Quantcast
What to do in San Fransisco? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What to do in San Fransisco?

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Rent a bike and do a loop from Fisherman's Wharf, across the Golden Gate Bridge, and into Sausalito, then take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. Gorgeous area with tons of good food and little shops. Bike rentals were like $20 for the day. Just across the GGB, there is also an awesome lookout at Battery Spencer (old defense point for the bay). There is a road going up to it, so you can bike or walk up it no problem. It's an easy ride and didn't take more than a half day, so I highly recommend it. Doesn't sound like much but that was a highlight for us.
    THIS. I'm a car person, but I really enjoyed renting a bike and riding across the bridge. One side is for pedestrian traffic, the other for cyclists, so you just concentrate on riding. It's what I remember most about my trip.

Bring a rain jacket! The weather goes from sunny to rainy fast.

Wear good shoes. You'll probably end up walking more than you think.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Originally posted by n00bit
    Pier39
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Alcatraz
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Asian Art Museum
    Chinatown
    That curvy road
    Conservatory of Flowers and that other place outside nearby
    Take that trolley ride
    Shop downtown
    Hit up all the bars
    Drive south a bit and do some discount shopping at Gilroy
    I actually just got back from San Fran and these were all the sights I saw with the GF. I would highly recommend a bike rental and bike to all these spots and go see Sausalito across the bay (really easy ride). I also would re3comend a city bus tour as it will take you to all the cool spots and often has tickets available for places like Alcatraz.

Hope you have fun!
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Pier 39 is a tourist trap. Lots of American chain restaurants and tacky souvenir shops.
    Ghirardelli is pretty lame too.
    Gilroy is okay, but it's the same as any other Premium Outlet. I'd skip it with our dollar being as it is.

Make a trip out to Napa / Sonoma valley wine country and visit some wineries (it's a little over an hour out of San Francisco). Stop in Yountville and eat at one of Thomas Keller's restaurants (even the fried chicken at Addendum is amazing if you prefer casual), grab some pastries from Bouchon.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

The Francisco is great for a crab dinner at the port. A little pricey and often very busy, but we went after 9 and got seats pretty much to ourselves.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

I'm booked for the exact same days, Jul 1-5.

I'm staying in Union Square and am doing most of the things suggested here including Alcatraz and renting bikes at the pier and riding across Golden Gate to Sausilito. I'm also renting a car for a day just to do some shopping - isn't the Livermore outlets closer than Gilroy (1 hr vs 1.5 hrs)?

I also booked resos for Gary Danko - it's my gf's birthday and first time to SF. I hear its awesome! Oh and I saw on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives a place called HRD which I'm hoping to check out. Looks so good.

I'll have to figure out how to use the transit pass, but should be fun. I went once to SF 8, 9 years ago, but i remember Lombard street being just okay haha. I mean...its just a windy street lol. Although I did walk it and i hear its fun to drive.

Save your trip for next year so you can do nude run.

http://baretobreakers.com/

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:47 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

In addition to what's already been mentioned (though I'd personally skip Alcatraz cause I thought it was pretty disappointing), I'd recommend doing a ghost tour. Anytime I go traveling, it's always first on my list of things to do if I've never been on one in that city. Whether or not you believe in that sort of hokey stuff, it's a really great way to learn about the history and some of the urban legends and stories in the area that some locals may not even be aware of.

I did this one back in January
    http://www.sfghosthunt.com

I've probably done about 10 ghost tours and I saw the most fucked up thing on this tour, but I won't spoil the surprise in case anyone goes haha! You'll know it when you see it.

When I went to Gary Danko last summer I found the food was good, but there are some places in Calgary I'd pick over Gary Danko in terms of quality. However, the service there is unbeatable, I think that's where they get their super high ratings, so if you don't end up getting a reservation there, its not like you're missing out on some seriously mouth watering food..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3