Quantcast
Rear end someone? Why not have a party on the side of the road? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear end someone? Why not have a party on the side of the road?

My Ride
    NOYB.

There's no reason to stay in the road. Get the other guy's plate right away if you want - that way if he runs, you have info to provide to the police. But get off the bloody road. Police don't even come out any more unless the vehicles aren't drivable or there are injuries requiring an ambulance. Exchange info and report it to the most convenient district office to you as soon as you can.

My Ride
    w163

If i got rear-ended I wouldnt move for the simple reason that the guy would peace it if they got the chance...as stated above...

Originally posted by spiceboy
    This happened to me a few yrs ago: It was a cold, icy winter day and I was driving on 16Ave E bound. Traffic came to a stop and the car behind me was following too close and couldn't stop in time --> Minor fender bender. We were in the middle lane (right past SAIT) and when I stepped out of the car to inspect the damage I almost slipped on the ice while the cars were zooming past me in the adjacent lane. So I told the driver "Let's turn off 16Ave and stop at the Esso Station up ahead and we'll talk. It's too dangerous here." So we got into our cars, and he managed to make a lane change before I did (traffic jam). Next thing I know, I was just watching him turn off 16Ave, go past the Esso gas station and speed off!

This lesson taught me that when a hit and run occurs:
    1) Don't move your vehicles unless necessary.
    2) Before even talking to the other party involved, take down the license plate first (and make and model of car)
    3) Snap a few pics if you have a camera handy

AFTER all these, then it's "safe" to move your cars.

Originally posted by AhabTheArab
    Because you'll turn off while the other bitch doesn't and takes off.
    That's exactly what happend to me.....

Some asshole rear ended me on crowchild and kensington road....well a little past kensington road. Anyways we talked and I asked him to pull over to the intersection so we won't be blocking traffic and avoid getting run over. He said ok, let's go. So me being the person that was rear ended obviously i had to go first and he follow me.....so I turned off and the asswipe just kept driving straight and took off on me.....it was rush hour so by the time i turned around and got out of the intersection back onto Crowchild he was already gone.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 06-12-2007 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    w163

And if youre gonna move from the site....at least get the guy's plate!

Originally posted by BokCh0y

That's exactly what happend to me.....

Some asshole rear ended me on crowchild and kensington road....well a little past kensington road. Anyways we talked and I asked him to pull over to the intersection so we won't be blocking traffic and avoid getting run over. He said ok, let's go. So me being the person that was rear ended obviously i had to go first and he follow me.....so I turned off and the asswipe just kept driving straight and took off on me.....it was rush hour so by the time i turned around and got out of the intersection back onto Crowchild he was already gone.
    I love how people are yelling at folks like BokCh0y, spiceboy, AhabTheArab to get off the road right away when they are describing the same story over and over that basically writes out in big neon letters why that is not a good idea. People WILL run on you if you don't keep a check on them, same thing happened to my Dad. There really isn't a great solution to the problem, but what you guys did is probably the best thing. Stop, get out and take the other person's license plate down at least, then mention to pull over. There is no way around it, if you get rear-ended you can't just assume the culprit will pull off the road with you, in fact it's just plain stupid and naive.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Definitely nothing wrong with getting the persons info before hand, certainly should be the first course of action. What Im having the issue with is these extended hangouts and gathering that occur after an $800 fender bender.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Use your cell phone. Take a pic of the driver, the car, and the plate.

Let them run.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by eb0i
    I rather would get out and get the persons info before pulling off to the side. A hit and run is more likely to happen if you pull over to the side since the person in front hasn't even seen your license plate yet (in Alberta). After you exchange info then you can pull over to the side imo.
    I'm completely agree with this. Several years ago, I was driving and stopping and a red light. Guy behind me hits me going about 20-30km/hr and pushed me into the intersection. I put on my signal, turned and parked 5 m away, around the corner. I see the light turn green and buddy starts pulling forward slowly, then hammers on the gas and takes off.

I quickly turned around and sped trying to catch him. I end up getting pulled over for speeding. I explained the whole story to the police officer and he said "That's too bad" as he handed me my ticket for 66 in a 50 zone. Cost me $200 for the ticket plus $1200 damage.

Now, I don't care if I get hit and block both lanes, I stop and get the license plate at the very least before pulling ahead and exchanging info. If someone saw me doing this, they might think "what an asshole", but once you get "bit once" it somewhat changes the way you look at things.

Originally posted by project240

I'm completely agree with this. Several years ago, I was driving and stopping and a red light. Guy behind me hits me going about 20-30km/hr and pushed me into the intersection. I put on my signal, turned and parked 5 m away, around the corner. I see the light turn green and buddy starts pulling forward slowly, then hammers on the gas and takes off.

I quickly turned around and sped trying to catch him. I end up getting pulled over for speeding. I explained the whole story to the police officer and he said "That's too bad" as he handed me my ticket for 66 in a 50 zone. Cost me $200 for the ticket plus $1200 damage.

