak back becuase it wasn't done right. for a place that is known for their steaks they don't do a very good job.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's too bad you didn't ask about it before, I went there once before and was absolutely horrible.

From what I've found, there are only a few places in the NE that serve good steaks:

Private
    Carver's Steakhouse
    Reef n Beef

Chain Rest.
    Joey's
    The Keg

Can't honestly think of anywhere else in the NE. Carver's is by far the best but it's expensive. Someplace to think about next anniversary.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by DepTrotter

ek2.0 you are hilarious

on a side note, the fact that you paid at all was hilarious.. dude, if i have one small complaint at any restaurant, i get a free meal. Dont be a pushover!
    I know.. and if it was any other occasion I would be all up in their face but I was trying to keep things on the low and make the best out of the situation for the fact that it was our anniversary.

I have E-mailed both the general manager of the place as well as the "executive chef" with the same complaints so we'll see if anything comes out of that.

Already making other people aware of how horribly we were treated is going to cost them a hell of a lot more money than just paying for our meal in the first place.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by EnRich
    u know what your problem is.... You didn't have the balls to tell him to take care of the dinner in the first place... He said he'd do whatever it takes to make it right. Their trying to run a business. How the heck is he supposed to know you wanted this shit taken care of. When I sell a heater to someone, if they dont tell me to go ahead with it, I'll ask em straight out, where we're at with this.
    You're definitely hard core buddy. Some things aren't worth dealing with at the end of the day, no matter what someone says they'll do for you.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by msommers
    Sorry to hear about your experience. It's too bad you didn't ask about it before, I went there once before and was absolutely horrible.

From what I've found, there are only a few places in the NE that serve good steaks:

Private
    Carver's Steakhouse
    Reef n Beef

Chain Rest.
    Joey's
    The Keg

Can't honestly think of anywhere else in the NE. Carver's is by far the best but it's expensive. Someplace to think about next anniversary.
    Like I said, I had heard good things about the place originally but now I'm hearing more and more bad things about it.

I actually live out in the NW and should have went to the Bears Den which i've heard nothing but amazing things about.

The Keg is also amazing, haven't been to the others that you mentioned but will definitely try them as well. Fuck Rip
    's Pup in Crowfoot has better steak than the crap we ate last night.

it's actually reassuring to hear that my experience wasn't the only one. It's only going to be a matter of time until they are out of business because of this kinda treatment.
    Last edited by modded46; 02-28-2007 at 01:13 PM.

I woulda told them to take both steaks back (yours and your wifes) and speak to the manager.

Let the manager come over explain the situation and naturally you'll get the "anything to make you happy" deal, then order an appetizer and make sure its on the house.

Iono thats what i would do, never would I eat infront of my lady when she doesnt have food
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

reef n beef is pretty good

or you could've uppercutted the manager like one guy did hahaha, then again he didn't accidently drop food on you so i guess its uncalled for HAHA

My Ride
    cars

I feel sorry for the next person that ruins a dinner on me.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    So, you let your wife starve while you ate your "bunk ass" steak??

Give your wife my number...she needs a better man...
    Snaaaaaaaaaaaaap. So true, it would have been best to split the one meal and just take off right away...go to Outback or something. But hindsight is 20/20.
    Originally posted by EnRich

One time I was at BP's on a date. We had beers and nacho's. The nachos were just aweful, they had what looked like green moss on the spicy chicken. I couldn't believe it. So I asked my waitress what this was. btw I have nachos all the time. She couldnt tell me so the manager came over. He looks at it, and tells me there's nothing wrong. So I told him to take a bite for himself. He wouldn't, and apolgized right away, and asked me, just like you were asked, what he needed to do, to make me happy. I told him to take care of it. When the bill came, the only thing he took off was the nacho's. Naturally I was pissed, and hungry. So I went up to him, and asked him if we reversed our rolls, would he be happy with this. He said probably not. So I handed him the bill and told him to take care of it properly. haha. and he did. I left a 20 dollar tip for the waitress. I'll never go back again though.
    Spoken like a true salesman.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by modded46
    I feel sorry for the next person that ruins a dinner on me.

ACTUALLY...I feel sorry for your wife...letting her starve while you eat YOUR meal and bitch to the manager on duty with regards to the lackluster service, and food...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by EK 2.0

ACTUALLY...I feel sorry for your wife...letting her starve while you eat YOUR meal and bitch to the manager on duty with regards to the lackluster service, and food...
    Calm down there.. She told me to go ahead and eat as she wanted to wait for a proper steak and honestly didn't care.

I would however treat the situation very differently in the future but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do in not causing a fuss.

I can't believe however, after all this and E-mailing the people that I did I still haven't heard anything back from them.. I think that is just disgusting and makes my cause of letting everyone know about this horrible experience even more important.

wow sounds like a shitty place.

good call on sayin you shoulda went to bears den that place is amazing!

Default Re: Cattle Baron NE - Horrible dining experience

Originally posted by modded46
    Last night (Feb. 27) my wife and I go out for our 3rd anniversary. We had heard good things about the Cattle Baron and she had been to the one in the south before so we decided to go to the NE because it was a bit closer.

Got there, seated right away and had some nice sour dough bread, glass of wine etc.. She ordered the 8oz New York cut and I ordered the 10oz rib eye.

This is when things started going down hill. I started to notice the opening and closing of a window that lead into the bar area. Obviously they were passing drinks through this window as there is no bar on the dining side. Well, the problem with this is that it was simply one of those divider accordians that you find separating rooms and of course people on the other side were smoking. (I was under the impression that smoking was no longer allowed in restaurants) but anyway..

So then the food comes out. My 24.00 rib eye was cold and looked like some kinda chop steak you would find on a cheap steak sandwich from a bar. And my wife's 23.00 New York cut had fat all the way through it.. And i'm not talking marbling, I know what steak is supposed to look like and this wasn't a new york cut.

So the waitress comes by and we explain that this is not a good cut of meat, she apologizes and explains she will get another one for her. Another 20 min or so goes by, meanwhile we've already been there over an hour, and the second steak comes out. Smaller, burnt and still full of fat. So finally the manager comes over and takes a look at it and explains that it must have been a bad batch from the company they buy the steak from and he will do anything to make things right with us. Of course I've been long done my meal but I feel bad and she is hungry cause besides the bread she hadn't had anything to eat yet. So she decides to try the filet mignon instead.

Another 20 min or so goes by, the manager brings out the steak, everything is cooked perfectly, the steak was good, she was happy, I was happy and we thought that was it.

Then the bill comes.. NOT ONLY did he not take care of the bill period, after all the bs we had gone through, we get CHARGED for the filet which was 28.00!!! I couldn't believe this. We had spent over 2 1/2 hours there, went through 3 steaks and mine which wasn't all that good anyway only to get charged full price.

So I call the manager over and ask if this is the way you "take care of people" and he explains that the waitress misbilled us and he will fix it. So how does he fix it, he puts back on the original steak that she ordered.

Well needless to say, this was a horrible experience, i will NEVER go back to the Cattle Baron in the NE and probably will never go to either for that matter. A simple anniversary dinner turns into a night of bad steaks, stinky clothes (from the smoke in the lounge) and very sour taste in my mouth.

Should have went to the Bear's Den and been done with it.
    welcome to the NE

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Re: Re: Cattle Baron NE - Horrible dining experience

Originally posted by shynepho
    welcome to the NE
    You do realize how much of an idiot you really are don't you?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Most restaurants will try to fix the problem and maybe offer something extra for your trouble. So if the steak is bad, they pay for the steak, not the entire meal. They may offer you a round of drinks or dessert for the inconvenience but that's it.

In your case, however, seeing as you had to wait as long as you did and actually had 3 bad steaks for your wife and a mediocre one for you, you deserved to have that meal on the house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast