Quantcast
Where to park near Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to park near Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Where to park near Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton?

Hi Guys,

Not sure which section to put this in, so will put it here for now.

First time going to the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton on Saturday for a Woman's world cup game, and want to know where people would recommend to park around there. I looked at google maps and their lot doesn't look very big at all.....any insider tips appreciated.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was there for the opening ceremonies and Canada-China and New Zealand-Netherlands games. Commonwealth is not well setup for when they are at capacity ( the opening ceremonies was apparently the fullest they had been since the grey cup).

That being said i would not park anywhere near the stadium. You ticket gets you free access to buses and the train for 2 hours before and after the game. I would take advantage of that and park somewhere where you can take the train to the stadium.

Personally we left the car at the hotel and walked to the train ( 3km cause my friends a dunce and doesn't know how to use a map when booking a hotel).

Also Cabs in Edmonton are dirt cheap and plentiful. it was like 15 dollars to get us from the Canadian brewhouse where we went after the game down to UofA where out hotel was. So that's a good option for getting to the train.

The train was very full so plan to be at the stadium well in advance of when you need to because its doubtful you get on the first one.

Also the people who work at the stadium are largely incompetent geriatrics who cant handle the stadium being any fuller than an Eskimo game. The line to get food and drinks was 40 minutes long. ( you will miss the game basically ). So don't plan on having any food or drinks when you are there. It sucks but it is the way it is. Fortunately the bathroom lines were fine. Also fifa rules prohibit you from having caps on your water/pops so that prohibits you from just going and getting like 8 bottles to carry back to your seat ( they don't want you whip;ping bottles at people)

Guzzle some water in advance of the game and go for a meal beforehand, the food sucked anyways ( i went during the gap between games and almost missed the start of the second)

You will have a great time I'm just trying to give you a heads up of the unexpected stuff I experienced.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Definitely don't try and park around commonwealth unless you arrive super early and can park on someone's lawn for $20. Best bet is the LRT but some of the park n ride lots on the outskirts fill very quickly. Are you staying anywhere in Edmonton? Or just there for the day? Might help in making a better suggestion for you.

Either way parking at the LRT is probably the best bet.

Also uber is avail in Edmonton.

Originally posted by killramos
    I was there for the opening ceremonies and Canada-China and New Zealand-Netherlands games. Commonwealth is not well setup for when they are at capacity ( the opening ceremonies was apparently the fullest they had been since the grey cup).

That being said i would not park anywhere near the stadium. You ticket gets you free access to buses and the train for 2 hours before and after the game. I would take advantage of that and park somewhere where you can take the train to the stadium.

Personally we left the car at the hotel and walked to the train ( 3km cause my friends a dunce and doesn't know how to use a map when booking a hotel).

Also Cabs in Edmonton are dirt cheap and plentiful. it was like 15 dollars to get us from the Canadian brewhouse where we went after the game down to UofA where out hotel was. So that's a good option for getting to the train.

The train was very full so plan to be at the stadium well in advance of when you need to because its doubtful you get on the first one.

Also the people who work at the stadium are largely incompetent geriatrics who cant handle the stadium being any fuller than an Eskimo game. The line to get food and drinks was 40 minutes long. ( you will miss the game basically ). So don't plan on having any food or drinks when you are there. It sucks but it is the way it is. Fortunately the bathroom lines were fine. Also fifa rules prohibit you from having caps on your water/pops so that prohibits you from just going and getting like 8 bottles to carry back to your seat ( they don't want you whip;ping bottles at people)

Guzzle some water in advance of the game and go for a meal beforehand, the food sucked anyways ( i went during the gap between games and almost missed the start of the second)

You will have a great time I'm just trying to give you a heads up of the unexpected stuff I experienced.
    Hotel by the U of A but 3 km to the train? Something doesn't add up..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by lasimmon

Hotel by the U of A but 3 km to the train? Something doesn't add up..
    lol well the hotel was on university ave so i assumed it was near the school ( i know about nothing about Edmonton ), just looked on a map. Not so much . Hotel was university ave and gateway

Might have been faster to walk to U of A and take the train downtown but we just walked straight to DT from the hotel to get lunch before the game and watch the champions league match. Was a decent walk anyways

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Originally posted by killramos

lol well the hotel was on university ave so i assumed it was near the school ( i know about nothing about Edmonton ), just looked on a map. Not so much . Hotel was university ave and gateway

Might have been faster to walk to U of A and take the train downtown but we just walked straight to DT from the hotel to get lunch before the game and watch the champions league match. Was a decent walk anyways
    Ah yes the University ave gets em every time

My Ride

Cool thanks for all the info guys. I am only going for the game. Planning on leaving around 9AM, get there around noon, grab some quick fastfood and head to the stadium for the 2PM game. Perhaps I will leave earlier as it sounds like its going to be a little bit of a pain getting there.

So Edmonton has free park and ride like Calgary? And do I just have to have my tickets in hand to show the transit police if asked to get the free transit?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...p-service.aspx

Gives you all the transportation details!

fact.

My Ride
    Ford

uber available also.
    Last edited by blairtruck; 06-24-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride

So I am stupid, i spend the last 30 minutes looking at this stupid LRT information and so confused. They list like 5 park and ride locations...but looking online...there seems to be many more....are the ones listed just the closest? It says something about 90 min before the game park and ride is available...is it not available before then....and is it free normally like in Calgary or is there a fee? I understand it's free with my ticket...but only at the 5 listed? So confused. I hate Edmonton

Park n ride means you can park your car and hit the lrt without Paying for parking. You still pay for the LRT unless your tickets mention they include this. The parking lots are all free already so not sure why they say it starts 90 min before game

My Ride

So went to the game (yay Japan!) and took the train from university station. We parked at Timm's underground parking, was $5 on the weekends for the whole day so was well worth it instead of having my car bake all day in the sun. The LRT took me right there nice and easy.

I think I understand why they had those designated lots mentioned and the transit 90 minute thing....they had a ton of buses going from those locations to the stadium directly. I didn't want to take the bus and wanted to use the rails. I think the most confusing thing was park and ride lots that were NOWHERE near LRT....not used to that as in Calgary our park and ride lots are mostly at all the train stops.