Quantcast
Possible provincial sales tax in Alberta? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Possible provincial sales tax in Alberta?

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Possible provincial sales tax in Alberta?

Personally, i think this is just fear mongering by the oil and gas companies.

Provincial Sales Tax Concept

April 24, 2007 - 8:15 am
    By: Kevin Usselman

The question being posed by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers is what's more important the environment, or the economy.

Vice President, Greg Stringham says curbing oil sands development would dramatically reduce government revenue. Stingham says, “This year alone, the province is collecting 3.7 billion dollars in royalty payments out of the Tarsands, which is the same amount of money a 6 percent sales tax would generate.”

Stringham adds a moratorium on future expansion, would further erode revenue, which in turn could boost that sales tax number to the 10 to 15 percent range. He says, “People really need to think things through before reining in growth”.

Environmentalists counter that no amount of money is worth the long term damage posed to land and wildlife in the area, by letting things proceed unabated.

http://www.660news.com/news/topstory...24_081527_3248
    Tim

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 08:54 PM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

wow thats gay..

Ralph did so much to keep stupid shit out of this province and especially sales tax and now that hes gone people are starting to have a hay day with the government here..

what a joke
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Let me get this right.... we attempt a review of the Royalty revenue that they are STEALING, so they try and scare us with a PST?

Shoot the crooked fuckers.

This province is trying to F*** us more up the A$$... Gas is going up like crazy, and i wouldn't be suprised if it hits almost $1.65 a Litre by this summer.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    This province is trying to F*** us more up the A$$... Gas is going up like crazy, and i wouldn't be suprised if it hits almost $1.65 a Litre by this summer.
    What do gas prices have to do with the government?

My Ride

Originally posted by Mangina

What do gas prices have to do with the government?
    Originally posted by Fuel Tax Act

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Ac...sbn=0779746775

Rate of tax

11(1) The tax required to be paid pursuant to this Act shall be paid at the following rates:

(a) with respect to gasoline, diesel and other prescribed fuels, $0.09 per litre;

(b) with respect to aviation fuel and locomotive fuel, $0.015 per litre;

(c) with respect to liquefied petroleum gas, $0.065 per litre.

At the federal level:

The excise tax on gasoline is 10 cents per litre while the excise tax on diesel fuel and aviation fuel is 4 cents per litre. Since these amounts are charged at flat rates per litre rather than on a percentage basis, the amount of excise revenue the Government receives does not vary with price changes at the pump.

+6% GST
    Last edited by Crymson; 04-24-2007 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride

Yes, it' is fearmonger by the oil companies. But everyone is fear mongering, the only reason it's a problem in the first places is because of the fearmongering of ignorant, pseudo religious, environmentalists.

The gov't has good reason to curb tar sands EXPANSION, without environmental issues. The biggest being that all infrastructure, housing and public services are already stretched beyond limitation. However, that 3.7 billion wouldn't dry up, because that's what they're already making.

On the royalty issue -- that's fine, that just people's greed talking, eventually, and innevitabely, the goverment of alberta will slay their golden goose. The point is that the oil industy has kept alberta from having a sales tax in the first place.

Also, it's not just royalties that generate the outrageous free money for the government of alberta, bi weekly mineral right sales consistently generate tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue every two weeks. This money is completly non-refundable, oil companies pay huge sums of money to lease the rights for only a few years, there is no garauntee there is oil or gas there, and they don't get that money back regardless of what they find. And the kicker is, if they don't find what they want or don't drill soon enough, the government sells it again after 4 or 5 years.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I thought that there was a sales tax in alberta, it was just hidden?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by codetrap

Do you wear a tinfoil hat?

My Ride
    '04 STi

The "secret tax" in Alberta is an inflation rate in the range of 3% above the national average. It has the same net effect on reduction of real world purchasing power for people who live here as a tax would.

My Ride
    pedals

ralph gave the province away too (to help build the boom), but with the tiny royalties payed to the government, and the amount they are spending right now, something may have to change

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by sputnik

Do you wear a tinfoil hat?
    No, I was just under the impression that instead of collecting the "sales tax" by adding it on at the till, it was collected via higher manufacturing, or corporate taxes.

Hence, my phrasing the statement as a question. Good to see that you're all good and kind about answering it without being pricks about it.
    Last edited by codetrap; 04-24-2007 at 11:13 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

You're right. Hidden by the fact that we don't have shit else. Why are we the only province who have to pay separately for health care? PST might not be that bad an idea.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Ok everybody just chill your goddamn bones down. We're not getting a provincial sales tax, the government is not "trying to F*** us more up the A$$," and we're not converting to communism.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Originally posted by Mar

You're right. Hidden by the fact that we don't have shit else. Why are we the only province who have to pay separately for health care? PST might not be that bad an idea.
    Ontario implemented an annual health care premium in 2004. I'm pretty sure that Quebec has something similar, but it's integrated into their provincial personal income taxes. BC has it too.
    Tim