Quantcast
Two Girls hit on 17th - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Two Girls hit on 17th

i think people in general on 17th ave should take extra care while driving down there..it a busy street...

My Ride
    Civic SiG

This is such a sad story...one moment that will change the lives of all involved forever. I am praying for a fast recovery for the girls.

This is so very unfortunate. It seems there has been alot of pedestrian accidents over the last year or so...people need to wake up and pay attention when they are dirving. I have seen pedestrians run acroos 17th on many occasions, you got to expect it and look out for it. If these girls were almost across the road there is NO reason the driver shouldn't have seen them.

But I guess he/she is going to have to live with that for the rest of there lives anyway.

You can't start a fire without a spark

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by CalgarySupra
    trashy area happens all the time, alcohol, bars, and more bars.

thats why i prefer 17 ave FOREST LAWN over 17 ave "Beltline" or whaver they call it.

one forest lawn, 17 ave, they people they have more class to actuallly use the cross walks, u do see some people jaywalking and majority of people use the cross walks.
    The ONLY similiarities in 17ave uptown, and 17 ave Forest Lawn is the damn digits. So you don't like bars, big whoop. The two roads are completely different.

17 ave Uptown is 95% of the time a 3 3/4 lane set up. Or a very tight 4 lane set up. If you have time to bust out of the ghetto and are able to drive 17th ave Uptown, you can commonly see broken or clipped side view mirrors on the northern most westbound lanes due to the tight fit, and if your lucky you might even see someones door crumpled length wise because people don't pay attention then either. 17 ave is a busy road for other reasons than forest lawn 17th by far.

It has nothing to do with class of people choosing to use crosswalks here more so than there. 17 ave Forest Lawn has traffic fed by the damn Deerfoot, and a highly populated area for a general lower class of lifestyle than that of 17th ave uptown.
    (disclaimer: not to be taken as a lower life crap area in comparison.)

17 ave uptown has only crosswalks at intersections, where as 17 ave forest lawn has MARKED AND LIT crosswalks not attached to intersections as well as the intersections themselves.

HUGE diffference my friend.

edit- even though this was at 7:00pm in the evening, one should relaize there is a damn school there. I know it is not a play ground zone, but really, schools = kids = pay more attention. Shit Pay more attention for the simple fact that 17 ave uptown is ALWAYS ALWAYS busy, and there are bars there. Bars=drunks= poor decisions. You have to watch out for this type of crap.
    Plain and simple it's a high risk area for collisions of all sorts.

Waaaay back in the day when I took driver training, (15 years ago ..ouch) they taught me how to calculate risk while driving. For every person, car, weather condition, etc...you can add 10% risk to having a collision or be involved in some sort of vehicular incident.

Apply that to 17 ave and it can be very risky.
    Last edited by Kona9; 03-17-2007 at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    Model S

trashy area happens all the time, alcohol, bars, and more bars.

thats why i prefer 17 ave FOREST LAWN over 17 ave "Beltline" or whaver they call it.

one forest lawn, 17 ave, they people they have more class to actuallly use the cross walks, u do see some people jaywalking and majority of people use the cross walks.
    hahahah, dude enough already

why do you make it your mission to claim that ghetto forest lawn is the holy grail of calgary? no one would live there over 17th ave, face it. nothing wrong with a little neighborhood pride but this is getting ridiculous

theres no shortage of shopping carts all over the roads or ripped couches on peoples front lawn, but yeah youre right, way more class up there

put away the anti-alcohol preaching too, people like drinking, welcome to canada

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by googe

hahahah, dude enough already

why do you make it your mission to claim that ghetto forest lawn is the holy grail of calgary? no one would live there over 17th ave, face it. nothing wrong with a little neighborhood pride but this is getting ridiculous

theres no shortage of shopping carts all over the roads or ripped couches on peoples front lawn, but yeah youre right, way more class up there

put away the anti-alcohol preaching too, people like drinking, welcome to canada
    Decent house and all, but does not match the description whatsoever in my opinion. Sounds like he is describing 17 ave uptown.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/164958/fs...e-area-329000/

all apologies on the hijack.

