Quantcast
who knows stuff about wireless networking? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: who knows stuff about wireless networking?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default who knows stuff about wireless networking?

my wireless router is giving me trouble. im trying to connect my parents computer to the router with a wireless card, but it isnt working. the router manages to assign an ip and the config utility says the connection is "good", but i still cant connect. i tried pinging the router from the comp. and it seems that about half my packets are being dropped. wtf?! i had this network setup last summer in the same rooms and everything and it worked before...

so i decided to hook up the router to my parents comp with ethernet and try wireless on my computer. now my computer refuses to start up (even in safe mode) with the wireless card in it!

any ideas?!

Hahahha Jeff, you fucked it up. Considering that you cant start up the computer at this point, my tech support will require a service call.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by TurboDSM
    Hahahha Jeff, you fucked it up. Considering that you cant start up the computer at this point, my tech support will require a service call.
    ew, are u implying that i give in exchange for tech support?

heh, anyway, i think i can start my comp if i pull the card out, install drivers, then put card back in. but im lazy.

Try this link, it has a lot of good information about wireless networking problems and answers.
    Wireless Networking FAQ

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

have you changed o/s? made any changes in the house? try putting them side by side and ping the router again and see what happens...just try moving things around

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

In terms of your connection problem, you didn't have MAC address filtering enabled, or anything like that did you? If you had that set up and didn't enter the MAC address for the wireless card in your parents machine, it would see the router but wouldn't be able to do anything. Also, if you are using encryption make sure the encryption setting on the router and all the client machines match (it's very easy to screw up typing in a key). Last but not least, once you get it working, try switching the router to a different channel. It's possible there are devices in your house or nearby that are generating a lot of "noise" on that particular channel, so a different one might be clear. Make sure you remember to set all the wireless cards to the "new" channel as well.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    In terms of your connection problem, you didn't have MAC address filtering enabled, or anything like that did you? If you had that set up and didn't enter the MAC address for the wireless card in your parents machine, it would see the router but wouldn't be able to do anything. Also, if you are using encryption make sure the encryption setting on the router and all the client machines match (it's very easy to screw up typing in a key). Last but not least, once you get it working, try switching the router to a different channel. It's possible there are devices in your house or nearby that are generating a lot of "noise" on that particular channel, so a different one might be clear. Make sure you remember to set all the wireless cards to the "new" channel as well.
    hehe already disabled mac filtering, disabled encryption, and tried different channels...

My Ride
    A Hobo

assign your irq's to the space bar of you're micro processing assembler . the c++ code usually conflicts with honda civic bios flashes .. i've seen a mouse cursor disable c:\temp when the config.sys loaded a mcga lpt driver .. that's freaky when u think linux has more arcnet receivers then /proc filesystems .

oh, check you're hard drive isn't floppy .. keep an eye out for sars or mad cow .

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    hehe already disabled mac filtering, disabled encryption, and tried different channels...
    Wow, you are 1337 h/\xX0r and you don't even know it
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by atomic
    assign your irq's to the space bar of you're micro processing assembler . the c++ code usually conflicts with honda civic bios flashes .. i've seen a mouse cursor disable c:\temp when the config.sys loaded a mcga lpt driver .. that's freaky when u think linux has more arcnet receivers then /proc filesystems .

oh, check you're hard drive isn't floppy .. keep an eye out for sars or mad cow .
    wachoo tawk'n bout Willis?

My Ride
    UA6

Originally posted by atomic

yeeeah exactly

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

It's incoherant gibberish. It doesn't even mean anything.