Quantcast
replacing cpu/heatsink fan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: replacing cpu/heatsink fan

My Ride
    '03 Celica/'04 Corolla

Default replacing cpu/heatsink fan

Hello. My motherboard on the PC is shot so I went out and bought a new one. I was able to remove the heatsink fan only to find out that my CPU was glued to it. I know it's suppose to be like that but how do I install the CPU into my new motherboard? Do I have to remove it off the heatsink fan and then install it onto the motherboard or is there another way to do it? Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    00 Civic Coupe, 03 Xterra

when you pulled your cpu off the board did you try to twist the heatsink off the cpu, if it was installed with the oem heatsink and fan thats how you remove the heatsink assembly from the cpu coz oem products always comes with the adhesive type of thermal compound.

What cpu is it? that's kind of odd. Most I've installed have a serperate lever to hold down the cpu. The fan then is mounted on top and clipped down. Don't know how you could remove the fan and have the cpu come with it.

My Ride
    '03 Celica/'04 Corolla

The heatsink and fan are stuck together. When I took them out, I realized that underneath heatsink was where the CPU was glued onto. I have no idea how I could get the CPU out of the motherboard because I couldn't unlock it from the motherboard. Now when I go and try to install it onto my new one, I can't raise the lever because the heatsink is in the way. Do I have to pry the cpu off the heatsink?? BTW, it's a Pentium 4 2.4ghz socket 478

Sounds like you will have to very Carefully Pry the heatsink/fan off the CPU. Some OEM stuff is a kinda adhesive, not just cooling glue.

Try using a razor knife or a very tiny screwdriver, start prying up, going around the edges. Good luck
    2002 Chev Tracker, 1995 Itasca 32' Class A Motorhome, 1985 Virago 750

You might want to try applying some heat first, nothing crazy just a blow dryer. Usually I'll run the pc for a bit to warm it up but it sounds like you can't do that.

My Ride
    '04 STi

If you plan to change CPU's at all in the future, get yourself the Arctic Silver two piece thermal compound remover "ArctiClean" kit from MemEx. It'll last for years unless you're a hardcore upgrader, and is a great tool to chemically break the thermal pad bond between the CPU die and the HS so you won't have to "break" the CPU and HS apart with force.

My Ride
    '03 Celica/'04 Corolla

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll give it a shot and let everyone know if it works or not. I might just have to buy a new CPU too.

My Ride
    '03 Celica/'04 Corolla

So last night, I was able to remove the CPU from the heatsink. I popped in the CPU, RAM, power supply, HD and flipped the switch to the on position on the power supply. Surprisely, it turned on and detected the CPU and RAM. Here's the funny part. It asked me to hit F2 to enter setup or F11 for something else(can't remember) I tried hitting F2 but nothing happened so I hit F11. A line on the screen said something was active. I tried F2 again but nothing. So I hit ALt+CTRL+DEL but instead of rebooting, it turned off. Now when I try to flip the switch again, nothing happens. I tested the power supply and there's power. Am I missing something ie)the system panel header Thanks