Anyword on the girls condition?
    Last edited by Kona9; 03-17-2007 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    Model S

^agreed, and the fact that the same property would fetch well over .5 mil on the REAL 17th ave sort of says something

haha @ "upscale 17 ave shopping"

Originally posted by suen17
    So now i'm curious. Even if that's a T-intersection, are parts of that particular intersection even considered to be a crosswalk?

For anyone that knows that intersection, there are little green posts linked with chains that i think are supposed to mark "no jaywalking." Subtle, but classy. However, legally, is there actually a crosswalk there, seeing how there are no street corners on the other side of the street. (refer to shit diagram... the places marked red, is that actually a crosswalk?)

I'm curious because I've crossed at that intersection too and almost got hit... Never again...
    Yes, it is.

Its because there are corners on the opposite sides. Its considered an uncontrolled intersection, but last night on global at 6 the girl interviewing a cop about it said "If I was with you in your uniform (the BRIGHT red jacket one), would you cross this intersection with me?" and he laughed and said not on his life.

Honestly they need to change the laws. IMO vehicles should have the right of way on roads EXCEPT on marked intersections or marked crosswalks. People have a problem w/ this, create more marked crosswalks. i honeslty do not have a problem with slowing down when i see a "pedestrian crosswalk ahead" sign. but unmarked/uncontrolled intersections when people are stepping out inbetween cars like this its just getting to risky.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I think Canadian cities should become more european.
    Turn some more streets into pedestrian only zones, or not allow traffic during certain times of the day/week maybe.

Block 17th ave from 4-10th off to traffic except cabs from 7pm friday to 7am sunday?

I duno, just a thought. Wouldn't allow all those fools to stunt up and down in those blocks..
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

^^ that's an even worse idea. All that traffic will be diverted onto the smaller streets which are lined with millions of cars. Any pedestrian popping out from between cars will more likely be hit (since we're on the topic of pedestrians)

Plus, the small 2 laned roads can barely handle two cars running side by side, and seeing how 17th was already narrow enough, I'd rather not take my chances and knock off some more mirrors or scratch my car.

I'd rather see more cops down there. Drug activity in that park, panhandlers everywhere, leaving trash, and after game nights there's puke everywhere. On top of that crack-down on the jaywalkers and also the pedestrians (students mainly) that cross on the flashing hand signal

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

I'm at the yardhose as we speak. You would not believe the amount of people that continually try to J-walk 17th in the same spot that the girls got hit. An elder lady with a cane directed by a younger lady jay walked no where near the corner crossing. Peiople just won't learn.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    1992.5 Toyota Supra Turbo US Model with Toyota Nav

Yes there are some differences, but i am just trying show the fact forest lawn is not the "ghetto" and its not a very nice thing to say they are lower class.

regarding the drinking comment, i am canadian, full canadian, and i can trace my anestors in this county over 2 centuries ago. but my point is when people are DRUNK more bad thigns happens, bad behavoir, this is a KNOWN fact.

17 ave sw is full of homeless, and theres drug addicats everywhere, i ALWAYS see people arrested police finding drugs on them, and theres always druggies behind the mcdonalds, that amount doesnt even compare to forest lawn

no its not my mission to make forest lawn sound its the best place in calgary ( i dont even live in forest lawn, but its just not fair or just to put a community down and consider them lower class)

yes 17 ave se is wider road, no one parks in the outer lanes, and according to a traffic engineer i know at the city, 17 ave se is mostly fed from blackfoot, and the downtown core.

any parent would prefer to rasie the kid on 17 ave se then 17sw, yes i 17ave sw has some diseres,

tell me one thing that 17 ave se doesnt have but 17ave sw has besides the starbucks, the illegal bathhouses where men have sex with men that are always radied by the police?

A very good friend of mine, drives a brand new farrari, and few other cars, developes homes around the city, including pump hill, is investing almost all of his capital in that forest lawn area, its the only area what now wheres he feels theres higher margin to grow. (and he owns a home in albert park that his sister lives in)

and do some of you not considering 17 ave a dieserable shopping area?
    http://www.internationalavenue.ca/direct.html

look at all teh business just in the area, hundreds of them.
    Last edited by CalgarySupra; 03-18-2007 at 01:09 AM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

To me, that isn't a crosswalk. And if it is, its probably the worst one I've ever seen. Walk 20 meters down and use a proper crosswalk with lights.

Sad nonetheless.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Yes there are some differences, but i am just trying show the fact forest lawn is not the "ghetto" and its not a very nice thing to say they are lower class.

regarding the drinking comment, i am canadian, full canadian, and i can trace my anestors in this county over 2 centuries ago. but my point is when people are DRUNK more bad thigns happens, bad behavoir, this is a KNOWN fact.

17 ave sw is full of homeless, and theres drug addicats everywhere, i ALWAYS see people arrested police finding drugs on them, and theres always druggies behind the mcdonalds, that amount doesnt even compare to forest lawn

no its not my mission to make forest lawn sound its the best place in calgary ( i dont even live in forest lawn, but its just not fair or just to put a community down and consider them lower class)

yes 17 ave se is wider road, no one parks in the outer lanes, and according to a traffic engineer i know at the city, 17 ave se is mostly fed from blackfoot, and the downtown core.

any parent would prefer to rasie the kid on 17 ave se then 17sw, yes i 17ave sw has some diseres,

tell me one thing that 17 ave se doesnt have but 17ave sw has besides the starbucks, the illegal bathhouses where men have sex with men that are always radied by the police?

A very good friend of mine, drives a brand new farrari, and few other cars, developes homes around the city, including pump hill, is investing almost all of his capital in that forest lawn area, its the only area what now wheres he feels theres higher margin to grow. (and he owns a home in albert park that his sister lives in)
    Insightful post, thank you.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Yes, it is.

Its because there are corners on the opposite sides. Its considered an uncontrolled intersection, but last night on global at 6 the girl interviewing a cop about it said "If I was with you in your uniform (the BRIGHT red jacket one), would you cross this intersection with me?" and he laughed and said not on his life.

Honestly they need to change the laws. IMO vehicles should have the right of way on roads EXCEPT on marked intersections or marked crosswalks. People have a problem w/ this, create more marked crosswalks. i honeslty do not have a problem with slowing down when i see a "pedestrian crosswalk ahead" sign. but unmarked/uncontrolled intersections when people are stepping out inbetween cars like this its just getting to risky.
    I would almost disagree with this being a crosswalk.....I walk across lots at work, but there are the chain fences on either side of the road directly parallel with 17th ave. Also, the "ramp" of the sidewalk to enter the street enters 5A and 6A sts, not onto 17th ave, so I believe there is a crosswalk on the streets, not the ave! The same goes for the North side of the 17th ave, the fences are there at the same place to prevent crossers from entering 17th (well not to prevent but to make people realize thats not where to cross. ).
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

if i remember correct (i used to go to western canada highschool), not many ppl ever used that corner to cross, but it kinda sucks cuz tehres quite a bit of distance between that T intersection adn the neighboring lights, its easier to j-walk rather than going in a circle to get back to the school...

that said, there werent too many ppl who ever j-walked there though, it was way too busy and it looks NOTHING like a crossable intersection...that and 17th is a relatively busy road, ppl dont stop for pedestrians unless its a marked one....that corner definitely isnt marked at all.

i'd say its the pedestrians fault for picking a shitty corner to cross on, that and probably not watching all lanes of the road while crossing (ppl cut in the parking lane a LOT on 17th, just have to be careful about that).

although im sure its not going to be their fault. it was definitely a stupid move to think they could cross safely there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3