Quantcast
Obtaining Motorcycle License - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining Motorcycle License

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Tercel

Default Obtaining Motorcycle License

My roomates gf decided she would get him a motorcycle license and a motorcycle because they are retarded and like spending money they don't have. We thought it was as simple as going to a One Stop or something and writing a test and that was it for his beginners license. Thats all that has to be done in Ontario. But we went today to pick up a motorcycle learners book and it says you have to have someone drive with you that has a full license or something. Anyways, I couldn't figure it out and we didn't really have much time to talk to the lady behind the desk so could someone please explain the steps that need to be taken to go from having a regular drivers license for cars from Ontario, to being able to ride a motorcycle legally by yourself(even if its just a learners permit). And I read a couple places that motorcycle insurance is pretty cheap here. Is that true? He will only be getting like a 1990-95 and something around the 600-800cc area. And he is 25.

Thanks

While not yet legally required, a motorcycle instruction course is the only way to go. Too Cool Motorcycle School, the Calgary Safety Council, and others provide good motorcycle training and will then see the student through the process of obtaining their class 6 license.

I would not suggest any other path that skips the step of getting training, regardless of the size of bike they intend to ride or how much experience they have on dirtbikes.

Training is essential for safe riding.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

I wouldn't recommend any other route than through a course as well, but here's what you can do. Again, DO THE COURSE!

Write the learner's test. It's just a regular 20odd question multiple choice test. You pass, you get a learner's permit for your bike. That means that you can ride on public streets on a registered/insured motorcycle but ONLY with a chaperone. Said chaperone must have their motorcycle license, and technically, they have to be behind you (although that isn't usually enforced, it's a good idea). After that, get some experience and go back to the registries office. Tell them you want your motorcycle license and already have your learners. You need to provide your own bike, and then they will give you a route (or in some cases an earpiece) and they will follow in a car. Ride around their route properly and safely and return to registries. Get a new picture and wait for new license in the mail. TADA!

That's how it can be done...but the best way is through a safety course (I highly recommend Too Cool...they're booked full for a long time, but there's a good reason for that). They will test you at the end for your license as well. Riding a motorcycle isn't just about regular speeds. Slow speed is harder and more technical, but get that down and your skill base is set. On top of that, a course will make you think about things you wouldn't notice otherwise, regarding traffic behaviour, road conditions, and many other things.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Tercel

yeah...i think the thing that boggles my mind most is applying the brakes...i downhill mountain bike alot so i know the 70 front 30 rear rule but a mountain bike is a lot easier to manuever...or chuck...when things go bad...and also...what about starting off on a hill...i know its fun enough in big bulky trucks so i can image its quite fun on a bike

Barlow is offline I was under probation for 2 years

hill starts, its all in the rear brake, slip the clutch....

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Tercel

really thats it...i was reading through the manual and it said you have to put your foot down on one side...put it in first...then put it back to the other side and put the back brake on...then slowly let go of the clutch while holding the front brake and slowly increasing throttle...confused the living shit out of me...

My Ride
    96 Saab 900 turbo, 95 Z26, 99 CBR 600 F4, pic one.

Hill starts are easy. Just make sure you have one brake covered at all times. The rest is a piece of cake.

The brakes are easy too. Just remember that the 70/30 rule is for higher speeds. For slow speed parking lot type maneuvering you only really need to use the rear brake. The front is pretty grabby at slow speeds.

I'd highly suggest not doing the road test. Do the course instead. The road test is easier, but you wont know if you have the necessary skills for everyday riding. Challenge yourself and you will thank yourself in the long run.

My Ride
    1986 honda wagovan

+1 for too cool motorcycle school, kind of a funny name, but its an awesome school! and the instructors are really skilled and informative! a little pricey, but you wont regret it!

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Your class 5 is your motorcycle learners. It's all you need to ride as long as you're with someone who has their class 6. That person either needs to be on the bike with you, orin a car or on a bike on the road with you.

All the literature makes you think that you need to take the written test as a learners license, but it's not a learners. It's a permit to take the road/lot test. I assume they want to know you have enough knowledge to actually take the road test.

Personally I think it's a cash grab. $20 to take the written, $45 to take the road test, then another $20 to get your actual class 6 license.

I just got my license on friday, and that's exactly what I had to go through.
    Originally posted by syeve

Oh man, you must be some type of genious...

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Oh, and take a course. I took a course last week and there were people who passed the test who I personally wouldn't want to be on the road with. Those people had enough trouble handling a 150cc dirt bike. I can only imagine what they're going to be like when they get on their 1000lbs Harleys, or their 100hp sport bikes.
    Originally posted by syeve

Oh man, you must be some type of genious...

My Ride
    03 350

took my course through too cool and I was 100% satisfied
    they spend time with you one on one with everything and you
    really get to learn how to control and handle a bike
    plus the road tester comes to the group and you can get your
    licence on the spot. Trust me taking a course like too cool's
    helps in the long run

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by Fivewayradio
    Your class 5 is your motorcycle learners. ...........

when did that change? I had to take the motorcycle learners test and I had been driving for 3 years at that point (and before GDL)

+1 for too cool, took it in 2003
    Cos...

Your class 5 is your motorcycle learners. It's all you need to ride as long as you're with someone who has their class 6. That person either needs to be on the bike with you, orin a car or on a bike on the road with you.

All the literature makes you think that you need to take the written test as a learners license, but it's not a learners. It's a permit to take the road/lot test. I assume they want to know you have enough knowledge to actually take the road test.

Personally I think it's a cash grab. $20 to take the written, $45 to take the road test, then another $20 to get your actual class 6 license.

I just got my license on friday, and that's exactly what I had to go through.
    class 5 is a bike licence? uhh i dont so
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

Im betting that having a driving instructor behind you while taking the test must be nerve racking....
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

you are a motorcycle learner once you are over 16 and have a class 7

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...ers:newlicence

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Originally posted by 2BLUE

class 5 is a bike licence? uhh i dont so
    A class 5 has been a learners for all other classes for as long as I can remember. Look it up, rather than making smarmy comments that'll end up making you look like an asshole.

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Your class 5 is your motorcycle learners...
    Good call, never knew that.

Class 5 Licence permits an operator to drive:

a two axle single motor vehicle, excluding a motorcycle.
    a two axle motor vehicle towing a trailer with one or more axles, if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes.
    a recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes.
    a moped.
    Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 type vehicles, for learning only.
    No holder of a Class 5 operator's licence shall operate a motor vehicle:

that has a seating capacity of more than 15, while that vehicle is transporting any person in addition to the operator.
    to transport for hire.
    The minimum learning age is 14.
    The minimum licencing age is 16.

Requirements: road test.

Vehicle for road test: any two axle motor vehicle excluding a motorcycle.

My Ride
    is300

there is a written test for your motorcycle license which you need before taking the road test

My Ride
    POS Voyager

so we only need to write the written test before going for our course or what?

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Originally posted by FreakinPrince
    so we only need to write the written test before going for our course or what?

yup, you can do that (but don't skip on the course, i think it is a must)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast