Quantcast
Setting up printer on a wireless network - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Setting up printer on a wireless network

My Ride
    firebird

Default Setting up printer on a wireless network

Well I have been printing from my home wireless network for about 3 years now and all of a sudden it no longer works for some reason. I think it may have something to do with the fact that we got a new wireless router and modem from telus after some technical problem.

Anyways, I am trying to setup the printer from my laptop again and I cannot see the destination URL of the printer that is installed on my home desktop.

Is this how I go about it? If so, how can I see the destination URL of the printer or whatever it is that the wizard is asking for?

Or if you have any other brilliant suggestions to fix this seemingly easy problem, that would be great as I suck.

Thanks in advance.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Integra Type R

just goto ur comp that has the computer then click Start>Printers And Faxes, right-click on ur printer then properties, then click the Sharing Tab then click the box for share this printer then type w/e share name u want..that should be networked now...another thing is make sure ur comps have the same Workgroup name in the My Computer Properties then when u print on say word, on the print window make sure u select the printer from the right directory...its something like \\WORKGROUPNAME\SHARENAME
    wh...?

i dont mean to hijack but the other day i was on my pc in my room and the wireless detects to network but cannot connect and my laptop right next to the pc works perfectly fine. Can someone help me with my pc connecting to the net, none of the computers in the house have this problem except the pc in my room
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Originally posted by jav_
    just goto ur comp that has the computer then click Start>Printers And Faxes, right-click on ur printer then properties, then click the Sharing Tab then click the box for share this printer then type w/e share name u want..that should be networked now...another thing is make sure ur comps have the same Workgroup name in the My Computer Properties then when u print on say word, on the print window make sure u select the printer from the right directory...its something like \\WORKGROUPNAME\SHARENAME
    If you reinstalled your anti-virus/firewall software check that is set to allow print sharing. I had a similar problem when I set up my network. Windows reconized what I was I trying to do, but my non-microsoft firewall didn't. Of course that was the last place I looked.
    Good Luck.

My Ride
    firebird

Bump....sorry I have not gotten back here.

update- I found out that the problem has corresponded with an install of norton internet security (grrrr stupid parents) on my desktop upstairs. When I was trying to access it the other day from my laptop, I looked in the history of this internet security and found that it had blocked the IP Address of my laptop.

So...the bigger problem is- How can I get the two computers to see each other on the network?

I have setup the workgroup, made sure the names were the same and everything but when I go to my network places, the computers cannot see each other for shared files and dont even recognize each other in the workgroup computers tab.

Thanks if anyone can help this stupid problem
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Hey man I had this problem with my computers not being able to see each other a couple of days ago.
    Just try and change the name of your workgroup name to anything other than MSHOME, on all the computers.
    I used "WORKGROUP" and it started to work. Still have not figured out the printer settings yet (same problem as you) but will let you know ASAP.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    Bump....sorry I have not gotten back here.

update- I found out that the problem has corresponded with an install of norton internet security (grrrr stupid parents) on my desktop upstairs. When I was trying to access it the other day from my laptop, I looked in the history of this internet security and found that it had blocked the IP Address of my laptop.

So...the bigger problem is- How can I get the two computers to see each other on the network?

I have setup the workgroup, made sure the names were the same and everything but when I go to my network places, the computers cannot see each other for shared files and dont even recognize each other in the workgroup computers tab.

Thanks if anyone can help this stupid problem
    I think the solution is to uninstall NIS and let Windows Firewall do the job and download AVG to be your antivirus. I used to use Norton and it took an entire thread of posters on Beyond to get me to try AVG. Much better!

My Ride
    Integra Type R

yeah..norton is useless....
    wh...?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    I think the solution is to uninstall NIS and let Windows Firewall do the job and download AVG to be your antivirus. I used to use Norton and it took an entire thread of posters on Beyond to get me to try AVG. Much better!

Jeff is right on this one. AVG with Windows Firewall is a good interior security precaution. Way less overhead on the cpu/mem, and better yet, it's free. You should still make sure that you're still protected by decent perimter security. A decent firewall / gateway router of some sort is always a good idea.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    firebird

thanks for your ideas....I was anti NIS from the start....the regular version worked fine.

Sorry but what is AVG?

-Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Integra Type R

a free anti-virus program
    wh...?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    thanks for your ideas....I was anti NIS from the start....the regular version worked fine.

Sorry but what is AVG?

Google it, and download it. Uninstall Norton first.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by codetrap

Jeff is right on this one. AVG with Windows Firewall is a good interior security precaution. Way less overhead on the cpu/mem, and better yet, it's free. You should still make sure that you're still protected by decent perimter security. A decent firewall / gateway router of some sort is always a good idea.
    I assume he's got that covered since he has a wireless network already. But yes, a good suggestion. Maybe you're not such a douchebag after all.

My Ride
    firebird

Ok thanks for the tips guys...I will have to give it a whirl here when I have some time.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802