Quantcast
Accounting: SAIT Applied Degree vs. U of L Degree - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Accounting: SAIT Applied Degree vs. U of L Degree

Default Accounting: SAIT Applied Degree vs. U of L Degree

I just decided to make this thread since I just read one about the Management BA program.

To sum it up, I'm going to be graduating the SAIT BA Accounting program this semester (hopefully) with a diploma and the options for me afterwards is to apply for the SAIT applied degree program or the transfer to the U of L accounting degree program.

I believe I have the marks to get into either program but currently i'm leaning more towards the SAIT applied degree program. I'm not really school oriented (don't think I can stand two more years of actual studies) and i'm interested in how the Applied degree has a 2-4 month co-op experience incorporated in the remainining two years.

I understand this whole discussion would involve what I plan to do afterwards (designation wise) and which employers and opportunities I will be looking for. I ain't exactly wanting to become a CA or anything (that's for now only though) and I just want opportunities that won't leave me at the bottom of the organization and will allow me to advance.

So my question for fellow beyonders who have gone through this whole situation is...am i making a mistake by not going to U of L and getting a bachelor's degree and instead going for an applied degree (not as well recognized)?

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

I've talked to friends in the program and some employers about the applied degree...they said its a waste and not really recognized...goto U of L and get the bachelors, besides its only open to accounting grads from sait anways if you transfer.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

the problem with SAITS applied degrees are that they are not recognized by different certifications that are usually required. I dont think the accounting one can get you a CGA, and I know the Engineering applied degree cannot get you a P.Eng, if you want to spend two more years, at least make it worth your while and go somewhere they are recognized
    Cos...

My Ride
    the batmobile

dude, no question, go to u of l. if u do the applied, ur just burning down ur bridges for future career advancement. go to u of l, and after get a designation. even if u can get a designation with an applied degree technically, the chances of an employer choosing a person with an applied degree over someone with a university degree is slim, leaving u with shit jobs to chose from who don't offer the opportunity for designation status (cuz they're not affiliated with a designation program. you don't be working at joe blows personal tax services all day for the rest of ur life. u'll regret it later if u do the sait thing. the u of l actually has a pretty good accounting program, and all the major CA firms do recruiting there. even if u want to be a CGA or CMA ur way better off getting the u of l degree. its only two years man, and its the difference between getting paid $35,000 a year in a dead end job forever, and the potential for over $100,000 a year in a job that leads to other major corporate roles (if u get a CA, but even a CMA has the potential for six figures and corporate advancement). don't burn ur bridges, ur too young to settle for less for the rest of ur life. think about it like this 2 years of shit for a solid future, or 2 years of ease for a future of shit. u choose man.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

As stated before, UofL.

You can always do a co-op work term here (im at UL) for 4, 8, 12 months. Im in general management and the options are slim, but accounting has a ton of postings.

My Ride
    Bicycle

SAIT hasn't done enough to advertise the degree. Better than not having one and schedule does quite fit around your day job. But if you have time and a choice, go to U of L.

Aight thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and study for another 2 years. I never realized the degree program was that underrated.

So I will apply to U of L, and if I can get in then I will take that route, if not I'll have to accept the applied degree route.

You should probably do a little bit more research for yourself before you decide.

SAIT's applied degree majoring in Accounting is acceptable for both CGA and CMA. For CGA, a degree is an exit requirement, meaning that you can still pursue it as long as you have a degree when you are done. All your prerequisites for CMA can be done at SAIT except for one: Operations Management.

All employers look for a wide range of talent. A lot of employers like that you have practical experience, that which the SAIT applied degree offers.

With SAIT's degree, you will be limited with the education you can pursue, but how far you go with your career will depend on your skills and attitude. You won't likely be able to pursue a master's degree with a SAIT degree.

I think SAIT has its place for those who want to start a new career, and for those who want technical skills with their education.

On the flip side, I don't like how SAIT advertises its "successes." The numbers that they publish don't tell you everything. I see the 97% employment for SAIT graduates all the time. What I don't believe is that all 97% of those graduates were employed in jobs related to their training. How many of those jobs could have been achieved without SAIT's training? I believe that some of SAIT's programs are complete garbage.
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.