Now, I don't care if I get hit and block both lanes, I stop and get the license plate at the very least before pulling ahead and exchanging info. If someone saw me doing this, they might think "what an asshole", but once you get "bit once" it somewhat changes the way you look at things.

I learned my lesson the hard way.....won't make the same mistake twice!!!!!!

Originally posted by urban.one
    Use your cell phone. Take a pic of the driver, the car, and the plate.

Let them run.

Originally posted by cloud7

Actually a co-worker got a big ticket because she pulled over at a safe place ~100 m from where the police had the lights on. Obviously the police wasn't too happy and said that "when you see the lights, you should stop right away"
    So if the cops are behind you, and turn their lights on, and you lock up your brakes to stop right away, and they hit you, is it the cop's fault?

---

As for pulling over--the general procedure the cops recommend is to ensure there are no injuries and the cars are drivable before moving the cars. This gives you time to see what the other driver looks like, and snap a photo of the plate and the two cars making love with that disposable camera you keep in your glove box. You do, right?
    Last edited by barbarian; 06-15-2007 at 04:32 PM.

My Ride
    Lada Niva

no, the rules just change, now you get charged for being a homo because the cop gave it to you in the rearend.
    OOOOoooo....

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

Originally posted by AhabTheArab
    Because you'll turn off while the other bitch doesn't and takes off.
    this happened to a friends of mine. It was rush hour so he told the opther party to follow him to a parking lot up ahead. just before they got there he jetting down a residential street and after a short chase he got away. fwd vs. 4wd truck in winter he had no chance.

so get your info and fuck going to a safe place... you may just get fucked over.

My Ride
    Miata

All good posts... I think the conclusion is that we should always stop at the accident scene first, take down the other driver's license plate and better his insurance/registration info, and then evaluation the situation whether police needs to be called or make any phone call you need. Then move your car to some safe place without blocking the traffic.

The morale here is just no need to stop your car in the middle of the road to wait for a cop to show up, your family to come rescue, or just the tow truck to come.

The best part is if you suggest to these people to move their cars into the parkin lot 20 feet away they tell you they HAVE TO leave them there for the police.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Bump... some fool creating a massive traffic jam on 17th yesterday because someone touched his bumper. He as taking up almost 2 lanes because he decided to leave his door open while he chatted with the other party involved.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by cloud7

Actually a co-worker got a big ticket because she pulled over at a safe place ~100 m from where the police had the lights on. Obviously the police wasn't too happy and said that "when you see the lights, you should stop right away"
    Negative. It's actually acceptable to call the station while the cop is following you and ask them to confirm the car behind you is a legitimate officer of the law. I've heard of people doing this, they radio out to the cop, cop radios back and they confirm over the phone. Then you stop.

As for the fender benders on the road, when I was in the USA they had signs on the highway saying things like, "Next collision inspection site: 300 metres" and there would be a little zone to pull off onto.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by spiceboy
    This happened to me a few yrs ago: It was a cold, icy winter day and I was driving on 16Ave E bound. Traffic came to a stop and the car behind me was following too close and couldn't stop in time --> Minor fender bender. We were in the middle lane (right past SAIT) and when I stepped out of the car to inspect the damage I almost slipped on the ice while the cars were zooming past me in the adjacent lane. So I told the driver "Let's turn off 16Ave and stop at the Esso Station up ahead and we'll talk. It's too dangerous here." So we got into our cars, and he managed to make a lane change before I did (traffic jam). Next thing I know, I was just watching him turn off 16Ave, go past the Esso gas station and speed off!

This lesson taught me that when a hit and run occurs:
    1) Don't move your vehicles unless necessary.
    2) Before even talking to the other party involved, take down the license plate first (and make and model of car)
    3) Snap a few pics if you have a camera handy

AFTER all these, then it's "safe" to move your cars.

see this is why the first thing i always do after an accident is get out and take a picture of their plate...then the driver...then the scene. It really sets people back a bit. I had one guy ask me if I was a lawyer. hahahahaha
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2004 DSG Mustang GT

Originally posted by Mar
    Negative. It's actually acceptable to call the station while the cop is following you and ask them to confirm the car behind you is a legitimate officer of the law. I've heard of people doing this, they radio out to the cop, cop radios back and they confirm over the phone. Then you stop.

As for the fender benders on the road, when I was in the USA they had signs on the highway saying things like, "Next collision inspection site: 300 metres" and there would be a little zone to pull off onto.
    Where is this? at? I've never seen any of those signs, especially in meters... And I doubt there are those signs, because it is not a big enough occurrence to have them...

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by exodus989

Where is this? at? I've never seen any of those signs, especially in meters... And I doubt there are those signs, because it is not a big enough occurrence to have them...
    In Atlanta on the 75.......or 94, I used so many freeways between here and there I can't remember where they were. But it was Atlanta. I knew I'd have someone mention the usage of the metric system but I can't remember which unit of measurement they used. Maybe it was 1/4 mile or something like that, I don't remember.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast