Quantcast
Lower Back Pain, other options other than Chiropractors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Pain, other options other than Chiropractors

My Ride
    Hatred

Default Lower Back Pain, other options other than Chiropractors

So i have probably have had on and off back pain for lord knows how long. Was wondering what are some good options for a permanent fix, or a long run fix. I will not go to a Chiropractor i don't believe in that kind of manipulation.

Am currently waiting for an appointment at a Physio place so will see how that goes. Any one know any good stretches or anything that may help things out?
    -U

My Ride
    BMW Z4 Coupe, XFR

It all depends on where and what is causing the pain. I went to a chiropractor that did Active Release therapy aswell. I went a few times, and have been virtually pain free for over a year now.

My Ride
    335i

Physiotherapy is your best bet for legitimate care. The fact that most docs won't even endorse chiropractic should tell you to stay away.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Default Re: Lower Back Pain, other options other than Chiropractors

Originally posted by Unknown303
    So i have probably have had on and off back pain for lord knows how long. Was wondering what are some good options for a permanent fix, or a long run fix. I will not go to a Chiropractor i don't believe in that kind of manipulation.

Am currently waiting for an appointment at a Physio place so will see how that goes. Any one know any good stretches or anything that may help things out?

Go to your doctor and get evaluated. Back pain is nothing is take lightly.

I had lower back pain for 2 years....it was nothing too crazy, but I bothered me every few months. Then, one day, I was sitting in my computer chair and leaned over to grab a piece of paper and my whole lower body went into a massive spasm. I had to crawl into the car so my wife could take me the hospital.

After an MRI, it was determined that I had a massive disc herniation and the orthopedic surgeons couldn't understand how I was able to walk.

I had total numbness in my left leg and foot.....I went for surgery 2 weeks ago (microdiscectomy) and I have the feeling back in my leg, and I'm hoping the back pain is gone, but it's hard to tell right now as the pain from surgery incision is greater than the back pain I was feeling.

Default Re: Re: Lower Back Pain, other options other than Chiropractors

Originally posted by Pacman

Go to your doctor and get evaluated. Back pain is nothing is take lightly.

That should always be the first step.

My Ride
    Axis powers

start doing situps.. ur abs support ur lower back if thats where ur pain is.. also active release works great.. after my car accident i had problems even sitting down at my desk but the chiro helped a lot

try going to 'adjust your health'.. they were great to me there

its just off mcleod, on fisher street and 70th se ave i believe
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

Depending on what's causing the back pain, I would recommend an inversion table. Using one takes the pressure off the lower back and will help stretch the back as well. I have one and try to use it daily. At the very least, it will give temporary relief and should reduce pain over time. Most fitness stores carry the tables and I believe Costco may carry them from time to time.

Full massage with a happy ending.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    2009 Forester

+3 for seeing a doctor first.

if you're going to physio, they'll give you a bunch of strength exercises and stretches for you to do to help build strength in the lower back.

They'll probably give you some stretches that will loosen up the hamstrings and glutes.

if you really want to get into alternative medicine, look into acupunture/acupressure/shaitsu.
    Tim

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Are you fat? Carrying around a beer belly causes lower back pain. Also, if you belt is too tight trying to hold up your pants, that is another cause.

Go see your GP and get a referral if required.

My Ride
    firebird

Try sleeping with a pillow under your legs (if u sleep on your back) or between your legs (if you sleep on the side).

Also, the most important thing I found was to keep active!

Go to the gym! Do stretches! Do core excercises! This is exactly what you will pay $60 a session for physio to tell you to do. Then take one day off, grab a bag of epson salts, pop an advil and soak in the bath tub. It will relax your muscles and make you feel like million $$$.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I agree with the above, situps/abdominal exercise is the key to eliminating lower back pain (barring actual herniated disc or something more serious of course which is why you pop in and see the Dr.). Unless you're kidneys are shot haha, that can manifest itself with lower back pain.

I wouldn't let a chiropractor touch me either, personally don't like the concept at all.

Here's some food for thought:

http://www.healthwatcher.net/chirowa...n-inquest.html

This was a few years ago and a rare occurrence but the results of the inquest made a lot of people think twice about chiro's and resulted in a lot of recommendations levelled solely at chiropractors.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

My solution was a simple one, stretch your ham strings. A ton of lower back pain especially in athletes is caused by overly tight hamstrings and glutes, strethc those well so they dont tighten up and play with your posture.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    Hatred

Guess i should say i am very fit. 6'2" 190 Lbs so not overweight at all. I do already do lots of core workouts and have found that its neither improving or worsening the condition.

I have an appointment for Physio which was recommended by a doctor i saw. So hopefully we can get some X-rays done to see if anything else is going in there. Any other advice would be appreciated.
    -U

I used to have backpain too. It was a result of my mattress being too soft. I got a new that is a lot more stiff and my back hasnt hurt since.

My Ride
    Mom-van

I figure if you keep correct posture, exercise regularly and strengthen your core, and have the correct mattress, you should be fine.

Mckenzie, you call your experience with the chiro "success", but the fact that you have to go every month for a "tune up" doesn't sound like much success to me. I think it's just like cracking your knuckles in a way. They get all this excess fluid in the joints, which causes discomfort if you don't continue to crack and realign the joints like a lot of people do with their knuckles. IMO, all it does is set you up to be one helluva sore elderly citizen who is going to have to be in assisted living at an earlier age because your body is too messed up to move and function on its own.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Hatred

I'm glad i could start this excessive debate between you two.

I just have back pain and wanted options that wasn't going to a Chiropractor. Anyhow carry on.
    -U

My Ride
    Ef

Deadlifts

My Ride
    Hatred

Don't know if a one word answer works when i actually already goto the gym ever second day, and do full body workouts including core strength routines.
    -U

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Do you do weights at the gym? are you sure that you're using the correct form when you do your exercises?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast