Quantcast
What to do in San Fransisco? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do in San Fransisco?

My Ride
    5.0L Mustang Inches of Air-assisted lift: 10

Originally posted by bbcustoms
    Come out of the closet
    I agree, ask Dave Chappelle he know that San Franciso is the gay town!!

What a shock that someone as ignorant as you has a Mustang.

Originally posted by Mad$ella

I agree, ask Dave Chappelle he know that San Franciso is the gay town!!

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

Thanks to those that posted the info I asked.

To those other posters, GO FUCK A GOAT!

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

other then what the people above posted

Mexican food is good there too, its also cheapish

I hear the best pho is in San Jose (never tried it myself)

Theres a big ass H&M and Apple store in downtown

Theres a old army fort (fort point) at the base of golden gate thats neat.

Also treasure island has some old army stuff too

old bath house ruins by sea lion rock, its a nice place for a short hike.

Golden Gate park, theres a science center in there if your in to that kinda stuff

Japan town if your in to JDM stuff

Also you can get in to the zoo free some day on the first week of every month (I think it was thursday)

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Originally posted by MikeHL

I hear the best pho is in San Jose (never tried it myself)

What's Pho?

And, you could check out some of the local car enthusiast sites to see if theres any meets around the time you're there, check the local scene and such ?
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

Originally posted by ex1z7

What's Pho?

Vietnamese beef noodle soup

My Ride
    w163

go to homosexual night club

My Ride
    YZ250

Good info here, I just booked a trip on expedia for $1500 for 2 people for 4 nights at the sheraton on fishermans wharf
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

don't waste your money on the trolleys, they suck and they are expensive, in my opinion.
    you definitely HAVE to do alcatraz, in my opinion. Book atleast 3 or 4 weeks in advance if you can, and i would recommend the last tour of the day, so your tour ends in the dark. you can stroll around alcatraz island in the dark and it is pretty cool.
    alcatraz was one of the few tourist attractions that is really worth it, I found. and not too expensive either.

they have some good shopping in the business sector (near union square i think? cant remember) and haight street is good to, but from the sounds of where you will be, haight street is a little too far. (think of haight street kind of like 17th ave or kensington)

other than that, i'd say that i'd agree with everyone else.
    i personally think the china town kinda sucks.
    what kind of food do you like? if you like seafood then you'll find the best stuff right where you are staying.

also - i agree with whoever said the slanted door is a good restaurant.

My Ride
    V8s

Ancient bump.

I'm heading to SF next weekend. Definitely going to do Alcatraz (not enough notice to buy tix online, will have to show up early), fishermans wharf, see golden gate and bay bridge. We're staying DT, there Wed -> Sun.

Any other suggestions? Updates on good places to eat?

TIA!

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

The Ferry Building has some really great places to eat.
    -Slanted Door is terrific. Call ahead, and make reservations as this place books up weeks in advance at peak times.
    -Blue Bottle Coffee is one of my favourite places to get coffee anywhere. Across from this cafe is a really good ice cream shop, but I can't remember the name of it.
    -Hog Island Oyster Company has a great menu too. The chowder is a must order.

There are some fancy 3* Michelin places like Saison and French Laundry that I've only heard good things about, but have yet to go. Or Chipotle is a cheap favourite of mine.

I was just there in May.

We booked Alcatraz (noon tour) less than a week in advance and it was fine. If you go, do the (Free) audio tour - it was actually really good. You can also leave the island whenever you want, the only set times are your arriving ferry and the last ferry of the day (6:30pm). It's a national park, which I did not know until I went there.

We stayed at Fisherman's Wharf, and ended up spending most of our time up there, so we were glad we didn't stay at Union Square, but that is subjective depending on what you like to do. We liked being by the water and it was very lively.

The curvy road is Lombard Street, check it out for sure, it's easy to walk to.

Ride the cable car once, but do it early and on a week day. It's basically a tourist attraction, it's not good for getting around, but it goes by a lot of the cool sights and you can hang off the side if you want.

Pier 39 (where all the seals are as well as a ton of shopping & restaurants) was cool.

Buy a transit pass, the transit there is amazing. No need whatsoever for a car. Took us a while to figure out the transit though, there are cable cars, street cars, buses, LRT's (which can also drive on the road and stop like buses), and the BART (another train for further distances). Once we had it figured out, you could get anywhere super easily and in good time. The transit passes work for everything except BART and the cable cars. I think it was $6 to ride the cable car, and the BART had reasonable distance based fares (you'll just need to take it to/from the airport). Grab a bay area map from your hotel, it will have all the train lines on it too.

The natural history museum/science center was really well done. It's kind of like Montreal's Bio Dome if you've ever been. It's in Golden Gate Park.

The Coit Tower is a cool area, you don't have to go up the tower, there are great views just from the general area.

Rent a bike and do a loop from Fisherman's Wharf, across the Golden Gate Bridge, and into Sausalito, then take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. Gorgeous area with tons of good food and little shops. Bike rentals were like $20 for the day. Just across the GGB, there is also an awesome lookout at Battery Spencer (old defense point for the bay). There is a road going up to it, so you can bike or walk up it no problem. It's an easy ride and didn't take more than a half day, so I highly recommend it. Doesn't sound like much but that was a highlight for us.

Only thing I didn't like was the ridiculous amount of homeless people. They are everywhere, on every street corner and on every bus, and almost always super high or drunk hassling everyone. They annoyed a lot of people, asked for money, and just did stupid sh*t in general. Not a huge deal, but just use your common sense obviously. There were fewer of them on the street cars and trains, but they seemed to like the buses.

The shopping was nothing special with the 25% exchange rate, but it depends what you're after I guess.

For food, we just used Urban Spoon app and Yelp reviews to pick places, and were never disappointed. Lots of fresh seafood sold on the street too if you want a quick crab sandwich, calamari, lobster, etc. We ate seafood or sushi every day pretty much. One place that stood out for us was Hollywood Cafe for breakfast. We had to go on a weekday because the lineups were crazy, but it was good.

My Ride
    NC1

Check out the new police building. TomcoPDR's bro designed that shit. Cool story.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

pack some warm clothes. Weather is nuts there and will go from cold in the morning to hot by lunch and dam cold at night. Not sure what you're doing for transportation but i would just bus or trolley around. Parking is horrible anywhere and if you're staying DT expect to pay $30-$40 a night for parking.

Food was a real hit and miss for us because we figured we could wing it
    We did try a highly reviewed place on the wharf and the crab at T and T was fresher lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Big Blue

STRIPPERS
    Your #1 hater

My Ride
    Exploded.

Oakland is where it's at for awesome ramen.

Visited there last week. I suggest walking/biking from Fisherman's Wharf to Palace of Fine Arts to Golden Gate to Sausalito Vista Point. It's a good urban trek. Lots of interesting buildings to pass along the way like the Marina District houses, Lucasfilm & ILM office, Bay School of San Francisco. Heading back I walked along Union St. Lot's of bars and restaurants just full of people.

I like walking so I started from my hotel in Union Square and went up the Hill and down the other side. Along the way there's lots more buildings and sights to see like Chinatown, Lombard Street. Or take a cable car.

On another day I walked along Broadway, Fillmore St, Haight St. (up to Divisadero). You'll see a lot of funky multilevel houses along Broadway St. I've heard of Fillmore before from listening to jazz music so I walked there and also went to Amoeba Records along Haight. I should have checked the Amoeba website for their live performance schedule. The Fillmore Jazz Festival is in two weeks.

It's only along Union Square area where I saw a lot of homeless and some crazies/weirdos. It was OK since there's so much people there and I saw lots of cops day and night on the weekend.
    Last edited by Old Snake; 06-23-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Originally posted by Dertz
    STRIPPERS
    Cool response, I don't believe we've ever seen this suggestion before on Beyond.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by max_boost
    Check out the new police building. TomcoPDR's bro designed that shit. Cool story.
    Mission Bay public safety building, not sure how much access the general public has anymore at this point.
    http://sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=4764

New England lobster market & eatery is pretty good seafood.

Walk around campus at University Berkeley, interesting people and neat eatery and just cool stores to check out around those streets

Don't know if Pixar studios in Emeryville (the Ikea in East Bay) still allow tours

My Ride
    V8s

Thanks for all the input everyone! Keep it coming

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast