Quantcast
camping in the windermere/columbia valley? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: camping in the windermere/columbia valley?

My Ride
    Lariat

Default camping in the windermere/columbia valley?

goin camping this coming weekend, looking for good spots, anyone know good places to go about a 3 hour drive, thinking places around winderemere, fairmont, or over down fernie area? possible links or phone numbers would be great!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    90Laser/eclipse

what are you looking for? family camping? partying?
    what kinda of activites would you like to do?
    i know a few nice places. but we need more info what your intrested in doing camping.
    also do you have a trailer or tent.
    do you want showers near by.

At Radium is a nice national campground called Redstreak. It has full hookups, showers, bathrooms. Its a bit pricier than most campgrounds though. I think around $35 - $40 a night but that does include all the wood you want to use. Its only about 2km from the Hot Springs and you can even walk to them. Also Redstreak is still in Kootney National Park so you have to have a parks pass to camp there. Where as if you go just a bit further you are out of the park and don't need a pass.

The place I usually go is called Dry Gulch provincial campground. Its about 5kms past Radium Hot Springs towards Invermere. You will see it on the left side of the highway. It has nice big private spots and is pretty cheap (around $20/night) and no park pass required. You have to pay for wood there though and there aren't showers or any hookups. Also its a small place (maybe 30 spots) so it might be full on the weekend. Redstreak has 200 or 300 hundred spots so you can probably get in there if Dry Gulch is full.

I don't really know of any nice campgrounds in Invermere/Windermere. Mostly just little private shitty ones. But from the ones I mentioned near Radium its only about 10 mins to Invermere and 20 to Windermere, if even that. Panorama is also a nice place to stay if you would rather stay in a hotel/resort type setting instead of camping. Right now rates are pretty cheap there, around $80/night for a room with 2 queen beds. They have nice pools and hottubs, golf course, tennis courts. As well as several restaurants and bars. You can even take you mountain bikes up the hill on the chairlift and do downhill riding. Also they run daily river rafting trips out of there as well. I stayed there for 3 nights last summer and it was a pretty good time for very little money.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 05-27-2007 at 10:09 PM.

My Ride
    09 hyundai accent hatch

spur valley campground is really nice my parents have a permanent lot there there are always fires and partys amazing new showers that are soo nice and a really nice golf course literally walking distance away. very beautiful.

http://www.spurvalley.com/camping.htm
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Lariat

well were gonna camp in tents, and its a group of people 20 and 21 years old , so more of a party weekend than anything
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