Quantcast
Need Bondo help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need Bondo help

My Ride
    1989 corolla Sr5 with gts swap, 1993 Ford Probe GT

Default Need Bondo help

hey well today I closed my door on my car and a chunk of bondo fell of the door. I got the piece that fell of I am wondering if I can put little bits of bondo on the piece and just put it back where it fell from. Would that work? and would it line up or would it be like bumpy and stuff. Let me know if what I can do with it.

Thanks

My Ride
    335i

You should just repaint the door altogether.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    66 Comet

You gotta take a pic...

It needs to be ground down to clean metal and re-done from scratch.

If it was done right, it would still be attached. So the metal work might be a little suspect too.

If just a beater, throw some wood screws at it, and call it done.

LOL

My Ride
    01 AP1

what car did this happen to ?

My Ride
    1989 corolla Sr5 with gts swap, 1993 Ford Probe GT

Originally posted by DALLEN
    what car did this happen to ?
    happen to a 1997 civic and its not a beater so i cant use screws i dont care if its done right rite now but i just wanna know if i put some bondo on the piece will it stick back on after i clean the body up real good will that work?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I can't see that working well or even possibly looking good. If this car is not a beater, get a new door. Bondo sucks.

My Ride
    Lease

Need to slap new Bondo on it. Good luck.

Best thing would be to put thin layer of fibreglass filler over the bare metal first, then your comestic bondo.

Ahahahahaha

It's not a beater but just uses a huge chunk of Bondo!
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

grid it out man... Filler is porous, amde with talc powder. Any moisture will now get underneath and start oxidation. You will have to grid the area out and refill. Be careful not to go too far into the body work though if you dont have to.
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    01 TDI

It would help if you take a picture

My Ride
    '09 STi

well today I closed my door on my car and a chunk of bondo fell of the door.
    I thought that only happened on tv shows.

If its a dent and its filled with bondo, that is terrible.

When I took autobody in high school, there was this gun that would weld a pin to the metal of the door, and you could use this slide with a weight on it to pull the dent out. Of course, before you do that, make sure it is sanded down to bare metal in that area.

Then use some bondo to smooth it out (the less you have to use, the better) and then either primer and repaint the door or feather edge the paint and you will have to reclear the whole door no matter what though.

The reason the bondo fell off is well, because it was not adhering to the surface. If you got that done at a shop, take it back, because it was not done correctly.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

If the door has that much bondo on it, i can only imagine what the rest of the body is like

Buy a new door.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Lease

Yea, high school autobody was so much fun... we did this friend's Mazda B2000 series... and well he wanted to "shave the tailgate". On normal TV shows, you're suppose to put a "new skin" on (cuz it's the model with the huge ass MAZDA stamped in there)... Well, we just grinded the paint, and filled 'er up with Bondo and smooth it out.

Once the truck was painted, it looked AWESOME, just like the TV shows (well, when I was in high school we didn't have no Overhaulin' or Pimp ur ride, but like magazines)... Week later we asked the friend where his tailgate was, he was like: "oh I was going to the mall, and went through a speed bump, hear a thump noise... parked the truck, walk towards mall, and saw a huge chuck of painted BONDO in the middle of the parking lot, then I looked at my tailgate and it was mine"

Remember mixing Bondo to the point where it starts to heat up (when it's curing/drying), and then putting chucks of it in someone's overalls? Good times, good times.

Originally posted by hussein

I thought that only happened on tv shows.

If its a dent and its filled with bondo, that is terrible.

When I took autobody in high school, there was this gun that would weld a pin to the metal of the door, and you could use this slide with a weight on it to pull the dent out. Of course, before you do that, make sure it is sanded down to bare metal in that area.

Then use some bondo to smooth it out (the less you have to use, the better) and then either primer and repaint the door or feather edge the paint and you will have to reclear the whole door no matter what though.

The reason the bondo fell off is well, because it was not adhering to the surface. If you got that done at a shop, take it back, because it was not done correctly.

My Ride
    '09 STi

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Yea, high school autobody was so much fun... we did this friend's Mazda B2000 series... and well he wanted to "shave the tailgate". On normal TV shows, you're suppose to put a "new skin" on (cuz it's the model with the huge ass MAZDA stamped in there)... Well, we just grinded the paint, and filled 'er up with Bondo and smooth it out.

Once the truck was painted, it looked AWESOME, just like the TV shows (well, when I was in high school we didn't have no Overhaulin' or Pimp ur ride, but like magazines)... Week later we asked the friend where his tailgate was, he was like: "oh I was going to the mall, and went through a speed bump, hear a thump noise... parked the truck, walk towards mall, and saw a huge chuck of painted BONDO in the middle of the parking lot, then I looked at my tailgate and it was mine"

Remember mixing Bondo to the point where it starts to heat up (when it's curing/drying), and then putting chucks of it in someone's overalls? Good times, good times.

hahah thats awesome.

I never put it in people's overalls, but it always amazed me when it got warm when curing.

In my class this guy was playing around with his lighter in the paint room and then the next thing I knew I was seeing flames and smoke shooting out of the room. It was one of the craziest things I've seen in my life. They managed to put the fire out without anything exploding, but the whole shop was filled with smoke!! We had to evacuate the building.

That was a time I won't forget.

edit: I forgot to mention there was no fire extinguisher in the shop because some kid discharged one in a customers vehicle!! So someone had to run to the mechanics shop to get one. Damn, that was a fucked up class.

My Ride
    Lease

What school was this? Sounds a little bit like mine...

My Ride
    '09 STi

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    What school was this? Sounds a little bit like mine...
    Medicine Hat High School?