Quantcast
Crazy shooting at Virginia Tech - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: Crazy shooting at Virginia Tech

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

The argument being made that we should eliminate bullying is a good one, however, it's also overly optomistic and naive.

Bullying is an extention primal aggresstion and competition we all have. To try to eliminate all bullying is to try to, over a matter of decades, restrain genetic coding that's been ingrained for millions of years.

Want to reduce bullying: GREAT. I'm all for it. But it's a specondary and supplementary solution.

Our society no longer allows anyone to resolve their own conflicts in any sort of satisfying natural way. The guy who pushes you down today is going to push you down twice tomorrow if you're retaliation is to go to group counceling with him and try to hug...

There's nothing wrong with agression and competition. It's (typically) what seperates the 30 year old who works at McD's from the 25 year old pullin in $150,000/year. We need to nurture natural instincts and channel them appropriately so they don't just bottle up more and more and more until the problem is too big to deal with.

Someone pushes you down and takes your lunch money often enough and eventually the time's going to come where you get up, dust yourself off, and do what you gotta do to get your money back.

Problem is, in our society, we don't allow that. So you've just gotta keep getting pushed down over and over and over again until punching the guy in the face isn't enough to reclaim your dignity (in your own mind, at least).

Kris
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

People are saying the thing may be partyly inspired by the korean flick OldBoy..........i dont recall anywhere in oldboy where the main character picked up a gun and went crazy.

Originally posted by finboy

as per making himself isolated, that could be due to mental illness, could be that he tried talking to people (in this case the two girls that brought up stalking complaints against him), or maybe he was socially inept
    So being a mature adult, and if the teacher didnt defend him, why not goto the Dean of the department and report it to the professors boss, vs picking up a gun and shooting up a school?

This thread is hilarious how people blame mental illness.

Mental Illness does not equal aggressive behavior. Stop googling lawsuits in the states where people get away w/ it. Seriously, how many people in CALGARY can hardly speak english. Do you see them loading their guns and going to town?
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by 403Gemini

So being a mature adult, and if the teacher didnt defend him, why not goto the Dean of the department and report it to the professors boss, vs picking up a gun and shooting up a school?
    neither you or i were in his situation or state of mind, so we can't really see why he didn't go to a higher up authority, maybe he was afraid of the same reaction, but no one can say for sure since the person it happened to is dead.

This thread is hilarious how people blame mental illness.

Mental Illness does not equal aggressive behavior.
    but bullying, along with many other outside factors do, as seen time and time again by the likes of taber, columbine, and several others.

[/b]
    Seriously, how many people in CALGARY can hardly speak english. Do you see them loading their guns and going to town? [/B]
    well calgary's recent gang shootings.....

but seriously, this isn't a one factor situation, its a combination of many small things pissing off the wrong person, at the wrong time, and the ability to go unnoticed.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Originally posted by finboy

but bullying, along with many other outside factors do, as seen time and time again by the likes of taber, columbine, and several others.
    Originally posted by 403Gemini

Then he hit college. As mentioned above , a school with THOUSANDS of students and he couldnt find anybody?

HE made himself a victum, nobody else. This "bullying" shit doesnt fly, it doesnt happen when you're in college. Not when you're 23 and an adult. People grow up and mature, and he was just a pussy ass bitch that couldnt take life.

"When they went to the United States, they told them it was autism," said Kim, 85, adding that the family had constant worries about Cho.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/...Q_l8H2UDWm1OFF

For those that dont know:
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/a...ail_autism.htm

What are some common signs of autism?
    There are three distinctive behaviors that characterize autism. Autistic children have difficulties with social interaction, problems with verbal and nonverbal communication, and repetitive behaviors or narrow, obsessive interests. These behaviors can range in impact from mild to disabling.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    S/C 03 eclipse, 00 accord, 96 shadow, 06 TJ Sport

That guy was a fucking looser and i cant beleve some of you guys are trying to blame this rampage on bullys and mental illness. How about blaming him for killing innocent students. So what, he was being bullied SO WHAT, every looser gets bullied in school, its the natural order of things. Shooting unarmed unsuspecting students is so spineless and then sending your myspace bullshit photos of some 90 lb. korean trying to look bad ass is even more of a joke. The media should have never released the package that was sent to them, thats exactly what he wanted, that is why serial killers are so "popular" is because of fucking news faggots making a story off a tragedy.

My Ride
    Not Fast Enough..

Originally posted by 3g4me
    The media should have never released the package that was sent to them, thats exactly what he wanted, that is why serial killers are so "popular" is because of fucking news faggots making a story off a tragedy.

The package shouldn't have been released to the public.

he was being bullied SO WHAT, every looser gets bullied in school, its the natural order of things.
    It is also natural order of things that (People who have been Bullied + Guns) = a lot of dead people... That's why bullying should not be tolerated... because at the end, it's not only bullies get hurt... innocent people get hurt too.

How is going around and shooting people a natural order of things?

Originally posted by cloud7

It is also natural order of things that (People who have been Bullied + Guns) = a lot of dead people... That's why bullying should not be tolerated... because at the end, it's not only bullies get hurt... innocent people get hurt too.

My Ride

I think we're going to see an awful lot more of this over our lifetimes. Not because our world is becoming more violent, but because people are becoming more frustrated. Air Rage, road Rage, how many other rages are going to show up over the next 30 years as people gradually become more and more oppressed. I often get "advertising rage" when you can't for the life of you, escape advertising. I know, that it's not enough to drive me over the edge, but people are losing their ability to cope on a daily basis, because like TKRIS said, people are unable to resolve their own issues, or worse, not ALLOWED to resolve their own problems. I can't escape advertisting, I pay for a newsaper filled with advertisting, i pay for cable which is 1/3rd advertisting, i spend a few hours a day being advertised to on the internet. Our society as a whole, is becoming so pent up, and stressed out that it's only going to get worse.

Part of this problem is arises because we've allowed the federal, provincial and municipal goverments take over so much of what we once would have been responsible for ourselves, and now, we (i for one) are regretting giving them so much power over our lives. Most people grin and bear it, some people protest and often get arrested for it, and i think and increasing number of people are going to start snapping.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

That guy was a fucking looser and i cant beleve some of you guys are trying to blame this rampage on bullys and mental illness. How about blaming him for killing innocent students. So what, he was being bullied SO WHAT, every looser gets bullied in school, its the natural order of things. Shooting unarmed unsuspecting students is so spineless and then sending your myspace bullshit photos of some 90 lb. korean trying to look bad ass is even more of a joke. The media should have never released the package that was sent to them, thats exactly what he wanted, that is why serial killers are so "popular" is because of fucking news faggots making a story off a tragedy.
    he is to blame, but what people in this thread are questioning is what caused the situation.

the way nbc and other channels are selling the story is quite sick, but it does put a face to the killer, and show more towards the reasoning behind it.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by gerrycurl21
    People are saying the thing may be partyly inspired by the korean flick OldBoy..........i dont recall anywhere in oldboy where the main character picked up a gun and went crazy.
    no they got it all wrong, it was inspired by the movie number 23

you see he himself was infact 23 and he killed 32 people, and 32 is 23 backwards....

My Ride
    Not Fast Enough..

OLDBOY and this sick situation have no relation.
    Unless somebody fucked their sister! haha

I think the key debate we're talking about is measures that this tragedy could of been prevented. Nobody is arguing what he did was wrong, and nobody is diverting the blame on him.

I still stand by and say bullying and shit is NO excuse. My cousin a bipolar schizofrenic and got tortured in school to the point he dropped out. Hes now redoing all of his high school classes through correspondence. He had rocks thrown at him and beat up regularly because of his illness but he knew what was right and wrong and would never go into a school and unload on random kids.

Taber is totally different as well, that kid went after his bullies after he exhausted everything else he could possibly do. talked to his parents, teachers, principal, his parents even told the police... nothing helped so naturally he felt trapped, but he TRIED and nobody helped. I blame the people who turned a blind eye on that one. And he only went after the people who tortured him.

Columbine and this fucko from Virginia tech are just fucking lunatics that just wanted to go out with a bang, and because of the media, they are now immortalized.

Cho obviously thought himself as a martyr standing up for the "lil guy" and trying to set an example.

Fuck him, he can burn in hell. I dont feel bad for him at all
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

OK, when I went to school there were bullies too. Are things that much different now that all of a sudden Bullying has become a North American epidemic? I have to wonder if it is not just a convenient scapegoat. In this politically-correct 'everyone must wear a helmet' safety-conscious society, is it maybe possible that we're creating the problem by over-protecting and therefore sissy-fying our kids?

Our children are in danger! There needs to be a law to wear helmets, there are bullys out there, OMG the GERMS - get the Lysol Wipes! If you remove all danger or obsticles for your children they don't learn to cope with anything. They never had to. Let them fall down once in a while. Let them eat the M&M they dropped on the floor once every 6 months or so. It's good for them, and its good for society.

It's like what George Carlin said about washing his hands. He said he doesn't like to use all these sterilizing wipes etc because if your immune system doesn't get any practise on simple dirt and stuff then it won't have the built-up tolerence to the big diseases when they come along... kinda the same here...

When I was a kid I was told to put up with a bully and not react. "Ignore them and they usually stop. If they don't get the reaction they're looking for they'll stop. If they don't stop teasing with words then just avoid them. Words are just that. If they threaten violence, then tell the teacher. And if they attempt to fight, fight back - but don't be the instigator. "

Worked good for me. The first time I gave a bully a black eye when he started some shit was also the last.

I just have to wonder if it really is getting worse out there in school now-a-days or are parents just over-reacting to media hype about this problem? I wonder if parents spend too much time worrying about their children...

In the case of people just killing themselves or bringing a glock to school and unloading on the popular kids, could it be that they see no other alternative because they have never had to deal with any kind of real conflict or never learned any sort of coping methods when they were younger? They don't know how to deal with things so they figure the only way out is to get rid of the problem altogether? Used to be that they just killed themselves, now they want revenge on top of it... take a few of the 'bad guys' out while they're at it.

Let's face it, someone had to be the first... whoever did the first school shooting paved the way for the rest of them... I mean, as soon as news of that first school shooting hit the airwaves it became an option to all those kids who have no coping skills. They may have thought about it before but it hadn't been DONE. Now that its been done it seems a more plausible idea to them. Teach them to cope with life and their problems and it will reduce the chances of such tragedies in the future.

End bullying? Fuck that. It won't happen... It would be nice if it did, but it won't. How about we help our children to cope with bullys by not running behind little Johnny with a net every time he takes a step.

PS: If they're looking for a real scapegoat to the rash of school shootings they should ignore movies, and TV. Ever read that Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) book called Rage? (sarcasm very much intended)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_%28novel%29
    Last edited by jhmed; 04-20-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Originally posted by jhmed
    OK, when I went to school there were bullies too. Are things that much different now that all of a sudden Bullying has become a North American epidemic? I have to wonder if it is not just a convenient scapegoat. In this politically-correct 'everyone must wear a helmet' safety-conscious society, is it maybe possible that we're creating the problem by over-protecting and therefore sissy-fying our kids?

Our children are in danger! There needs to be a law to wear helmets, there are bullys out there, OMG the GERMS - get the Lysol Wipes! If you remove all danger or obsticles for your children they don't learn to cope with anything. They never had to. Let them fall down once in a while. Let them eat the M&M they dropped on the floor once every 6 months or so. It's good for them, and its good for society.

It's like what George Carlin said about washing his hands. He said he doesn't like to use all these sterilizing wipes etc because if your immune system doesn't get any practise on simple dirt and stuff then it won't have the built-up tolerence to the big diseases when they come along... kinda the same here...

When I was a kid I was told to put up with a bully and not react. "Ignore them and they usually stop. If they don't get the reaction they're looking for they'll stop. If they don't stop teasing with words then just avoid them. Words are just that. If they threaten violence, then tell the teacher. And if they attempt to fight, fight back - but don't be the instigator. "

Worked good for me. The first time I gave a bully a black eye when he started some shit was also the last.

I just have to wonder if it really is getting worse out there in school now-a-days or are parents just over-reacting to media hype about this problem? I wonder if parents spend too much time worrying about their children...

In the case of people just killing themselves or bringing a glock to school and unloading on the popular kids, could it be that they see no other alternative because they have never had to deal with any kind of real conflict or never learned any sort of coping methods when they were younger? They don't know how to deal with things so they figure the only way out is to get rid of the problem altogether? Used to be that they just killed themselves, now they want revenge on top of it... take a few of the 'bad guys' out while they're at it.

Let's face it, someone had to be the first... whoever did the first school shooting paved the way for the rest of them... I mean, as soon as news of that first school shooting hit the airwaves it became an option to all those kids who have no coping skills. They may have thought about it before but it hadn't been DONE. Now that its been done it seems a more plausible idea to them. Teach them to cope with life and their problems and it will reduce the chances of such tragedies in the future.

End bullying? Fuck that. It won't happen... It would be nice if it did, but it won't. How about we help our children to cope with bullys by not running behind little Johnny with a net every time he takes a step.

PS: If they're looking for a real scapegoat to the rash of school shootings they should ignore movies, and TV. Ever read that Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) book called Rage? (sarcasm very much intended)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_%28novel%29
    well said

My Ride
    Honda

Wow Look at the bullshit they sent us at the university today.

At approximately 5:00 pm today (April 20, 2007), Campus Safety received a report of 6' tall, dark-haired male, dressed in a light shirt and camouflage pants, walking through campus possibly armed with a gun.

Saskatoon Police are on the scene, sweeping the campus. Members of the campus community are advised to leave immediately or remain behind locked doors.
    Leave campus or get behind a locked door? For fucks sake.
    Because someone THOUGHT some random guy MIGHT have had a gun. We got 3 more e-mails throughout the day warning us to hide behind locked doors or get off campus.

No arrests made. NOT EVEN A SUSPECT FOUND.

I'm quickly reminded of all the fucking retards who stayed away from the Calgary Tower after 9/11.

My Ride

Did really expect anything different? It would be nice to, but we don't live in any age of reason. I really hope another enlightenment comes, because if "idiocracy" is the most prophet piece of literature of our time, i will be very upset.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10