Quantcast
studying tips - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: studying tips

Default studying tips

im having trouble studying, like i read the text, take the notes but it doesnt seem to work for me during exams, when i sit down and do it it doesnt seem to pop out of my mind, and also any good ways of studying?

i am hoping that i can get better tips so i can ace my bio 30 exam since its a couple of months away i want to start studying for it..

thanks!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

take notes from the text. Make up some questions, then go over your notes/questions until you can pretty much memorize it.

#1 tip: stay off beyond.
    #2 tip: hire a non-skanky tutor.
    #3 tip: write and re-write everything out over and over.

Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
    #1 tip: stay off beyond.
    haha beyond is the worst for when your studying
    i'll go on and before i know it i've wasted 2 hours

My Ride
    02 Accord

I remember in University I was in a class I just hated... Oh History. I had a failing grade, 56% going into the final. I was like mmmmk, study all day, roughly 6 hours and pass this shit. I took one of those red rockets, (ephdrine) and in about 5 mins I was wide awake. When I was taking the test 6 hours later, I was still wide awake and had photo graphic memory. Aced the shit, 76% final grade, which means I musta just owned that test. Haha dont do it unless its a final or midterm though, shits bad for you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Stay off beyond, it seriously wastes studying time like no other (like right now for instance!).

With Bio classes, it's a lot of knowing how things work together. Diagrams! Write information about each stage, chemicals involved, a description of what is going on.

Everyone has a studying style that works for them and it really is hard to give advice that's "just do this man, it works everytime". It just doesn't work like that.

Here is how I studying:

- Write things in concise form from my notes from class. Then do the same from the textbook. Splice them together. This is why taking notes is handy on the computer because A) it's easier to conjoin them and B) you can just print them off and read em' on the can or something. Plus I have brutal handwriting so the notes are actually legible.

- Get a good idea of what I think I know.

- Do the questions in the textbook, even if they're not assigned. This for me is really hard to do but it's worth it. If you can get old exams or even a study guide with more questions, get it. I find my best learning comes from understanding where I went wrong on the question. I generally have a good idea of what's going on but it's until the questions come (and I usually panic it's retarded) that the thinking really gets going.

Hope that helps but again, studying style varies between students so much that one style doesn't work for everyone.
    Ultracrepidarian

your still in highschool and i really recommend getting the Key.
    Like msommers said the best tool for studying biology 30 is to make the diagrams over and over again until you are able to do it on your own, so that during the exam you can draw it out and recognize it.
    also reread things in the text until you get it, and try to corelate it with something you already know very well, the more visual you can make it the better. this helped me get a 95 in bio 30 for final grade.

good luck!

Originally posted by Jackc

haha beyond is the worst for when your studying
    i'll go on and before i know it i've wasted 2 hours
    i'm lost a numerous amount of hours in the last couple years due to beyond when i was suppose to study.

The MC part of the bio 30 diploma is EASY!

for me the written was the hard part. The key is alright, but go to http://diplomaprep.com/

email the guy and ask if you can buy his packages. tell him pat sent you.

My Ride
    GSR

Go to the diploma prep that you have to pay for, I took them for math, bio, and chem and did really well on all of the diplomas.

My Ride
    Toyota

just do those books with old exams in them
    and as someone mentioned the diagrams help
    especially for bio
    and use anagrams or something familar to remember all the terms and stuff from bio
    theres lots of memorization for that

^ thats why the Cheiffo books rock! they have the diagrams, then some info, and the previous Q's

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Here's something I used to do in university. You've got en entire text book to learn right? It's filled half with material you know from going to class and half with formulas and numbers, basically things you have to kind of memorize. So what you have to do is separate the stuff you have to memorize from the stuff you already know and get a condensed version to study. To do this, I first went through all of my notes and when I came to something a little challening, I wouldn't waste my time switching my brain to memorizing mode and sit there trying to remember it, I'd get the basic idea, write it out on a piece of paper for later and move on. Eventually when you're done, you'll have extra pieces of paper, about 5-6 pages, of stuff you have to sit down and crunch into your head. The rest you just understand from reading the book and going to class. So now you no longer have to try and pick out the important things from the text book, it's all on a condensed few pages and you can figure them out at your own liesure.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Civic SiG

I have studied the same way for years...I currently go to MRC (4 year degree), but I used these tricks in high school as well. I get really good grades, and usually spend much less time studying than other students. I’m not saying I’m a brainiac, I just have really good techniques that work.

1. The first step to studying IMO, is to rewrite all of your notes not type, WRITE (by hand). Re-write notes from class, and from the textbook. Most people disagree, because it takes so long and seem like a waste of time, however, it solidifies all of your current knowledge so you now where to focus. It also force your brain to figure out what you’re reading, and put it down on paper. Writing also helps with the written portion of the exam (if you have already written something out before hand you will find it much easier to get it out again in the test situation. This process may take a few hours, depending how fast you write, but if you do it 1/2 of your studying is over.

* When you rewrite make sure your are really concentrating on what you are writing, and trying to paraphrase it so it makes sense to you.

2. Study a past copy of the exam...I know with high school diploma exams they offer a package with old sample exams. BUY IT.

These test do not change much...you may be asked a question very similar to one you have studied, and then you already know how to answer it. Also you will do better on a test if you have studied the way you are tested.

3. Use stupid sayings to memorize facts. If i remember correctly form Bio you will have to label diagrams, or be tested on straight memorization of facts. Take the first letter from each word and make up sayings. This may sound ghey to you, but your brain will find it much easier to remember a silly rhyming phrase or a saying about someone you know, than a 4-syllable word regarding human biological function.

* use my ideas or not…but they seriously work, and take half the time it does to trying to read and remember all that info. Also take a lot of breaks.

You can't start a fire without a spark

My Ride
    '05 G35x, '04 E53, '98 E36

Originally posted by SiG Baby
    I have studied the same way for years...I currently go to MRC (4 year degree), but I used these tricks in high school as well. I get really good grades, and usually spend much less time studying than other students. I’m not saying I’m a brainiac, I just have really good techniques that work.

1. The first step to studying IMO, is to rewrite all of your notes not type, WRITE (by hand). Re-write notes from class, and from the textbook. Most people disagree, because it takes so long and seem like a waste of time, however, it solidifies all of your current knowledge so you now where to focus. It also force your brain to figure out what you’re reading, and put it down on paper. Writing also helps with the written portion of the exam (if you have already written something out before hand you will find it much easier to get it out again in the test situation. This process may take a few hours, depending how fast you write, but if you do it 1/2 of your studying is over.

* When you rewrite make sure your are really concentrating on what you are writing, and trying to paraphrase it so it makes sense to you.

2. Study a past copy of the exam...I know with high school diploma exams they offer a package with old sample exams. BUY IT.

These test do not change much...you may be asked a question very similar to one you have studied, and then you already know how to answer it. Also you will do better on a test if you have studied the way you are tested.

3. Use stupid sayings to memorize facts. If i remember correctly form Bio you will have to label diagrams, or be tested on straight memorization of facts. Take the first letter from each word and make up sayings. This may sound ghey to you, but your brain will find it much easier to remember a silly rhyming phrase or a saying about someone you know, than a 4-syllable word regarding human biological function.

* use my ideas or not…but they seriously work, and take half the time it does to trying to read and remember all that info. Also take a lot of breaks.
    great great help here!
    its very true, excellent studying techniques.
    Make sure you handwrite your notes and not type them... handwriting forces you to memorize the notes I believe

who studied in bio 30? haha I didnt ever go to that class and I got high 90's on every test. haha But i love bio comes easy to me

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by legereandrew4
    who studied in bio 30? haha I didnt ever go to that class and I got high 90's on every test. haha But i love bio comes easy to me
    thats great too bad no one gives a shit

My Ride
    Honda

^^ Yeah, no kidding

Offer some real study tips.... Like having a box of choco covered almonds with you for long sessions The sugar is good for energy and the nuts are healthy. That's what I tell myself anyway

LOL I studied for Bio 30...I dicked around all year because of people in my class, but I studied hard for the diploma...haha i cut out beyond and facebook for a whole month

Edit: WTF are you retaking Bio30?
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=168532

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

make up acronyms.

N-need recognition
    I-information search and evalutation
    P-purchase
    P-post purchase use and evaluation

Thats for the buyer decision making process.
    You could remember NIPP or make up something to do with a nipple and something you buy?? Whatever works is what I always say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast