Quantcast
What did YOU do to your prelude???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What did YOU do to your prelude????

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Default What did YOU do to your prelude????

I'm in need of suggestions from people that have done stuff already to their ludes... what's best, what was cheap...

Anyone have a vtec controller on their car?

Turbo? If so, where did you get it.. etc... etc.

My Ride
    92 Civic-t, 01 VW Golf TDI

vtec controllers are crap, shell out on a ready made kit from greddy or full race or something, those blocks dont like boost so building a kit would be hard, other than that, just bolt on a bunch of stuff

My Ride
    06 S2000

Vtec controllers won't give you any gains... All it does it change the crossover point... Which doesn't really have that many gains... you may gain an extra 2hp by lowering it enough, but it'll put extra stress on the engine if you do it enough... it's not worth the... what $150? buy a CAI or SRI for that kind of money... you'll at least hear a diff in sound.

as for mods... It's basically a I/H/E setup unless you want to go a little more hcore w/ a turbo setup... You could build the motor, but thats still more money and your probably looking for cheap...
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    CBR 929

+1 for the cold air intake, definitley makes it sound more beefy.

[url]

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

get a good header and a set of Type S cams. Tune and you'll be happy.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

I bought an injen cold air intake and it sounds great.

not too concerned about the money...

I've decided a turbo would be great... I've been looking online at some turbo kits... I'm thinking about going with a greddy kit. I know squat about turbos, so is this a decent kit? decent price?

http://www.modacar.com/products/Hond...s+for+Pre.html

Edit: Just noticed that "forced_eg" had already mentioned to go with a greddy kit.

Ps... thanks for the headsup about the vtec controller. The more research I do, I find there isn't much benefit really, just gonna potentially cause more probs.
    Last edited by Jlude; 06-04-2007 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by forced_eg
    vtec controllers are crap, shell out on a ready made kit from greddy or full race or something, those blocks dont like boost so building a kit would be hard, other than that, just bolt on a bunch of stuff
    Nice H-T post Vtec controler is a good tool IMO, you will gain more with more engine mods. My stock lude, I gained 22 peak TQ and 12 peak HP. It smooths out the power curve and adds more then 2hp definately. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks.

As for turboing the H-series. Its fine, its all in the tune. My friend has been running 10psi for the last few years no problems what so ever. The myth goes that anything above 7psi then kablamo.....

If you are going to boost, I'd suggest a full-race kit over the greddy. It is more expensive, but worth the extra money. The greddy kit is alright, but the turbo is too small and I doubt you'll be satisfied with the power it will make.
    Last edited by 1-Bar; 06-04-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    Vtec controllers won't give you any gains... All it does it change the crossover point... Which doesn't really have that many gains... you may gain an extra 2hp by lowering it enough, but it'll put extra stress on the engine if you do it enough... it's not worth the... what $150? buy a CAI or SRI for that kind of money... you'll at least hear a diff in sound.

...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Subaru GR

^I forgot to pick that apart. I would not change the vtec point unless you are on the dyno and find the proper cross-over, IIRC I had mine set to 5400rpms. Man that post was complete BS....
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    1987 200sx turbo t25g

do a custom turbo for it about 1500hun and she will fly!!!!

My Ride
    1996 Honda Prelude.

Before you go turbo you need to purchase a few essentials.
    Full Greddy Evo 2 or Apexi N1 Catback exhaust system

* DC Headers If you will keep it N/A *

Greddy Downpipe if you'll go turbo, and a cold air intake.
    Headers, exhaust, intake will make the prelude noticebly faster!.
    As far as turbo goes that would be the next step.

Personally I would go intake, headers, exhuast + Supercharger.
    Its easier to tune, easier to maintain, less finiky. And you'll have the heart of a naturally aspirated vehicle with the speed of a beast!!

Remeber its FWD So you can't get To much power or you'll have no traction to the ground, with a turbo when the spool up you'll lose traction allot more then if you had a supercharger.

That will take time off your Quarter mile * if your interested in that *
    Also if your planning on driving it in the winter, turbo would be tuff, supercharger would add ease with your driving.

Get this * Exactly as I say and you'll be happy *
    DC headers, Apexi N1 Catback exhaust,
    AEM cold air intake

Jackson racing supercharger

Your looking around 8 thousand all in, you'll have a 300BHP beast with reliability on stock internals
    or, if you increase boost 350 hp beast * pushing the limits of the stock H22A*

Hope this helps.

My Ride

full race kit? can you explain?

My Ride

that certainly does help! Thanks.

I'll do the research on all the stuff you've mentioned.

This is gonna be a summer car for me...

I think I'll go with a full exhaust before anything else... I've got an injen cold air intake but I'm gonna get the full exhaust for it.

Can i order that stuff locally for a decent price? or am I better off ordering online?

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

Originally posted by Jlude
    full race kit? can you explain?

The companies names Full-Race

Edit: Didn't see a prelude kit on there...

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/ind...3cc384acf3ab8d
    Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by GGTTSS-44
    Before you go turbo you need to purchase a few essentials.
    Full Greddy Evo 2 or Apexi N1 Catback exhaust system

* DC Headers If you will keep it N/A *

Greddy Downpipe if you'll go turbo, and a cold air intake.
    Headers, exhaust, intake will make the prelude noticebly faster!.
    As far as turbo goes that would be the next step.

Personally I would go intake, headers, exhuast + Supercharger.
    Its easier to tune, easier to maintain, less finiky. And you'll have the heart of a naturally aspirated vehicle with the speed of a beast!!

Remeber its FWD So you can't get To much power or you'll have no traction to the ground, with a turbo when the spool up you'll lose traction allot more then if you had a supercharger.

That will take time off your Quarter mile * if your interested in that *
    Also if your planning on driving it in the winter, turbo would be tuff, supercharger would add ease with your driving.

Get this * Exactly as I say and you'll be happy *
    DC headers, Apexi N1 Catback exhaust,
    AEM cold air intake

Jackson racing supercharger

Your looking around 8 thousand all in, you'll have a 300BHP beast with reliability on stock internals
    or, if you increase boost 350 hp beast * pushing the limits of the stock H22A*

Hope this helps.

Ok class let's dissect this post as well shall we??

1. Why only those two exhausts?? There is a myriad of choices now but you say he HAS to go Greddy or Apexi?? The same goes with header choices...Why only DC??...there are tons of great products out there for the H22...trust me I have and am using a fair bit of them in my Civic.

2. Any sort of forced induction is "finicky". All of them, NOS, and Turbo's included need tuning. And having spent a lilttle bit of time on the dyno, and having friends with all three (N/A, Turbo or S/C) tuning is tuning. They all had to be tuned for low cam and high cam. What is "finicky" about that??

3. Too much power?? I agree with that post...SOMEWHAT...I mean there are a ton of aids to help traction. LSD's, bushings, Traction bars...so meh...just use your power wisely. 1-Bar mentioned a friend who is running around in a boosted Lude. He is on these boards, but away on another continent so I doubt he will post. BUT, this friend and many on here can vouch has a great deal of power and dailies the car for the most part...More power just means more fun.

4. How would more linear power help in winter driving??...The S/C is ALWAYS spinning and is spinning faster the higher you rev your motor. So launching in show and in icy conditions would be harder than with a turbo. Cause with a turbo you can stay out of boost. Or do you not know how a turbo works relative to a S/C??

5. I personally have yet to see what the stock limits are on an H22...I mean no one in town has really hit the stock limits. All have either rebuilt out of sheer wanting more, or sold off projects before maxing things out. And I don't believe for a second words off of Honda Tech either. I need to see it to believe it...Unlike yourself who has essentially copied and pasted a H-T post onto beyond.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

so that greddy and apexi exhaust systems you mentioned... are they gonna be loud?

I would like to avoid the cheap crappy tire 50$ fart can sound...

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by TeamBestBud

The companies names Full-Race

Edit: Didn't see a prelude kit on there...

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/ind...3cc384acf3ab8d
    my badd, forgot they don't make a turbo kit for the H....Spoolin Performance has an equal length for the h-series

http://www.spoolinperformance.com/streetpower-p-50.html

I've personally had the Greddy Turbo Kit on my car, and from my experience, the kit doesn't produce that much power for the money you spend.

Although i was able to pick up the kit up cheap, i could have built my own kit for the same price.

The internal wastegate is set at 7 psi, i had it running like that for a whole summer. It was fun, but not fast enough for my liking.

I then decided to bump it up to 10 psi and had it tuned by rage with uberdata. Running 10psi was perfectly fine with proper tuning, but the turbo was maxing out due to its size.

Just recently, i parted out the turbo kit and built my own and i only had to throw in an extra $300, which in my mind is sweet. $300 more for a better upgrade.

Seeing by your posts, if your not to experienced with this whole turbo thing, i would HIGHLY recommend more research, or get the greddy kit and call it a day. It does come with a piggyback system, but its limited.

My Ride

maybe I'll do that... get the greddy kit, run that for a while, get used to having a turbo.

gotta start somewhere... if I'm pushing 7 psi, that'll make my car significantly faster right?

well by your comments im assuming none of the work is going to be done by yourself.

Best bet is to take it to a shop and just have them do it all for you. The revhard kit isnt bad either. Comes complete. Although
    ill always recommend fuel management. Either uberdata or Hondata and lots of tuning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast