Quantcast
Horror story involving a local shop (long story) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror story involving a local shop (long story)

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Default Horror story involving a local shop (long story)

*If you guys remember, I had mentioned in that Kal Tire thread that I will be posting my horror stories regarding my dealings with local shops for the last 15yrs. Well here's the most recent one.....

So the BMW 325is that I sold to my cousin needed a rebuilt head due to someone's half-ass helicoiling skills. Eventually the #5 spark plug turned itself out of the plug hole with the helicoil attached to it, and finally went straight up through the coil and stripped what little thread was there for the helicoil to use. My cousin never blamed me, but I still wanted to make sure that he got the best service possible he could, so I referred him to a shop that I had used before for this very same car. Although the previous work was minor, I had been happy with the service, which as you know can make up for a shop's shortcomings in other areas. Even though my cousin had an uncle that owned a shop and was capable of doing the repairs, I had vouched for this shop, so he heeded my advice and dropped the BMW off at this shop. He actually decided to go with a complete used engine swap because the labor was almost the same but he'd get a lower mileage engine PLUS a new clutch/flywheel was needed on the advice of the shop's owner, who incidentally we had been dealing with from day one.

I wanted to be up-to-date with everything that went on with this repair because 1) it was my cousin's car 2) I felt bad that this had happened only a short while after he had bought it 3) this shop was very close to my work so it was easy for me to go and check up on the progress. Duing one of my visits, the used engine assembly had arrived and I asked the shop owner how was the general condition of the engine, which in turn he had said good with only 140K. I had also stated that if ANY seals/gaskets needed to be replaced to do so, because with my knowledge of the industry, no company warrantees seals/gaskets, and that money wasn't an issue here. When the job was done, the owner said only the valve cover gasket was leaking and that was the only gasket replaced. So after the engine R & R job AND clutch R & R job were done, my cousing paid the shop the almost $6 grand bill and left.

About a month later, my cousin notices a coolant leak. He takes it back to the shop that installed the engine, and they diagnose that the headgasket is leaking. Eventually, the shop's owner and my cousin come to an agreement to swap in another used motor and split the labor (shop said they won't cover all of it) but the bonus was that the motor would be warranteed by the vendor. So they setup a dropoff date and all is supposedly well. When my cousin calls the shop to confirm the day before, the shop gives excuses as to why they cant do it that week, and to call back next week. Same thing the next week, and the next week and the next week etc. At one point the original shop was going farm out the job to another shop, but THAT shop was very behind on work, as was the original shop so they said.

It's now 4 fucking months later and my cousin has been having to add ~1L of coolant everyday, because it leaves a fucking puddle of it everytime he turns the car off. Now I'm usually a bad-tempered guy right off the bat, but I just kept telling my cuz/myself that this shop and owner would do him right, and stand by their WORK, but most importantly, their WORD. That wasn't the case at all so I finally had to have a word with the owner. I went down there today and told the owner that my cuz is sick of getting jerked around and given the runaround, and that the car HAS to be fixed. I reminded him that I SPECIFICALLY said to make sure to replace ANY seals and/or gaskets that need replacing (I'm pretty sure headgasket fits in that category duh) because everyone knows it's ALOT easier to replace these while the engine's on a stand. The owner took full responsibility for not replacing the headgasket and then gave more excuses as to why he hasn't booked the car in yet. After our 'heated' discussion, we came to an agreement and the owner told me that we can drop off the car Monday morning and it will be done in a week. I even said thanks to the owner (even after everything) and I left. My cuz and I felt good that this issue was finally getting resolved, especially after 4 months of being bent over about it....

About a half-hour after I left, the shop owner calls my cuz and tells him he doesn't appreciate ppl. coming to his shop and bitching at him blah blah blah. Now remember kids, this is AFTER he ALREADY setup the appointment to get the car done next week...My cuz is ALOT calmer guy than I am but he also was tired of being fucked with by this so-called mechanic/mechanic's shop and so the shop owner and him both got into over the phone, and eventually the owner told him he WILL NOT work on my cuz's car ever again, and to take it somewhere else to get fixed because he's 'done' with it, and to NEVER bring it back to his shop then hangs up on my cousin!!
    **EDIT forgot to add this**
    My cousin called back, but an employee picked up this time and told him the owner was busy, Then my cuz told the employee that he'd be leaving work right away and going down to the shop to discuss the matter further with the owner. When my cuz gets there, he finds the front door LOCKED, and all the lights turned off. Why would they hide if they didn't feel responsible for this sad sad scenario??

For those of you that actually read that whole thing (including the owner of this shop because he IS a member of beyond.ca, and some of you know him very well) I have withheld the name of the shop and the owner's name to give him/them ONE MORE CHANCE to do right by my cuz, and to do the job next week as the owner had promised. I had told the owner that we were going to get this taken care of regardless, and it was up to him what avenue we should be taking, but yes surprisingly he offered to do the job next week and be done in a week.

To the owner of the shop: All we want is for you to do what you promised and to do the engine R & R job next week. You know who you are, and who my cuz and I am, and what our phone numbers are. If I or my cousin don't hear from you by Friday May 18, 2007 @ 1200pm, then we WILL exercise EVERY legal action to the extent of the law while pursuing this matter further via lawyers and a lawsuit. Trust me, there will not be ANY shortage of money involved in this matter, so be prepared to be fighting this out with us for a long time to come. I will also be talking to all the media, especially The Calgary Sun, and btw remember that story that you guys were in with that other customer of yours? AMVIC, CMDA, BBB, and EVERY other auto repair-shop related group in Canada will be notified of this scenario. I will also be replacing yours and your shop's anonymity throughout this post with yours and your shop's NAME. Last but definitely not least, other potential customers will be notified of the facts of this sad matter via word-of-mouth, the worst negative advertising for a small shop to encounter, which has brought many-a-entrepeneur down.

Sounds like a difficult situation to be in.

I'd imagine this would catch their attention anyways... heres hoping both sides work things out with each other.

And if not, well, it's always nice giving fellow beyond members a heads up

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

I'm saddened to hear shit like this.
    Hopefully it can be resolved amicably soon.
    Horrible to hear stories of shops that just simply, dropped the ball, and refused to take responsibility and resolve the issue...

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Lease

Sorry to hear that dude, that's not cool (based on your version of the story).

Yea Beyond's known to bring down some shops eh... I'm actually quite scared myself Beyond makes me feel like I'm on a neverending episode of Suvivor-automotive edition.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by katana9x4
    Sounds like a difficult situation to be in.

I'd imagine this would catch their attention anyways... heres hoping both sides work things out with each other.

And if not, well, it's always nice giving fellow beyond members a heads up
    It is a difficult situation, but what really chaps my ass is how he went against his previous words to my cousin over the phone....and yes it's good for us auto-enthusiasts to have beyond.ca as a medium to warn fellow members of the potential horrors associated with dealing with certain shops...

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    I'm saddened to hear shit like this.
    Hopefully it can be resolved amicably soon.
    Horrible to hear stories of shops that just simply, dropped the ball, and refused to take responsibility and resolve the issue...

Thanks I hope so too. But like I mentioned, it doesn't matter how much $$ it takes or how long it takes, because in the end it's the principle of it all........

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Sorry to hear that dude, that's not cool (based on your version of the story).

Yea Beyond's known to bring down some shops eh... I'm actually quite scared myself Beyond makes me feel like I'm on a neverending episode of Suvivor-automotive edition.
    Thanks...Well for someone who's dealt with and continue to deal with, many shops here in town over the last 15 yrs, while also being IN the repair industry myself for 5 of those 15 yrs, it IS sad to see this happening. As for my side of the story, the owner's son, the previous owner of the car (before me) who incidentally had taken the car to them before, and the 'BMW' mechanic of the shop all have knowledge of this situation, and I guarrantee that everything I've posted is FACTUAL. But like I said, I'm giving them one more chance to fix this before I name names.....

good luck hope every thing works out for the best
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

oh shitty. thats very nice of you for giving them one more chance to make it right. Many wouldve snapped already, including myself..

btw: thats why theres a puddle under the car today at the meet.. didnt think it was the car at all.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by stevo 27
    good luck hope every thing works out for the best
    thanks, we do too....

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    oh shitty. thats very nice of you for giving them one more chance to make it right. Many wouldve snapped already, including myself..

btw: thats why theres a puddle under the car today at the meet.. didnt think it was the car at all.
    Yeah I guess it was dumb to assume they would stand by their own words but yes vince the car leaves that amt. of coolant EVERY time he turns off the engine. He's probably spent over $300 just on coolant for the last 4 mths. which he won't get back until we sue....

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

4 months is plenty of time, hope this all works out

Can you tell us the shop name please?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

*Post edited after hearing the rebuttal!*

Chalking it up to a one-off big disagreement that we've all had sometime somewhere with someone before.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 05-17-2007 at 12:30 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Can you tell us the shop name please?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Your Mom and Her Tits

Ya what be the name?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Wow, that really sucks, I hope everything turns out for the best, and i'm really curious about the name of the shop, the owner, and who they are on beyond!
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I think to keep it fair to yourself and the shop it is good you keep the name withheld...gives both of you the chance to work it out.

I hope it works out for both of you...

My Ride
    Honda CRV

damn sorry to hear about the car man.
    the shop did do wrong
    they need to get on top of this.

i think that its kinda weird why they would lock the doors and turn of the lights.
    unless they knew they were in the wrong
    which then they are hiding
    and could be causing other customers
    delay in work
    which could end up in even more cust's tryin to sue..

who ever the shop owners are
    pick up the ball on this one guys
    it could get real nasty.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    I think to keep it fair to yourself and the shop it is good you keep the name withheld...gives both of you the chance to work it out.

I hope it works out for both of you...
    I would have to agree, as curious as I am to know who the shop is. At least hold off telling us til the car is fixed

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Sorry to hear about your experience with this shop.
    I had a similar issue with one shop in the city, but in my case it was electrical problems. (long story). I also ended up threatening legal action, but eventually the issue was resolved. All the best.

My Ride
    1997 BMW 328i Convertible

File a writ in small debts court and try to win in court. I went through the same shit a few years ago and won my money back in court. I collected good evidence and used the laywer only to attend the court date using my case and evidence.

Seems like shop owners who operate like that do not give a shit about anything except the almighty buck and if he hasn't done you right by now he will not move as a result of this thread.

Post the name of the shop otherwise this thread is useless. I want to make sure I never take my BMW to this asshole.

What the fuck he installs a motor with a bad head gasket....that is bullshit I'd sue the bastard.

I agree with the above ^^^^

Regardless of whether he makes good or not, he still did what he did, and would probably do it again. Nobody should have to deal with that ever again in the future. I want to know so that myself and anyone I know avoids this shop.

Post the name, but maybe after it's resolved so that you don't get any additional headaches in your already painful process of trying to resolve this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast