Quantcast
other places besides dealership I could get a GM electrical problem fixed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: other places besides dealership I could get a GM electrical problem fixed

My Ride
    987 - G35xS - Skyline - RX350

Default other places besides dealership I could get a GM electrical problem fixed

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero V4 Sedan. ABS light came on, brought it into the dealership to find out whats wrong. Turns out it was a problem with the wiring harness and they quoted me 600-700 to get the problem fixed.

I just want to get this problem fixed then quickly sell the car. Does anyone know of other places that can fix this electrical problem for less than 600-700?

I asked my regular mechanic and he pretty much told me that these electrical problems are best dealt with dealerships and smaller shops don't have the equip to fix it.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by carguy; 04-05-2007 at 09:11 AM.

CT

My Ride
    rental

Licensed mechanic

did the dealership tell you what was wrong with the wiring harness? or how they were planning on fixing it? more info would help

My Ride

they told me exactly which harness needed to be replaced. (front passenger harness behind the wheel) other than that they didn't go any further with the descriptions. They just pretty much told me its a problem with the wiring harness and we have to replace the whole thing. Parts and labour totalling 600-700. Well if dealership is all I got then I just got to suck it up and go ahead with it. but if there are alternatives that would be great

CT

My Ride
    2008 denali

pretty much any shop that has a sufficent scan tool and a decent automotive electric guy can do it. Your regular mechanic gave you bad advice. There are plenty of reputable shops that will do the repair for you

My Ride
    SlowBalt

If it is the harness then most likey it will have to be replaced. I could probably get you a deal on the harness if you tell me exactly what harness it is you need.

My Ride

It's a abs/traction control wiring harness and it is located behind the wheel on the front passenger side.
    The car is a 2002 4 cylinder Oldsmobile Alero Sedan

So anyone have any recommendations with shops that can do this type of work?

Thanks for all your feedback and help so far
    Last edited by carguy; 04-05-2007 at 09:10 AM.

CT

The ABS System on GM vehciles are iffy. You need a special scan tool to manipulate them. So When shops hear the word ABS and wiring Harness together they generally don't want to get involved.

My Ride

yea well guess im giving up and going to head over to the dealership to get this problem fixed thx

CT

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by carguy
    yea well guess im giving up and going to head over to the dealership to get this problem fixed thx
    If you wait till tomorrow I can find out how much my cost is and possibly get you a hella good deal.

My Ride
    2008 Accent hatch S

Common problem on those vehicles I would suggest purchasing the part your self and repairing it yourself. It's a really easy repair to do. Tops it will take you an hour to do it.
    OFFICE ARITHMETIC

Smart boss + smart employee = profit
    Smart boss + dumb employee = production
    Dumb boss + smart employee = promotion
    Dumb boss + dumb employee = overtime

If it is just the harness then it should not be to difficult. But don't you have to do something to ECU after?

My Ride

hey Sharpie thanks for the help I can definately wait a day longer to see how things turn out.

If it's the harness then I should be ok to fix it myself. I'm just worried if it's the wheel speed sensor or wiring leading to the PCM then it would start getting more difficult.

And yea DRKM is correct even if the problem was fixed the light will still be there, codes have to be erased/reseted by the dealership, not the OBDII reader the other one forgot the name

I went back to the diagnostic report that I got when I was at the dealership last time.
    The code that came up was "1232 LF"

report goes further to say:

Testing the wiring to the "LF sensor." Wiring shorted internal needs a new harness.

CT

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Originally posted by carguy
    It's a abs/traction control wiring harness and it is located behind the wheel on the front passenger side.
    The car is a 2002 4 cylinder Oldsmobile Alero Sedan

So anyone have any recommendations with shops that can do this type of work?

Thanks for all your feedback and help so far
    Very common. My GTP had that. Careful too because it can cause a serious drain on your battery, and leave you standed w/ no warning.

Any compitant mechanic can do it who knows electrical.