Quantcast
Not sure what to do? What can I do to stop someone from driving? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do? What can I do to stop someone from driving?

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Default Not sure what to do? What can I do to stop someone from driving?

Okay, so my father-in-law is having some serious medical conditions right now. Some are physical, ie. dropping things, falling over, and so on. Some are not physical , and those are the ones that are keeping the family from talking to him much. However, with the physical, I believe he shouldn't be driving. I'm worried that he could have a spell, and crank the wheel into a minivan or something, killing or injuring someone.

Is there some way I can get someone to talk to him, as he won't listen to the family right now, that can either convince him or enforce the fact that he shouldn't drive? I'm thinking since I know about the problem, I'm just as liable as him should something happen, but I'm actually afraid right now of my physical wellbeing should I confront him. He has threatened me with harm, using a gun.

My Ride
    Big Blue Limo aka. LRT

Cops, then Dr.Phil.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Cut all 4 valve stems.

If he fixes them.

Repeat.

(and make sure he doesn't know it's you)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    MB C63

Take his keys

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Depends on how much he knows about cars. If he's not much of a mechanic, disconnect his starter.

My Ride
    ED & EG

Default Re: Not sure what to do? What can I do to stop someone from driving?

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    He has threatened me with harm, using a gun.
    Just for this fact alone I would think it's time to involve the police

My Ride
    POS Voyager

one thing you can do is that if he does his regular check up and stuff...you probably can ask the doc to give advice on the driving part...maybe they can talk to him...if that doesn't work then maybe you can ask the note from them that he shouldn't be operating a vehicle and take that note to the cop and get his licence expelled due to medical condition

i think you can involve the medical group and the police and i am sure that will help in some ways but if he got a gun and threten you already...its cops time

just my two cents

My Ride
    Taco

You actually have to go to his doctor, they will have the power to take away driving privalges

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Cut all 4 valve stems.

If he fixes them.

Repeat.

At this point, property damage is not the way to go, IMO.

Originally posted by djayz
    Take his keys
    He doesn't exactly like me, so asking him for his keys, umm no. Taking them, would probably push him over the edge.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Depends on how much he knows about cars. If he's not much of a mechanic, disconnect his starter.
    Well, he's managed to keep an '86 Caprice on it's last legs, on the road for quite some time. So he'd probably figure that out. But that's an interesting idea. I may use that.

Originally posted by B20EF
    You actually have to go to his doctor, they will have the power to take away driving privalges
    That's pretty much what I thought. However, his own wife doesn't even know which doctor he's going to. He hasn't even said what the doctor told him is wrong, to anyone. He's just resigned to the fact that whatever the doctor told him, that's it.

As for the gun, let me clarify. He was in his own house (his side of the duplex we live in), drinking, telling his wife, and my brother-in-law that he hates me, can't stand me and before he "goes", he's gonna take me with him. Now, when he was saying this, he was walking around his house with a loaded pistol in his belt.

Now, when he was saying this, he was walking around his house with a loaded pistol in his belt.
    As much as I hate to see a man lose his firearms I think you need to call the Cheif Firearms Officer for Alberta (NOT THE CITY POLICE) @ 780-495-7970 and tell them what's going on. They will assign an agent from the RCMP who can help everyone in a more descreit fashion. They will have access to his background and histories, including medical. With what's been going on he will most likely lose his firearms and RPAL. If you call the city police you can only guess what might happen when they show up all lights and sirens because of a gun being involved, nobody wants this to escalate with him being unstable.

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

Don't call the police on your father in law like other people here suggested, just go to his doctor like one of them said.

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

Put yourself in his position. I know I would be furious if I lost my license but realize that if I am a liability to others on the road then the right thing must be done. This happened to my grandfather, he had parkinson's and was no longer in an acceptable mental or physical state to drive.

I'd say the easiest way to go about this is to have the doctor determine whether or not he is fit to drive.

With that said if it is evident that he should not be driving at this current moment you should talk to him and let him know that he cannot drive. You should take away the keys also as people tend to believe that they are still capable of driving and disregard others opinions.

Default Re: Re: Not sure what to do? What can I do to stop someone from driving?

Originally posted by racin_jayson

Just for this fact alone I would think it's time to involve the police
    like yesterday

My Ride

hmm all you people suggesting he should talk to his father in law about his problem are either not listening or do not understand that people like this can't be talked to, especially if they hate your guts. I know this for a fact My grandfather is the same way, I would do what VEN suggested since you don't know who his doctor is and they will for sure look into his medical background.

My Ride
    SoupRYou

take the keys lock the steering wheel steal all the gas for your vehicle
    hmmm tell me whats bothering the family
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Originally posted by redline_13000
    Don't call the police on your father in law like other people here suggested, just go to his doctor like one of them said.
    Agreed

that's just mean and cruel.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Cut all 4 valve stems.

If he fixes them.

Repeat.

Thanks for dropping a e-thug attitude because were not all 14 year olds on beyond here. Shouldn't have to do that.

I suggest that you get a doctor to revolk his license as family members can't talk him out of it. The best thing to do... without making him pissed off at you because it's either cops or doctor? and which would you rather have?

Okay, so my father-in-law is having some serious medical conditions right now. Some are physical, ie. dropping things, falling over, and so on. Some are not physical , and those are the ones that are keeping the family from talking to him much. However, with the physical, I believe he shouldn't be driving. I'm worried that he could have a spell, and crank the wheel into a minivan or something, killing or injuring someone.

Is there some way I can get someone to talk to him, as he won't listen to the family right now, that can either convince him or enforce the fact that he shouldn't drive? I'm thinking since I know about the problem, I'm just as liable as him should something happen, but I'm actually afraid right now of my physical wellbeing should I confront him. He has threatened me with harm, using a gun.
    And dude your having a lot of troubles lately eh? Sorry to hear about this man.

My Ride
    NOTHING RIGHT NOW :(

Originally posted by Dayclone

Thanks for dropping a e-thug attitude because were not all 14 year olds on beyond here. Shouldn't have to do that.
    i dont sense a e-thug attitude, seems like a ligit course of action.

He threaten you, he is a hazard to public safety when hes driving. CALL THE COPS!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no subtle way to handle this.

Well since even the wife of said father-in-law doesn't even know which doctor this guy is seeing, talking to the doctor seems out of the question unless he wanted to send a letter to every practicing doctor in the area explaining the situation.

Do call the RCMP instead. Even if it's "cruel" to call the cop on buddy, what are you going to say to the families when the father-in-law drives into a building or crowd of people by accident? It's only a matter of time. Plus, father-in-law would have no problem shooting son-in-law even without this whole driving issue. I wouldn't feel too guilty. I would just make sure he didn't know it was me.

My Ride
    88 RX7 LS1/t56

I would tell the police whats going on with him, you dont know who his doctor is, but hes dangerous behind a wheel and has threatened you with a FREAKIN GUN man. being nice is outta the question, at least you care enough to get him out of a dangerous situation. when he puts you into them. call him in man.

Originally posted by smontyLS1
    I would tell the police whats going on with him, you dont know who his doctor is, but hes dangerous behind a wheel and has threatened you with a FREAKIN GUN man. being nice is outta the question, at least you care enough to get him out of a dangerous situation. when he puts you into them. call him in man.
    that's it in a nutshell -- get some help before he kills someone --

besides what's his doctor gonna do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast