Quantcast
Xbox 360 red lights of death - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 red lights of death

My Ride
    FA20

Default Xbox 360 red lights of death

So my 360 of not even 4 months just shat the bed last night, showing me the 3 red lights of death. Just called the ppl at MS and they said to ship it in , and they'll give me a refurbished one.

So im just wondering who here has sent their 360 in and approximately how long did it take for it to come back. Im pissed off that I just bought a HD-dvd addon for this POS and now wont even be able to use it. Anyone want to share their experiences and the number of 360's they're on?

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

number 1, owned it since late september of last year, locked up maybe 5 or 6 times over that course of time. so its been relatively problem free.

U can fix it easily.
    i got the red lights then i fixed it myself and it has worked perfect for 6 months now

This is what i did
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5nfmJTQJr8

It actually works really good.
    Last edited by ChargedLextasy; 03-18-2007 at 06:38 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Wrap it in a towel. Toweling an Xbox actually works... I tried it as a last desperate measure when my X360 went kaput and it hasn't gone off since .

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...wel-228800.php
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

I guess it might do the same thing as the heat gun method i did. Fixing the cold soder problem

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Heat gun method works for sure, did it to one of my xboxes and it been fine since, but do some searching online as you can dig into the error codes further, i think when the red light is blinking pressing the wireless sync button + eject puts it into diagnostic code mode, showing you an error code based on the blink pattern. Then google the blink pattern and find whats causing this. Sometimes this problem is caused simply by overheating, and the diag mode will tell you that. Cleaning out the dust with a cheap airsprayed may be all you need.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Why try and fix it yourself when MS will send you a brand new 360 instead?

Mine didn't give me red lights of death, but it was acting screwy.. I called MS, and next day had a box at my door to ship it in, with shipping pre-paid. It took less than a week to get my brand spankin new 360, and the new one works flawlessly.

I bought my first one in October of 2006, and just got the new one about a month or so ago, and it works great.

My Ride
    FA20

Originally posted by iceburns288
    Wrap it in a towel. Toweling an Xbox actually works... I tried it as a last desperate measure when my X360 went kaput and it hasn't gone off since .

Ya, i tried this method twice, it worked but it would still show the red lights again after about 15 minutes

Originally posted by Hash_man
    Why try and fix it yourself when MS will send you a brand new 360 instead?

Mine didn't give me red lights of death, but it was acting screwy.. I called MS, and next day had a box at my door to ship it in, with shipping pre-paid. It took less than a week to get my brand spankin new 360, and the new one works flawlessly.

I bought my first one in October of 2006, and just got the new one about a month or so ago, and it works great.
    hmmm, did you buy the extra warranty? I didnt but its still under the normal warranty, and last I heard they dont send brand new units to Canada, only refurbished.

I will try and spray the inside with a can of air and see how that goes. Don't really want to open it up since it'll void the warranty
    Last edited by heinz256; 03-19-2007 at 09:56 AM.

My Ride
    FA20

well my error code is 0102, which means:

unknown error - though it's most likely GPU related literally means the console does not know what is wrong. possibly a short or cold solder joint somewhere. So far there is 1 major theory for what causes most of these errors is that the Ram, CPU, or GPU are not soldered properly to the mother board due either to poor manufacturing or excessive heat up and cool down cycles that stress, weaken and eventually break the soldered connection.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I'm still on my Xbox 360 I bought launch day and it has only crashed on me twice in that whole time. You just have to take care of them.

More hypothesizing: you need to give the power brick air, because if it starts overheating, it delivers less power - system fucks up.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I bought an original launch 360 and it finally crapped out a few weeks ago. Since I was over the 1 year warranty (Microsoft extended warranties) I had to pay $173.00 (which includes the refurbished unit and Fedex overnight return freight) for a refurbished unit. I had to pay for shipping back to Ontario and it took 4 days via Purolator ground at $20. They recieved the unit on a Friday and I had my refurbished 360 the following Tuesday morning which was a superfast turnaround.

I'm bumbed out that my 360 died but it was a launch unit and my second PS2 only lasted 6 months and Sony didn't do shit for me so I buy every console now fully expecting it to eventually die.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by b_t

More hypothesizing: you need to give the power brick air, because if it starts overheating, it delivers less power - system fucks up.
    I believe this is a problem as well. I never had any problem with my launch console been flawless, however, I do have a good APC power bar and only the console + lcd tv plugged into it. I think problem comes with people using 3 for $1 powerbars and they create too much fluctuation in power, causing weird electrical problems with the 360 and screwing something up

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by eblend

I believe this is a problem as well. I never had any problem with my launch console been flawless, however, I do have a good APC power bar and only the console + lcd tv plugged into it. I think problem comes with people using 3 for $1 powerbars and they create too much fluctuation in power, causing weird electrical problems with the 360 and screwing something up
    I'm using a Monster powerbar.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

On Xbox number one, owned since August 2006, no problems
    Geek

Originally posted by iceburns288

Thanks for the tip. My Xbox has been broken for about 3 months now (just started playing PS2 instead) but I tried it this morning... and it worked!

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

I bought my first one during the Christmas holiday. Opened it up and plugged it in and got the red light right away. Went back to BestBuy right away and got a different unit. Been working great since. My console and power cord/box has lots of room for ventilation.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

I've had my console for about a year now with no problems - knock on wood. I have the console itself tucked underneath my tv in the entertanment cabinets below and the power brick sits on the window sill behind the tv where it's always cool.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

Originally posted by heavyD
    I bought an original launch 360 and it finally crapped out a few weeks ago. Since I was over the 1 year warranty (Microsoft extended warranties) I had to pay $173.00 (which includes the refurbished unit and Fedex overnight return freight) for a refurbished unit. I had to pay for shipping back to Ontario and it took 4 days via Purolator ground at $20. They recieved the unit on a Friday and I had my refurbished 360 the following Tuesday morning which was a superfast turnaround.

I'm bumbed out that my 360 died but it was a launch unit and my second PS2 only lasted 6 months and Sony didn't do shit for me so I buy every console now fully expecting it to eventually die.
    I have had my ps2 since the day it was released, but the laser was acting up on me so i just trashed it. I guess 6 years out of a PS2 isn't bad. My NES is still good!

Originally posted by sneek

I have had my ps2 since the day it was released, but the laser was acting up on me so i just trashed it. I guess 6 years out of a PS2 isn't bad. My NES is still good!
    trouble shooting for the nes was blowing into the game cartridge lol classic
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I don't get the red light of death, but the system does lock up on me. Often when I'm playing NCAA March Madness. It's only happened once with another game.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast