Quantcast
Commuting downtown - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commuting downtown

Default Commuting downtown

I’m contemplation on whether I should take a job in downtown. I currently live in the N.E. so I would probably leave my car at the train station and take the train. My problem is I hate going downtown, don’t like the train and I won’t drive during rush hour. One thing I’m more worried about is parking my car at the station, I’m not familiar with the train station parking lots and was wondering which station would be best to park at. Now there is a chance that I can get a job outside of downtown, but if I take this job there is a 12 month commitment.

Any thoughts? Kinda looking for advice from daily downtown commuters.

Thanks

Ride your bike!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Okay, here is my take...I live WAY in the deep South East, I worked downtown last year from March till October. I started off parking at the LRT, but after a while I was like F that, takes too long, and I didn't want my car getting broken into. Taking the bus from myhouse to downtown is 1 hour and 45 minutes. Not an option. And its a long as bikeride.

I got transfered to another building that was not downtown, and had free parking. was there from October till May. After having free parking and driving to work every day, when I got transfered back dowtown, its like screw that and I pay for parking.

The convenience of just getting in your car and going is great, as well as its heated underground parking, and you dont have to worry about your car getting broken into...for me its worth it.

Just find a way to screw the parkade over every once and a while and you're good to go
    Travel

Originally posted by Moonracer
    Ride your bike!
    Your banned from this thread!!!

One good feature about downtown is all the eye-candy

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And 17th ave lunch cruises when the high school gets out...

Seriously though, parking at an LRT station is a guaranteed way to get broken into. Happens hourly I swear. I work downtown, pay for parking downtown in a nice secured lot. It's pricey though...

I know ppl that park close to downtown, and take a nice walk down. Or park near a c-train station that's close to downtown, and train it down from a safer parking spot.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Yeah, lunch time at Bow Valley Square and Eau Claire is worth it all on its own!

As rage pointed out, there are other alternatives, but why take transit for 4 bucks a day and catch more diseases than minutes it takes you to get where you are going, when you can drive downtown or near downtown even and hike it.
    Travel

Originally posted by rage2

I know ppl that park close to downtown, and take a nice walk down. Or park near a c-train station that's close to downtown, and train it down from a safer parking spot.
    A friend of mine mentioned that i can park in the residential area in Bridgeland. But even so, i have no idea how safe my car would be there.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How much $ are you willing to pay a month for parking?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Highlander

DO NOT PARK AT A CTRIN STATION. Do whatever you can do not to park there.

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

yea, i would never park at a c-train station, they're probably most dangerous lots in town. if you're willing to pay the big bucks then just park underground at an office, or james short. if not park somewhere near downtown, works really good if you have friends that live in that area, and just walk or train it.

Well the pay from this job is going to be alot lower than what i'm getting paid now. I could probably only afford around $100 a month. Mabey i'll just wait and see if can get a job at another branch.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Eh, it's not so bad. I live in the NE as well, and during the morning rush hour, it takes about 50 minutes from the time I step out my door and into the university. So if you're just going downtown, it shouldn't be much more than 30 minutes if even that.

My Ride
    A Hobo

my company pays for my parking downtown . i purchased an Ultrastart 2 way alarm and installed it myself . thing is tucked away so fucking far with a spare battery, u'd need to rip the car apart to find it .

so if you're worried about getting it broken into downtown, just do that .. i'll know about someoen breaking in or even messing with my car ..

don't trust LRT parking ..

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

used to live in vista heights... took me 15 mins max to get downtown in rush hour... 16 ave to deerfoot to memorial over the bridge and right downtown... parking was expensive but well worth it. especially after work not haveing to squish onto a hot train with people coughing on you and shit.. ugh

There's free motorbike parking in several areas downtown. You just have to get there by 645am or all the spots are gone. Guess you need a bike to take advantage of this.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

To be honest, $100/month for parking isn't going to get you anything downtown. What I would suggest is perhaps looking into some of the condo's downtown. Sometimes people will rent out their parking spots for cheap. There's also a lot on the east side of City Hall which was pretty cheap from what I remember.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

cheapest I found for condo parking rental was 150 a month.
    Travel

This huge Impark lot on 9th Ave charges about $200 per month.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Talking

A lot beside city hall only charges $127/month. It is outside 24-hour reserved parking. I believe it is called "Lot 9".

Originally posted by 5gluder

Your banned from this thread!!!

One good feature about downtown is all the eye-candy
    Huh huh.....Well luckily for me I live fairly close to D/T so I ride to work and park right up against the building I work at...
    There is soooo much eye candy down there it is dangerous!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast