Quantcast
Job hunting is hard! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Job hunting is hard!

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default Job hunting is hard!

Been on the go all day...my head hurts.
    Find A job ain't so hard, finding one that fits is a lot tougher!

Just thought I'd pass that along.

yup I agree 100%
    ppl. say how Calgary is in a boom etc. but it is the kind of jobs that are available.

finding a job isn't hard at all, its finding a job you are willing to work that is, you are probably too picky.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Not really. I was in the same situation as the OP. All you hear about is how their are tons of jobs availible, but the majority of them are the entry level jobs no one wants.

So yeah if your willing to work in fast food, entry level labor, custodial, etc, then there is a lot. If you want an actual job that might lead somewhere, its about the same as its always been.

I disagree. Tons of entry positions in actual firms where you can move up.

has no one looked on monster.com?

theres tons of jobs, if you need to work, just find something for now, and continue looking, no shame in the game playa

My Ride
    ////M

If you think its bad now, if we have a warm winter in AB and BC then it will be even harder to find a job with the O+G companies
    Last edited by Euro_Trash; 08-23-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    RSX Type-S, 335i Coupe

You can't expect to start at an executive level unless you have some experience and education behind you. You have to start somewhere and its usually entry level positions unless you know someone high up that can help give your career a push.

This guy has pulled his weight, jumped through hoops and has been working for the past few decades.

He's looking for a specific line of work that he's been doing for years now. The reason as to why he needs to look for a new job is outside of his control. Just some background for those who are acting like he's some 18 year old looking for a $50/h job that isn't rigs with no work experience.

Note to the OP: Also, is there any way you can go crawling back to your old old boss and ask for your old job back?
    Last edited by Amysicle; 08-23-2007 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Hear hear, when I was looking for a grad job in engg this year I had a reasonably hard time doing so (not the hardest, not the easiest). But from how everyone talked to me, it seemed like I could walk in wherever I wanted, pull my pants down, and demand a job with a signing bonus for pulling my pants down. It wasn't like that at all, response rate was decent but it wasn't great especially from the big O+G companies. Then there was the interview process (not too great at those) so it took even longer after that.

^well said
    and the media also give the impression that it is that easy to get a decent job, it isn't...thats life I guess.

all the best in your search man.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by Amysicle
    This guy has pulled his weight, jumped through hoops and has been working for the past few decades.

He's looking for a specific line of work that he's been doing for years now. The reason as to why he needs to look for a new job is outside of his control. Just some background for those who are acting like he's some 18 year old looking for a $50/h job that isn't rigs with no work experience.

Note to the OP: Also, is there any way you can go crawling back to your old old boss and ask for your old job back?
    You either know me or your psychic.
    I have actually got a couple opportunities. Nothing to be excited about. I think I will take one and just wait to see how the O&G sector plays out. Maybe a year from now things will swing back around and there'll be plenty of small vessels again.( that's my forte)

Nada on the old boss...too much stress!

No, I just remembered a post of yours on here a few weeks back. Sorry I don't have any suggestions or know of any opportunities. Good luck on the job hunt!

as much as it sucks be thankful your in the richest job market in the country.. And hold out for what you want.. I was in the same boat the end of last yr, and was 2 months waiting on what I wanted...

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by old&slow

You either know me or your psychic.
    I have actually got a couple opportunities. Nothing to be excited about. I think I will take one and just wait to see how the O&G sector plays out. Maybe a year from now things will swing back around and there'll be plenty of small vessels again.( that's my forte)

Nada on the old boss...too much stress!

What is your background? The company I work for at the moment has a variety of opportunities. PM me and I will forward you some info.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

the problem I've seen with candidates for jobs is that there expectations do not mean their qualifications. There are too many people out there that have never had to look for a job in a tough job market. They don't have the skills to find the job they want. Most people rely on ads and internet postings instead of finding a way to get face time with the company and postion they would like.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Hear hear, when I was looking for a grad job in engg this year I had a reasonably hard time doing so (not the hardest, not the easiest). But from how everyone talked to me, it seemed like I could walk in wherever I wanted, pull my pants down, and demand a job with a signing bonus for pulling my pants down. It wasn't like that at all, response rate was decent but it wasn't great especially from the big O+G companies. Then there was the interview process (not too great at those) so it took even longer after that.Report this post to a moderato
    Well, maybe if you didn't do the part with your pants down. I mean, that's kind of weird, isn't it? Do people usually do that?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Guys, the reason there are so many service jobs available is because all the people that used to work those jobs moved up to fill all the higher level jobs (due to shortages) and the reason there were shortages there is because those former workers moved up as well. It's not like there's suddenly double the amount of A&W's in Calgary, there really are more jobs across the board. It's just that there's nothing really below working fast food, so that gap isn't being filled like the other higher level jobs.

For you people that think finding a good job is tough right now...Pfft, it'd be a LOT tougher if the economy weren't doing so well.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Yeah I'm having a hell of a time finding a job as well. This "hot Calgary job market" seems kinda like BS in my opinion. I finished school in May in computer engineering, and been looking for a job till now and still haven't found anything. I probably applied to like 40+ different positions, and only had like 3 interviews. Got turned down for 2 of the 3 places, and still waiting for a reply with my last one.

I looked at a majority of the job postings on the unversity career website, jobbank.gc.ca, monster.ca, calgaryjobshop.ca, workoplois.com, and the apegga website, and seems like most places looking for engineers want like at least 3 years of experience, no one wants an entry level/new grad person. Can anyone else in engg relate to this?

Originally posted by V6-BoI
    Yeah I'm having a hell of a time finding a job as well. This "hot Calgary job market" seems kinda like BS in my opinion. I finished school in May in computer engineering, and been looking for a job till now and still haven't found anything.

Can anyone else in engg relate to this?
    What was your GPA like? I graduated in May as well except I was hired in February(Not the company I did my internship with)... I applied for ~10 jobs and got 7 interviews. I was employed before I even had proof of graduating or my iron ring. A lot of the people whom I know that didn't get a job in engg right off the bat missed the hiring frenzy during the end of winter/start of spring. Most of them wanted to take the summer off or go traveling. I will agree with you though the market is not nearly as hot as people like to say for new engg grads. It still does take time and patience to find a decent job. Of the people that I know in engg all but one is now hired. Most of them recently got a job this last month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast