Quantcast
Admission to U of C Fall 07 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Admission to U of C Fall 07

Default Admission to U of C Fall 07

My friend, shes 20, goes to MRC at the moment. She really wants to get into U of C for the fall. she doesn't have the best GPA tho. shes been asking me what she should apply for in the fall. i was showing her the admission averages for the last two years. and she wants an idea whts the best program to apply in. she wants to end up getting a econ degree at the end. her current gpa is around 2.12 or so....any ideas? of a good program to apply to or so..for fall..or if she would even be able to get in

thanks

My Ride
    Nothing

Talk to a guidance counselor at MRC and at UofC. That's her best bet.

My Ride
    dulls my senses

Shell have a hell of a time getting in with a 2.12. Thats almost flunking out, and usually transferring is pretty high requirements. Id be surprised if she could get in with any less then about a 2.6 or 2.7.

Shes gonna have to hit the books hard and wait a year till that gpa is higher.

U of C is one of the weaker universities in Canada but I don't think it's weak enough to let someone in with a C average.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Tell her to get into a math program. Probably the least favorite to anyone, thus easiest (I think, don't quote me on it though) so I'm sure the GPA transfer rate is a measly 2.0.

No offense, but getting a 2.12 isn't really wanting to do a hell of a lot, especially when you're really wanting to get admitted into a university.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah a 2.12 at MRC is pretty weak, even if she got into the U of C she would most definitely get owned there

My Ride
    03' B6

i think minimum 2.5 is usually the transfer gpa for most faculties... besides haskaynes, schulich, and social work programs..

go check the website

My Ride
    Upass

Heres the transfer averages that were required for the last two years.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/ad...teria_avg.html

There were still a ton of programs that only required a 2.0 So just apply to anyone of those, but I would suggest something like physics or comm and culture, the Earth science ones (geology geophysics ect) can fluctuate alot in one year and she may get screwed over. If she gets into any program then she can take whatever courses she wants. Its my understanding that you have to either transfer in first year or third year to get into business. So she could just finish up the first two years while she is in another program and then try to transfer into third year, but she is going to have to try alot harder, because you need a 3.0 to get into business.
    Last edited by Nav13; 03-11-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Originally posted by Nav13
    Heres the transfer averages that were required for the last two years.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/ad...teria_avg.html

There were still a ton of programs that only required a 2.0 So just apply to anyone of those, but I would suggest something like physics or comm and culture, the Earth science ones (geology geophysics ect) can fluctuate alot in one year and she may get screwed over. If she gets into any program then she can take whatever courses she wants. Its my understanding that you have to either transfer in first year or third year to get into business. So she could just finish up the first two years while she is in another program and then try to transfer into third year, but she is going to have to try alot harder, because you need a 3.0 to get into business.

Thanks...It says..that Humanities is also a 2.0 and it has been that way the past two years...anyone think that would be a good bet for her ?

2.12? Haha good luck to your friend. That was my cumulative gpa going to MRC after one year and I dropped out. That was considering I didn't do nothing there and for all tests I just crammed. I went there right after high school knowing nothing about studying habits, etc. (Did absolutely no studying in HS)

I believe if your friend waits till she's 21, she can get into many programs since she'll be going in as a mature adult and acceptance is much more easy.

If she gets into U, you better advise her to reduce her partying, working, and put some commitment into her schooling.

My Ride
    Upass

Originally posted by Dren

Thanks...It says..that Humanities is also a 2.0 and it has been that way the past two years...anyone think that would be a good bet for her ?
    Yea humanities seems to be fairly consistent through out the years at 2.0, another good one is natural sciences, that one never leaves 2.0. In the end it doesnt really matter which one she chooses, Haskayne wont look at which department you are transfering from, only the courses you have completed and your gpa. See the thing is, sometimes courses fill up fast, and if your in the degree program the department will help you out to get into that class, but if your not, they don't go out of their way to help you get into a full class, other then if the prof is willing to overload the course. Either way she wont be in business anyways so it doesnt matter which program she transfers into. But yea Humanities will be fine too, just make sure she registers as soon as she can, if shes gets admission, I hear business courses fill up fast.

Tell her to just go into general, which is a 2.0. Then she can take whatever courses she wants while she gets her GPA up before transfering to Econ, which will be a 2.5-2.7.

Originally posted by De Dutch
    Tell her to just go into general, which is a 2.0. Then she can take whatever courses she wants while she gets her GPA up before transfering to Econ, which will be a 2.5-2.7.
    Thanks...thats under the Communication and Culture...under...the General Degree Programs..im guessing ?

Anyone thing General Humanities..would be a good bet ?