Quantcast
ae86 motor done... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ae86 motor done...

My Ride
    ae86 corolla gts

Default ae86 motor done...

Hi there, my headgasket recently started to leak on fri last week and i didnt notice what was the problem until i had been driving it for a few hours and white smoke started pouring out the exhaust. I realized it was coolant and that the headgasket was warped.

When i got home i didnt start it at all and scheduled for my mechanic to install a new headgasket. I had told him i would pick the part up myself because i know they mark up the things they order from toyota and he got into this whole deal of since im buying the gasket it will void the warranty or some ridiculous thing like that. I ending up buying a trd 0.8mm metal gasket for the car. The people at the dealership were extremely friendly and knew what they were talking about.

Now i was being quite optimistic at the time and hadnt thought of the possibilty of the head being warped because i hadnt driven it hard at all just one quick tap at 7000 one time which probably resulted in the headgasket breaking in the first time. But the mechanic looked at it today and this is when things go sour.

Found out that oh for some reason the gasket isnt the right one its not getting any compression and isnt sealing properly my mechanic told me... So i phone toyota and ask them why they sent me the wrong gasket ...they start defending themselves saying they are guaranteed that is the right gasket and will send a tech down to the shop its being worked at to verify it. So i phone my mechanic back and tell him what they said. All of a sudden he changes his opinion and says oh the heads warped....hmmm why didnt you tell me that to start with? Now im under the impression that when he reinstalled the new headgasket he didnt even check if the head was warped...which he is now saying to cover himself...He now has to take the entire head off again (7hrs labour at 95$/hr) so thats 14hrs that should have been avoided. 7 at the most.

Now im talking about the 4ageu here its a 20 yr old motor....i just wanted the headgasket changed and bam fix....nope not with my luck the heads warped and hes going to be giving me a quote for how much its going to cost to fix it....so now im enraged that im paying this much on a motor thats probably going to be having problems even if the head is fixed and gasket repaired. So as it stands right now im already 700$ in on a wasted motor...this is money i couldve put towards an engine swap which i have been contemplating for the last year. Now my question for this post is what should i put it in now

I have wanted to get the 4agze from jdmsource but i know the intercooler will not clear the hood to close and im not sure if they do custom installs if any at all. If i could have any representative from jdmsource pm me about this that would be greatly appreciated. Or i have been told the 20v blacktop from speedtech is another good choice. I have inquired about this previously and its about the same price as the 4agze im just trying to see in long term reliabilty and hp potential,tuning options,aftermarket support etc. I know quite abit about both engines already and would just need to know how long it would take to get the engines put in and how far in advance the scheduling would be done....so if anyone from jdmsource could pm me or from speedtech that would be so helpful if not im just gonna be swinging by and talking to someone in the shop anyways. I just would like to have the car up and running in the next few months...

Sorry for the post being so long....thanks again
    hachi roku? more like hachi broku....

My Ride
    Jasons mom

4agze is a good motor....ive seen one take 20 psi of boost on a stock bottom end. A guy named Orlando does the swap. hes twinchargedae86 on here i believe. He also does 20 valve swaps....so i would suggest talking to him about the install

My Ride
    has popup lights

Brutal luck old cars are so fun sometimes! if your looking for a better price ill sell you my running 20v its already for rwd pm for details!

yeah orlando is the man! he did my sawp and its beautifull! he knows his corollas

My Ride
    1098S

call Orlando, pm me for his number. he is THE man you wana talk to.
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

My Ride
    ae86 corolla gts

Who does Orlando work for again? and yes im more interested in the 4agze just because of the superchargers torque. Would he be able to do a custom front mount intercooler as well? And how would i go about contacting him? thanks for the offer on the 20v as well and for the fast replys....one of the reasons i love coming on these forums....

My Ride
    ae86 corolla gts

pm'd

My Ride
    has popup lights

ps check out www.dorikaze.com for all your toyota needs! its canadian as well

My Ride
    a wrx.

Just get a real Toyota OEM headgasket in your motor, and at the same time, freshen it up a bit so it'll last a bit longer. OEM headgaskets are crushable so they can accomodate a bit of head warpage whereas TRD metal ones require a perfectly flat, freshly machined surface. Maybe your mechanic doesn't know much about performance metal headgaskets.

Check your PMs for what I have to say about swap choices, Orlando, and Calgary shops for the AE86. And check out my sig too.

My Ride
    Volvo 242

i'm reading shady mechanic on this....pulls the head for a gasket and doesn't check it. Then blames the gasket when its not sealing? hell....make sure he actually torqued the thing, from what i'm reading he might have trouble putting shoes on his feet. Sorry to hear about your shitty experience, sweet on toyota backing their goods though.
    1983 Volvo 242

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Yeah, a MHG needs a perfectly flat head and block to seal.

The mechanic should have machined the head when he took it off. They warp when torqued down on the gasket, and should be machined every time you replace the head gasket.

The block should have been checked for warpage too, ESPECIALLY when installing a MHG.

I say take your car, and do it yourself. You shouldn't have to pay for their screw ups either.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

Orlando FTW!, he did both my buddys swaps and is VERY knowledgeable and a very nice guy too.

My Ride
    tin can

drop a rb26dett in there

My Ride
    Silvia/240

20B like the crazy japs!!!!

My Ride
    1098S

orlando can do anything corolla related, he has dropped an s2000 motor in an AE86. He has a 4AGZE converted to turbo, used to have it twin charged!
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

Is this F20c corolla in Calgary?
    I live my life a beer at a time, nothing else matters.

My Ride
    98 Corolla

another option is the 3SGTE, i just did this in my 98 rolla, and boy does it drive like a dream, i know some people that have this in an ae86 and have gotten it up to 420hp, plus it accommodates a front mount intercooler... see below for the pic of mine...

However the engines you are looking at are probably an easier swap....
    "More Go, Less Show"
    98 Corolla, 3SGTE Engine

My Ride
    00 Protege

Originally posted by Annoyingrob
    Yeah, a MHG needs a perfectly flat head and block to seal.

The mechanic should have machined the head when he took it off. They warp when torqued down on the gasket, and should be machined every time you replace the head gasket.

The block should have been checked for warpage too, ESPECIALLY when installing a MHG.

I say take your car, and do it yourself. You shouldn't have to pay for their screw ups either.
    He shouldn't have machined the head right away but he definately should've checked the head for warpage as well as the block deck. If within spec why machine it?

Also alot of shops won't warranty parts you provide. Just the way the cover their ass....

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by mazda_maniac

He shouldn't have machined the head right away but he definately should've checked the head for warpage as well as the block deck. If within spec why machine it?

Also alot of shops won't warranty parts you provide. Just the way the cover their ass....
    Because it's standard procedure for installing a metal HG on a 4AG. All 4AGs are old assed motors and usually have more than 100K kms on them, plus it's next to impossible to completely clean the block anyway, so machining is a great way of doing that. Another thing is that if his stock HG blew, there is probably a slight imperfection in the block or head that is still within spec, but not quite enough for a metal HG.

Like really, the only time people should be using metal HGs is when they are doing a hardcore build up of an engine and it's out of the car. It's not a simple replacement part.

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Originally posted by mazda_maniac

Because the 4AG uses an aluminum head which is designed to deform slightly when tightened down on the stock head gasket, causing a tighter seal. If you're changing one stock gasket for another, you can get away with not machining it, but if you throw in something like a MHG, you will have sealing issues unless you start with a perfectly flat (machined) surface on the head.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

My Ride
    AE86

20psi on a stock GZE block.......right

I always drive properly. A bit fast, perhaps, but always with consummate skill and a natural feel for the road that even cops recognize. No cop was ever born who isn't a sucker for a finely-executed hi-speed Controlled Drift all the way around one of those cloverleaf freeway interchanges.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast