Quantcast
Paying taxes while in another country??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Paying taxes while in another country???

My Ride
    Taco

Default Paying taxes while in another country???

My sister has been living in Korea for the last year and a half teaching english. She just got back a few months ago, went to do her taxes and they told her she owes the Canadian government $2200 for the money she made in Korea. Has anyone experienced this, kind of blew me away.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

yep.. i did some work in the states for a few weeks, and i had to pay american taxes, then the canadian. i doubt that korea has a tax treaty with canada.
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    02 RSX

fuk thats BS, ur sister hasnt been using any Canadian benefits for a year and half why should ur sister pay tax :S just retarded fuking government!

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by ninspeed
    yep.. i did some work in the states for a few weeks, and i had to pay american taxes, then the canadian. i doubt that korea has a tax treaty with canada.
    So if there's no treaty I take it you have to pay?

Originally posted by Russo
    fuk thats BS, ur sister hasnt been using any Canadian benefits for a year and half why should ur sister pay tax :S just retarded fuking government!

^^^Agreed, apparently if she said she was just travelling she would have been ok, but because she was making money over there she has to pay. It's like they're penalizing her, pretty whack
    Last edited by B20EF; 03-31-2007 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Go see an accountant who deals with expatriates. I was in Brazil working for 6 months and got a tax credit. You just have to talk to the right people.

If you have ties to Canada such as personal property in Canada, social ties with Canada, economic ties with Canada, medical insurance, a Canadian driver's license, a vehicle registered in Canada, a dwelling in Canada, or a Canadian passport you are considered a Canadian resident and must pay Canadian taxes on your world wide income. In order to avoid paying Canadian taxes you must sever all ties with Canada with the intent of not returning.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by 88 CRX
    If you have ties to Canada such as personal property in Canada, social ties with Canada, economic ties with Canada, medical insurance, a Canadian driver's license, a vehicle registered in Canada, a dwelling in Canada, or a Canadian passport you are considered a Canadian resident and must pay Canadian taxes on your world wide income. In order to avoid paying Canadian taxes you must sever all ties with Canada with the intent of not returning.
    There are also overseas employment tax credits and foreign tax credits available for residents working overseas but the rules are quite complicated. I'm in the middle of figuring it all out ofr my return right now.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Actually, if you report it, then yeah you will have to pay tax.

But I know many of my friends that works oversea, uses the reason of visiting "relatives" and then they don't have to pay Canadian government a cent for working abroad.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    CRF 250L

You can bring up to 10,000 CAD cash into Canada at a time without paying any taxes...
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell