Quantcast
Cameras Downtown? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Yes/No Surveillance Cameras Downtown/East Village

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, put them up. Officers cannot be everywhere and if something does happen, people will ask where the cameras were.

64 71.11%
  • No, once they start putting up cameras in high crime areas, they will pop up everywhere else. I don't like the fact that people are watching me.

26 28.89%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cameras Downtown?

Default Cameras Downtown?

There has been some debate as to weather the City should put up cameras in high crime areas in and around the Downtown core/East Village.

What do you think?
    Last edited by l8braker; 03-14-2007 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

I wouldn't mind them, if they are for certain areas only...watched a discovery channel show about the cam's in london, and how crime has gone down huge amounts since they started installing them..

Mainly east village/drop-in centre only tho...

My Ride
    '09 STi

I think it is good idea too. A much better idea than speed cameras!

My Ride
    Bicycle

I want cameras in the core and all roads that have speed limits over 80km/h, streamed real-time on internet.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

im for it.. britan used to have crazy street violence and i noticed when i was there that you cant go anywhere without being on CCTV..some call it an invasion of privacy but i think it lowers crime more effectively than anything else. its about time they start putting pressure on the drug dealers and car theives around there...
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    im for it.. britan used to have crazy street violence and i noticed when i was there that you cant go anywhere without being on CCTV..some call it an invasion of privacy but i think it lowers crime more effectively than anything else. its about time they start putting pressure on the drug dealers and car theives around there...
    I can see how some people feel weird about "someone" watching them, but you're in public, almost everyone could be watching you at one point or another and you wouldn't think twice about it.

I think it's a good idea. Whether it will actually deter crimes from happening is another story. Although if the crimes do happen, at least CPO's have an edge in the case already with the possibility of visuals and knowing exactly what happened, instead of relying sometimes on two different stories.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-14-2007 at 07:12 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

I'm all for it.. too much BS in this city now.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

Why not? They have cameras almost everywhere else you go.

No - they are useless [Vote: 1]
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

HELL NO!
    Im sick of the gov't to snoop on us , even when people dont do anything wrong.. Aussie and UK are horrible for having cameras everywhere and i hate the feeling of being watched.

Maybe they should have more POLICE influence in those areas , not freakin cameras.... its just an excuse to throw them everywhere.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    2009 Forester

it's not realistic to have dozens or hundreds of beat cops when you can have cameras monitoring a much larger area and dispatch the police quickly should something happen.

It's about efficient use of resources.

Cameras on public streets wouldn't be an invasion of privacy since you don't really have an expectation of privacy while walking on a city street.

Those of you who object to cameras, do you ever go to a shopping center or walk the +15 downtown or take the C-Train? If you do i hope you're smiling because you're on camera.
    Tim

It would be great to have more beat cops but do you really want your taxes to go up to 60-70% to pay for them? Cameras in public places would help curb some of the violence and probably solve a bunch of traffic incidents by proving who did what.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't do anything out on Stephen Ave or the C-train areas that would warrant the police to come after me so what do I care if they have a camera to catch the people that do.

There is going to far though in terms of privacy so they would need to be selective of how many and where these cameras would go

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I dont like the fact that big brother is coming up! Sure Justice needs to be upheld but not at the sacrafice of our freeedom. The Camras in Brittan are crazy, if you litter. some person would say "excuse me sir/ms would you please put that in the garbage,please" Non the less, i think camras are an invasion of privacy!

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    No - they are useless [Vote: 1]

Vote: 16

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i would think that if they put cameras up downtown they would have to put them up everywhere, since people will know that the cameras are there they will just move to where they are not

so where would it stop? it would have to be city wide or you would just be shifting where the criminal activity occurs

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I'm all for it.

the safest form of society is a police state. Is that what you people want? Governments always ease the stupid public into giving up their freedoms with seemingly benign things like setting up cameras in "danger zones". Things that people don’t really mind and think it keeps them safe. Freedoms are always taken away one small bit at a time. You'll hear phrases like "for the children, for a safer society etc." as propaganda slogans to garner support for these methods. Ahhh the stupidity of people knows no bounds. People deserve to be caged and controlled like animals as they brought it onto themselves.

Will the cameras at least have signs under them saying “Big Brother is watching you”?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Good call. Let's bypass the cameras and overthrow the government. Seeing as Fidel seems to be getting healthy again, maybe we can borrow Raul to run the joint for a while. Remember: communism isn't an ideology, it's a way of life.

Viva la Revolucion!

if they can put cameras downtown, how far away is it that they put cameras in your car, in your house, etc. It's like taxes, you give up 1$ to all these little groups, and pretty soon your paying half your salary to the government.

My Ride

Hey, i'm all for cameras. It will give my family alot of solice when they track down the cracked out junkie that will stab me to death for smokes while waiting for the bus past 6 pm, and subesquenty sentance him to rehab followed by a few years of psychiatric care. One ounce of evidence is worth ten pounds of safety is what i always say. Mabey someone will even observe my slaying and kindly dispatch an ambulance to my corpse after carefully noting which direction the hooded methhead went.
    Last edited by Crymson; 03-19-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast