Quantcast
Northwest is the ghetto... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Northwest is the ghetto...

My Ride
    something green

Question Northwest is the ghetto...

There is alot of jokes about Penbrooke,Forest lawn , Dover etc etc, being the "hood", but it seems to me the Northwest, actually the far northwest is really the shittier end of town..
    Apart from the news that makes this forum, there are alot of other signs, everytime I go into a subdivision up there, there is ton of shattered glass along the curbs.
    The Hamptons seems to be hot area for theft, vandalism and stupidity, its a swanky area too, on the street where my GF lives, there never fails to be a car that has been hit, everytime I go there, the guy a few doors down even puts a "club" on his 82 toyota corrolla, apparently its been stolen twice, now thats just pathetic...I will try and get a pic of a car on the street, its a silver Honda civic that some girl owns, someone took a baseball bat to it, this last week, and its not the first time the car has been hit,apprently..
    So whats the cause of this?
    Bored kids with to much money and not enough brains?
    Transient punks from other locales?
    Or is it and ethnic problem, the mix seems to be pretty diverse up there, alot more than other parts of the city...
    Thoughts?
    maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

Default Re: Northwest is the ghetto...

i live in the NE
    Originally posted by Maxt
    the guy a few doors down even puts a "club" on his 82 toyota corrolla, apparently its been stolen twice, now thats just pathetic...
    my dad's old cressida, they broke into our garage (which had nothing in it to steal), then they broke the glass to take his spare change.....the door was open though???

my buddy has had his moms 89 civic four door hubcaps (oem hondas) stolen twice.....and they even stole her next vehicle (a camry...like a 88)........now they always have the club

two years ago, people used to drive down my street with bb guns shooting out the windows of cars......and some neighbours reported having their doormats set on fire

my house has been broken into, back in 96....they stole about 7-8g's worth of stuff, and it was like not even 3 weeks after my grandpa passed.....and the same person tried to break in again, through the same window, except this time, they were surprised to see someone in the window, with a large blunt object, and ran away..., never had a problem again

a family friend that owned a movie store beside the neighborhood mac's, him and his family were shot dead when i was like 6-7 y/o......you might have heard of it way back then

basically, the NE...especially in this area, is still a ghetto.

Or is it and ethnic problem, the mix seems to be pretty diverse up there, alot more than other parts of the city...
    Thoughts?
    maxt [/B]
    yea i think its because of the wannabe hardcore thugs....but i think they are from that area.....its basically how the NE was back then, a bunch of newer suburbs for kids to get into trouble

My Ride
    something green

Yeah I lived in the Northeast for some time as well...
    I can't say I miss the place, but it didn't seem to have the same frequency of incidents as the northwest lately...
    Whats amazing is all that happens with a huge number of cops in the area, when driving up there, the amount of cops is unreal..Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    2008 Z06

When my car was broken into any my stereo amp, deck, and wallet stolen, my drivers license and other cards were found in the NW on a street.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

I used to live in the NE for about 10 or 11 years. After moving up into the NW, it's much better. It's like night and day pretty much.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

Hahah shit, i live in the NE, my garage got broken into 2 times in the first 2 days that i moved here

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

Ding ding. Stupid teenagers that want to be thugs with rich parents.

I live in the NE, we've had our garage busted into twice and about 3k in tools cleaned out. In 02 our garage was set on fire. Other than those incidents I dont have anything to complain about..

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Nothing ever happens in the south *knock on wood*
    Travel

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I saw a dead cat on the road once in the country.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    94 civic hatch

My van was set on fire like 3 years ago. It was in my driveway and it burnt the shit out of the front of my house

I lived in the NE for 4 years. Parked my car outside, with all the goodies in it, pretty expensive sound system, LCD monitor, radar detector always on the windshield, etc. I no longer own that particular car, but I can tell you that I NEVER had anyone try to touch my car (alarm would have told me).

My dad, who drove a van at the time, parked around Silvercity for a little while, and had the van broken into, a shit like a Swiss Army knife stolen, nothing of real value.

This is nothing conclusive of course, but look in the Calgary Sun under the law section. Look at the Car Prowlings and Car Thefts in the different sections of the city. The NW is pretty bad. Also remember major incidents, like in Hidden Valley about 4 months ago, when some idiots smashed like 75 car windows.

My opinion on why the NW sucks so much? When they first built the NW, with communities like Hidden Valley, Sandstone, etc, it was DIRT cheap. I remember when me and my dad were looking to move to Calgary, we saw homes up there, full sized family homes with double car garage, for around $130 000, brand new. These days, the exact same houses cost like $180 000.

So what happened? All the cheap people moved in. And now that everything cost more, everyone thinks that the NW is a "great part of the city to live in". But what people don't realize is the amount of assholes who moved into there when it was cheap.
    Last edited by Abom; 06-05-2003 at 10:07 PM.

you know whats really ghetto??? the southwest! the other day my 7yr old neighboor capped my ass with a super soaker in broad daylight! i swear to god im moving out of this fucking slum!

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Default Re: Northwest is the ghetto...

There is alot of jokes about Penbrooke,Forest lawn , Dover etc etc, being the "hood", but it seems to me the Northwest, actually the far northwest is really the shittier end of town..
    Apart from the news that makes this forum, there are alot of other signs, everytime I go into a subdivision up there, there is ton of shattered glass along the curbs.
    The Hamptons seems to be hot area for theft, vandalism and stupidity, its a swanky area too, on the street where my GF lives, there never fails to be a car that has been hit, everytime I go there, the guy a few doors down even puts a "club" on his 82 toyota corrolla, apparently its been stolen twice, now thats just pathetic...I will try and get a pic of a car on the street, its a silver Honda civic that some girl owns, someone took a baseball bat to it, this last week, and its not the first time the car has been hit,apprently..
    Thoughts?
    maxt
    hmm where does your g/f live? im up in the hamptons too, its sooo quite here! compared to like ranchlands. hamptons is like a old rich people place. when im out i hardly ever see ppl my age in the late night, only during halloween and new years and stuff. hmm maybe just like a group of like 5 teens going round busting stuff up.

I had 2 crimes commited against my car when I lived in the SW. The whole city's becoming a ghetto. For those who don't think so, get your head out of the sand.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

if you dont like the north side come and move down to the south side... yo....

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    I had 2 crimes commited against my car when I lived in the SW. The whole city's becoming a ghetto. For those who don't think so, get your head out of the sand.
    Agreed, the problem is not particularily focused on one part of the city, its Calgary...
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

I don't think the SW really has a problem at all. I live in woodbine and have never had any problems in my neighbourhood except my neighbor standing on his front porch egging the houses in the couldesack. We had one thing happen to the accord when my mom had it up at SAIT a couple years ago... Some kids set off the alarm and tried to steal the stock mag wheels and all they got away with where the lug nut covers... wouldn't be bad if they didnt cost $60 a piece to replace.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I live in Hawkwood and honestly I haven't heard of any major incidents involving car break in's or thefts in my neighborhood. Most neighborhoods in the NW like Hamptons, Arbour Lake, Hawkwood, Citadel, Tuscany, Edgemont and places like that generally are pretty quiet.

I mean in Hawkwood there's teh occasional bust of weed growing operations but not many car break in's or thefts!!

Actually being from Edgemont it is getting pretty bad, we get those police messages on the phone weekly now about shit being stolen, cars being broken into and about other shit. I still feel safer here than when I go to the SE or NE, but maybe its just an illusion that I think nothing will happen close to home. I have also been seeing a LOT more cops around the area too, compared to when we moved here 14 years ago and the area was new. I used to live in the NE as well, but being a young kid I didnt notice anything bad with the area, our garage got broken into but that was about it.

But agreed, this city is turning to shit. And I have noticed particularly that bus shelters in Edgemont/Hamptons have been targeted lately, I counted 6 (yup 6) glass shelters smashed in today.... Dumb kids

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Yeah, the SW is pretty bad too... my neighbours keep shovelling snow off my sidewalk and mowing my lawn for me!!! Damn those fools! jk. Yea, all the poor and cheap ppl live in the SW, so thieves know that there's nothing to steal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast