Quantcast
Is it legal to keep certain items in a car - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to keep certain items in a car

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by Kaos

Supposibly a baton is still consider a weapon. The cop told me to get out of my car and I told him no!
    I asked him why I go pulled over and he said I looked suspicious and that I look like a suspect from a previous bank robbery. PLEASE! so he told me if I dont get out of my car that he would pull me out using brute force....
    WTF???

So I got out of my car, and they were searching through my car and found a baton, the cop then asked me,
    "Whats this for?" I said
    "For protection"
    so the cop gave me a concealed weapons charge.....

and this was when I was in CALGARY!
    NOw you know why I hate PIGS! serve and protect my ass!

Well, what do you expect? Cop asks you to get out of your car -- unless you have a real good reason (read: something to hide) why not simply comply so you get sent on your way quickly.

I am willing to bet if you had a better attitude with the cop you wouldn't have gotten the charge -- just the 'ol stern talking to.

Also, telling a cop that any item in your car is for protection is kind of asking for it as well.
    Originally posted by sml
    So, since when does torque win races?

My Ride
    1998 Neon MTX Sedan

A bucket of golf balls in the back makes for some swell high-speed-out-the-sunroof projectiles. It also justifies the pitching wedge.

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

i had a baton in my ride when i got pulled over and the cop asked " what is this for?", i told him it was a fish bonker... as told to by the guy at spy city the cop couldnt do sheit, lol
    Solid Gino......

My Ride
    04 STi

Keep a T-ball bat with an old ball glove on the bottom of it. The glove takes all the bad out of the situation. I got brass knuckles in TJ, but I think they would hurt my hand as much as they hurt someone.

Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
    i had a baton in my ride when i got pulled over and the cop asked " what is this for?", i told him it was a fish bonker... as told to by the guy at spy city the cop couldnt do sheit, lol
    Those two guys at the Spy vs. Spy store (when it used to be in Penny Lane Mall) are pretty cool, they always say if you plan on carrying a weapon, have some 'reasonable' explanation for having it to stay out of trouble.

I was pulled over one time and searched for weaponry and when the cops asked about them, I honestly replied "for self-defense". BIG MISTAKE.

I actually bought a real fish bonker from Canadian tire and the cashier looks at me funny and says "What's this for?" I say "I'm going fishing." He says "Well.....have fun FISHING."
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    '01 mazda 626

Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Not really a concealed weapon. But didn't Alberta outlaw Pepper Spray a few years ago? I thought you could only get it in the States now?
    i think thats mase? because i know some girls who carry pepper spray and its legal here in ontario

mase and pepper spray are 2 different things i think ...
    made up of different components. . .

mace=spray
    mase=

My Ride
    2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by Kaos

Supposibly a baton is still consider a weapon. The cop told me to get out of my car and I told him no!
    I asked him why I go pulled over and he said I looked suspicious and that I look like a suspect from a previous bank robbery. PLEASE! so he told me if I dont get out of my car that he would pull me out using brute force....
    WTF???

So I got out of my car, and they were searching through my car and found a baton, the cop then asked me,
    "Whats this for?" I said
    "For protection"
    so the cop gave me a concealed weapons charge.....

and this was when I was in CALGARY!
    NOw you know why I hate PIGS! serve and protect my ass!

um... you should've got a lawyer and fought the ticket. It would probably be thrown out of court. Just that MOST people don't fight these kind of tickets and these cops get away with these kind harassment.

In court, he would even have to PROVE that their was actually a recent robbery with the suspect matching your exact descriptions... or else searching your car is an invasion of privacy (even if he finds lots of Cocaine or other weapons in your car), it will be thrown out of court and you will be charged with NOTHING.

You can carry pretty much any NON-PROHIBITED weapons in your car and cannot get charged at all.... RESTRICTED Weapons (most hanguns) require a procedure for storage in your vehicle, a reason for transportation and a valid license for possessing the weapon such as the PAL (Possession and Acquisition's License) for restricted weapons.

With POL (Possession Only License) or a PAL ... I can have a M-16 (5 rounds capacity, semi-automatic) Rifle on the floor of my car... unloaded, but with a box of bullets next to the gun..... and I CANNOT get charged. The gun cannot be carried in my vehicle where its visible to the general public... otherwise it fine...

I need a M-16 for gopher hunting...

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red

um... you should've got a lawyer and fought the ticket. It would probably be thrown out of court. Just that MOST people don't fight these kind of tickets and these cops get away with these kind harassment.

How was this harrassment? The cop made a simple request and he got attitude back. "Step out of the car" "No!" -- what do you expect him to do? Let the guy do his job, if you haven't done anything wrong there is no reason to automatically have a bad attitude towards a cop.

In court, he would even have to PROVE that their was actually a recent robbery with the suspect matching your exact descriptions... or else searching your car is an invasion of privacy (even if he finds lots of Cocaine or other weapons in your car), it will be thrown out of court and you will be charged with NOTHING.
    Actually, no he doesn't have to prove anything once the person gave him a reason to be suspicious. He asked him to get out fo the car, he refused -- thats a red flag and probable cause for a search. Bad attitude breeds bad attitude.

You can carry pretty much any NON-PROHIBITED weapons in your car and cannot get charged at all.... RESTRICTED Weapons (most hanguns) require a procedure for storage in your vehicle, a reason for transportation and a valid license for possessing the weapon such as the PAL (Possession and Acquisition's License) for restricted weapons.

With POL (Possession Only License) or a PAL ... I can have a M-16 (5 rounds capacity, semi-automatic) Rifle on the floor of my car... unloaded, but with a box of bullets next to the gun..... and I CANNOT get charged. The gun cannot be carried in my vehicle where its visible to the general public... otherwise it fine...

I need a M-16 for gopher hunting...
    Are you a lawyer? Have you tested this theory? If you are riding around with a baseball bat between your door and seat -- they can and will charge you for having a concealed weapon if you are dumb enough to tell them thats what it is for. Same goes for batons same goes for mace/pepper spray and even a tire iron. But these in the trunk and its no longer an issue.

Why not put the M16 on the floor of your car and test this theory -- I am willing to bet you would be drug out of the car and cuffed.

Its has been a while since I owned any firearms but back when I did (easily 10 years ago in BC) you had to have a specific permit for each weapon and a specific carry permit to carry it from the range/hunting area etc...

The gun needs to be reasonably secured (on the floor of your car is not reasonably secured), unloaded, and you must travel directly from your home to the range and back. AFAIK there are even regulations about trigger locks during transport.

Stopping at the mall on the way home would get your weapons taken away. In the event you are pulled over you are also obligated to inform the officer that you have a weapon, present your permit and inform him were the gun is stored in the vehicle.

I am all for personal protection but in reality half of these kids would shit their pants before they used a bat or baton anyways so whats the point?
    Originally posted by sml

My Ride
    1998 Neon MTX Sedan

The easiest weapon to get away with is a steering wheel club. They are study, a good swinging size, and there is little to no question as to why you have it easily accessable.

They do cost a bit, but so does the golf club you will do doubt break when you fuse it to somebody's skull.

My Ride
    Corolla

I would say, carry one of those Big Ass SureFire Flashlights! You can blind ppl while wacking them in the head..... I mean they help you fix your car when it breaks down at nite

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The problem with items such as "the club", flashlight, a golf club etc is that they arent very threatening and that the llikely hood of actually having to use it is far greater than if you pull a machete or even a baton. You pull a machete and most people will run, you pull out "the club" and you may have a fight on your hands, I think the baseball bat is the most threatening while at the same time being less obvious to the law
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Corolla

how about airsoft guns?? MP5K with the newer high current battery and high cap magazine (150shots?)... ok bad idea ... never carry any firearm toys/replica in public unless you want a swat team at your house

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Superesc
    how about airsoft guns?? MP5K with the newer high current battery and high cap magazine (150shots?)... ok bad idea ... never carry any firearm toys/replica in public unless you want a swat team at your house
    Thanks for the idea Calvin... do you want me to get arrested because I promise you Id spend all my time in jail planning your demise (j/k)
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    The problem with items such as "the club", flashlight, a golf club etc is that they arent very threatening and that the llikely hood of actually having to use it is far greater than if you pull a machete or even a baton. You pull a machete and most people will run, you pull out "the club" and you may have a fight on your hands, I think the baseball bat is the most threatening while at the same time being less obvious to the law
    Good point. Although if things escalate to the point that you are pulling a weapon -- no matter what it is -- you may be angry enough to want the fight.
    Originally posted by sml

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

As soon as I get insurance, I think I will be carrying a baseball bat, Although I wish my airsoft was legal in Canada and then that would be my weapon of choice.

And does anyone know where I could get more ammo for it?
    It is .24 Caliber (6.0mm)

I checked Canadian Tire and no luck.

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by Hash_man
    As soon as I get insurance, I think I will be carrying a baseball bat, Although I wish my airsoft was legal in Canada and then that would be my weapon of choice.

And does anyone know where I could get more ammo for it?
    It is .24 Caliber (6.0mm)

I checked Canadian Tire and no luck.
    Its been a while but the Spy Shop used to carry ammo.

I am off to Japan Wednesday so I plan on picking a couple airsoft guns up and shipping them back home. PM me if you want me to pick up ammo but I am going to be there for 2 months so if you dont want to wait you are outta luck......
    Originally posted by sml

My Ride
    2000 Honda Prelude

whats the max size that you can have a blade that is illigal
    cuz i got a nice one and it is about 8" and 4" handle

My Ride
    '80 Corvette, highly modified

My protection is a Doberman and a handy Walther PK 380. I don't care much if they look or not, it is my life. That is why I have a concealed weapons permit. Sometimes the .380 is exchanged for the Ruger S&W .40 auto.
    Ron

My Ride
    MTA

You guys are all messed. If you have a weapon in the trunk, good luck getting it out while people work on you. Come on, seriously, you think you'll have time to get back to you car, pop the trunk, grab your weapon and use it??? Are you just trying to be hard core by carrying a weapon?? I don't care what neighborhood you live in Toronto you don't need a weapon, and if you do it's cause you're causing shit and making trouble.

Mace, and pepper spray are illegal in Canada, bear spray can be purchased at your local Canadian Tire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast