Quantcast
Which Compact/sub-compact? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Compact/sub-compact?

Default Which Compact/sub-compact?

So I am helping a friend find a car, and she really isn't sure what to get.

We are looking at:

Honda Fit
    Honda Civic
    Toyota Yaris
    VW Rabbit
    Mazda 3
    Hyundai Tiburon

I am not in the know with the compacts these days and I was wondering peoples opinions that either own or have experience with these cars.

I personally like either the Civic, the 3 or the Rabbit, but am looking for other folk's oppinions.

The rabbit has won all the comparison tests I've read. It will be the most "solid" car of the bunch but in that category and given your choices you really cannot go wrong. Even hyundai has got their shit together these days and makes a good product with good warranty.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

From a design standpoint, I would go for the Rabbit. I've never owned a Toyota and wouldn't start with the Yaris of all cars, and I don't much care for Mazda.

Hyundai is Hyundai and you won't get either performance OR reliability, but you'll save a few bucks.

Civics are too played out in my opinion but the Fit is actually a good compact for the money.

Rabbit would probably my choice after the test drive.

My Ride
    a wrx.

-Yaris blows. Ridiculously shitty interior, looks stupid, and the worst part is that it drives like a tall piece of poop on 4 wheels.
    -Mazda3 is played out
    -Rabbit is sweet, but you'll pay out the ass for it (shut up, I'm talking about depreciation)
    -I wouldn't be caught dead in a Tibby

I would say the best choices would be between the Civic and the Fit. Great resale, reliability, and they drive nicely. They're in a different class, so it's up to you to decide what you're looking for. I would say the main benefit of the Civic is that you get wayyyy more car for slightly more money, but the Fit is a very versatile car and I like the way the seats move around.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Well she’s a girl, and I hope im assuming correctly in that she wont care if she’s see 100 other civic owners each day.

So if I were her I would get the civic which seems to have the best resale value, its pretty sporty, reliable, and a good all-round car.

Plus it has the cleanest gasoline burning engine in the world

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I would get a Civic Hybrid. Clean emissions, great economy, and still very well priced

My Ride
    corolla

what about the versa?
    I personally would go rabbit hands down. I love that car.
    But the Honda fit and Nissan Versa are nice as well.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Honda Fit
    Honda Civic
    Toyota Yaris
    VW Rabbit
    Mazda 3
    Hyundai Tiburon

From that list, my choice would be...

Rabbit > Fit > Civic > 3 > Nothing else.

I would go take the Fit over the civic because I find the new civic to be bulky and awkward, even if it is more powered. And the Rabbit, because it's damn cool haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    GTI

I have to put in my 2 cents. I drove the new civic during the winter, I hated it. Terrible blind spots, you cant see the front or rear of the vehicle, it's weird. It looks nice from the outside but I can't stand driving it.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    I have to put in my 2 cents. I drove the new civic during the winter, I hated it. Terrible blind spots, you cant see the front or rear of the vehicle, it's weird. It looks nice from the outside but I can't stand driving it.
    True. It's so different from the old-school Hondas from the late-80s to early-90s. In the old Hondas, visibility and seating positioning can't be beat. With the new safety standards to meet, current cars have such a raked windshield and thick A-pillars that take away a good portion of your forward view.

Everything's getting so tall now. Why can't they make a low-slung econobox anymore?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    A lot of new cars are like this now, and I think a lot of sports cars are designed with high shoulder lines so there's less glass on the car. Visibility is for pussies!

Well we looked at a couple of cars after work. First went to honda, liked the fit its actually a pretty fun little car. I have to agree with everyone else on here and say that the civic looks great from the outside, but once you sit in it it feels all wrong. The gauges are screwed and things just seem to be in the wrong place.

Looked at the Rabbit next and she fell in love. It is a nice car, the fit and finish is better than the Civic (how it will hold up long term I dunno). Felt like a much nicer car, very German. She is already sold, but I would still ike her to look at the Mazda 3.

I would agree with y'all and say the 3 is played out, but she doesn't notice that everyone and their mother drives one, if she likes it she doesn't care.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I checked out the Nissan Versa, the Honda Fit, and the Toyota Yaris.

Nissan Versa was kinda blah, aftermarket support wasn't huge. Just seemed boring.

Honda Fit was cool, typical Honda great interior, looks kinda dorky without aftermarket mods. A bit on the pricier side tho once optioned up similar to the others.

Toyota Yaris, good interior, awesome cupholders. Great use of space, and the rear seats on the RS rock. Rear passengers can adjust the tilt on the rear seats, and it can fold down and carry tons of shit.

I ended up getting the Yaris RS. The price was right... I paid a few bucks over $20k after taxes and pretty much all options that I needed including that sweet ass pimpin' bike rack.

First thing you should do is to replace the shitty stock seats tho so you don't feel like you're driving a minivan. I've had 5 ppl in the car, big guys too, and we can get around town comfy. I've moved shit with the rears folded down, and it's amazing how much it can hold. The front cup holders rock, I can have my timmy's there, take a corner hard, and no spillage lol.

Plus there's an insane amount of rice and go parts for the Yaris, maybe more so than the Fit. I'm 1/2 way done ricing mine up .

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

As for the comments about the Yaris being a shitty car to drive, I've been driving it WAY more than my E55. I like the car that much. I think I've only put 300km on the E55 since I bought the Yaris. Then again, mine's lowered, wider tires, and has the tanabe strut bar and a TRD sway bar installed, so maybe it just handles good cuz of the mods.

Car's going to go to my bro when he gets his license next month, so I dunno if I could give it up or not.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh ya, the government is giving me $1000 for buying the Yaris cuz it's fuel efficient, more mod money! lol

I drive my Yaris hard, and still get 525km on a $38 tank of gas. Saves so much $, using for more mods!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TSX

how bout considering a 2008 mitsubishi lancer?

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Rage, you forgot to comment on the exceptional faux carbon fiber finish. I think that would sell anyone .

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    -Yaris blows. Ridiculously shitty interior, looks stupid, and the worst part is that it drives like a tall piece of poop on 4 wheels.
    What did you find wrong with the interior? Everyone that's been in the car loves the interior cuz everything is so well laid out. Sure it's plasticy, but I mean for a super cheap ass car, what were u expecting?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by eur0
    Rage, you forgot to comment on the exceptional faux carbon fiber finish. I think that would sell anyone .
    haha, ya I didn't think that a $360 option would look that stupid. Kinda regret getting that one haha.

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    Well we looked at a couple of cars after work. First went to honda, liked the fit its actually a pretty fun little car. I have to agree with everyone else on here and say that the civic looks great from the outside, but once you sit in it it feels all wrong. The gauges are screwed and things just seem to be in the wrong place.

Looked at the Rabbit next and she fell in love. It is a nice car, the fit and finish is better than the Civic (how it will hold up long term I dunno). Felt like a much nicer car, very German. She is already sold, but I would still ike her to look at the Mazda 3.

I would agree with y'all and say the 3 is played out, but she doesn't notice that everyone and their mother drives one, if she likes it she doesn't care.
    I dont know if it's just me but looking at the Rabbit from behind reminds me of a boat. I love the overall styling of the car but when I follow one I always look at the bottom bumper, just seems so overly round haha. What were her comments on the Fit?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by rage2

Car's going to go to my bro when he gets his license next month, so I dunno if I could give it up or not.
    im sure he wouldnt midn the E55

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast