Quantcast
just venting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just venting

My Ride
    Corvette

Default just venting

ok...im just venting on stupid people.....today i had this dude in a mit. galant trying to tell me he could run with my car.....he said he had a exhaust (a tip), a intake (a factory airbox with a k&n filter and the top removed), bored 30 over, and 100 shot of nos......people like this....give car people bad reps........

post your recent bs's
    Wow! Your import makes 100hp/liter! Good thing I have so many more liters.
    "Yeh Though I Walk Through The Valley Of Rice, I Shall Fear No Turbo....For Torque Art With Me"

My Ride
    '87 RX-7 Tii

Welcome to the world of wanna-be ricers, man. Sounds like it's gonna be another re-hashing of the "Post your stupid driver stories" thread a while back. Stupid drivers are out en mass like the plague. Thankfully my little civic only attracts Golfs and Hyundai's (sp?) and very few family cars. A Mitsu Galant? Might as well come on you with a Buick Century.
    "Well here's the problem. Some koot put an Acura engine in your Honda."

My Ride
    Corvette

that was my friend who posted that thread...didnt know he posted one about this guy also....this was a recent encounter tho.....i dunno whats up with some people....
    "Yeh Though I Walk Through The Valley Of Rice, I Shall Fear No Turbo....For Torque Art With Me"

JJLuke Guest

Gotta be careful though, if it is a GVR-4 with BPU it is easily a 14-second car as it has the 4g63 turbo engine like the DSM's.

That is, unless you have more inside your engine than stock, then we're talking a different ballgame

JJLuke Guest

regarding my last post, I mean 14 seconds at sea level.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by JJLuke
    Gotta be careful though, if it is a GVR-4 with BPU it is easily a 14-second car as it has the 4g63 turbo engine like the DSM's.

That is, unless you have more inside your engine than stock, then we're talking a different ballgame
    I'm pretty sure Canada will not get any hi-po Galants....At least not for awhile

My Ride
    A Hobo

i think the best bs i see often is the ...

"my car runs 15's in calgary, so that's really a 14 in florida" ..

yes, there is a method to calibrate the estimated difference in 1/4 mile times SAE .. but not only would u need simple information regarding your atmospheric pressure and engine displacement, etc ... u will need to know how you're computer inturprets the maf readings and what it does with the air/fuel mixture ..

anyways, so yah .. subracting a second from your time in calgary does _not_ mean that's exactly what u run in florida :P .. so just give it up and accept your time .

secondly, i really dislike rice math and discussing "bolt on" "mods" .. i also dislike the word "mod" when referring to the engine ..

rice math is incredibly annoying .. if someone says "how much hp does your car have with all those 'mods'" .. well? what do i say" unless it's been on the dyno recently, i have no idea if we had changed something . u can't rice-timate with answers like "oh that new intake will give me 10 hp" ..

10hp? what the heck does that mean? so throughout the entire rpm range u added an accumulated total of 10 hp?? or u have a maximum increase of 10 hp on one or more points of your rpm range .

oh and while we're on the whole "how much hp do u have" discussion . that annoys the hell out of me too .. anyone who exercises will understand this .. if you walk into a weight room, or a sport game and you jump all energy at the event . u'll die out fast and be useless for the rest of the time ..

so what does that have to do with hp and proper tunning .. sometimes u'll see tuners take peak hp cuts to extend the powerband range . -or- modify the gear ratios in the transmission to compliment the power curve .

when someone says "you're svt focus only has 170 hp stock, u can't beat my 190 hp _____" .. that's not valid . the 170 hp stock svt focus has a table top of pure power from 5,800 to 7,300 rpm . thanx to the dual stage intake allowing it to keep a longer consistent powerband .. so shifts keep you in the power band, unlike the power "hump" u see on most dyno graphs .

tuning is more then how much power u can get out of your engine . it's how you position and use that power .

imagine having a vehicle that from 3,000 to 7,000 u had 170 hp .. u could blow away cars with 225-250 hp without trying . you'd always be in the power band and you're engine would be performing at it's optimal potential without trying .

oh boy . i have so many other issues with ppl . now remember though, i'm not saying these questions are ignorant or ppl are dumb . i'm saying i wish more ppl would take the time to READ and LEARN .. it would really help ppl who do know have more to talk about with you ..

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I agree with you on everything, except the refference to rice in this matter...Although it is prevelent on this board...the "adding" of HP or "mods" adding 10 hp has been occuring for at least 40 years in the land of domestics...us ricers had to of learned it from somewhere.

please disregard if you are reffering to rice as domestic and import...other than that I think you hit the nail on the head.

My Ride
    A Hobo

sveye: i'm not referring to rice as a domestic or import . the definition should be globally clarified by now . it's ridiculous for me to have to state this but: yes, swapping/adding bolt-on parts should/can/will/meh add performance ..

-however-

it's impossible to jump to conclusions of what you're new max "horse power" is . you're engine is a complex machine consisting of hundres of parts working in unity . changing/adjusting/modifying one of those parts changes how every other part interacts .

so jumping to a conclusion of "i should have 10 more hp from this intake" is ridiculous . that's what i refer to "rice math" .

i have met many ppl who have vehicles with "intake and exhaust" . and always say "yah, those 2 changes should give me at least 20 hp" .. what grounds do u have for that statement? a webpage? a internet forum? c'mon . pay the $50 and dyno your car .. becuase it's YOUR car, not anyone elses . so you have no idea how much gain (if any) you got from an intake .

guessing is considered to be "rice math"

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

yah...I agree with you...I guess my referrence to rice was more defence of imports ONLY doing it...but as you stated rice is a more universal term now...

my car "should" have 230 HP...I'll believe that when pigs fly
    Last edited by syeve; 06-16-2003 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    A Hobo

haha yah ..

i sometimes write long explanations of what i'm saying to be direct and prevent flamers who are only here to argue :P ..

otherwise i don't write anything at all

my car has 1 millllion horse power but 2 ft/lbs or torque :P

JJLuke Guest

cocoabrava,

yeah i hear ya... but i tell ya the GVR4 is a good sleeper car... slap on a 20G, MBC, FMIC, 660cc's, a nice walbro, turboback, SAFC and intake and you have a sedan capable of turning faster quarters than supercars.

atomic,

About the rice, what's worse though besides the 37HP intake claims are the people who THINK their body "bolt ons" (ie. spoilers, decals, lights) add horsepower. Furious yes, not fast. AND ON TOP OF THAT, the fact that good automotive shops like Mopac and even retailers like WalMart and Canadian Tire have aisles dedicated to rice, or as me and my buddies call domestic rice, wheat.

But what's ironic is that tasteful rice sells, as girls like it (although it is changing these days) and I remember the day I had my riced out Accord and sold it for thousands and thousands more than it was worth. BUT THEN AGAIN, I've learned since because of the unwanted attention from cops. Nowadays I drive around modded but looking like a stock car. On a subjective analysis today, I believe that any rice whatsoever is not worth it.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

its all about power to weight ratio. ::

14.1lb/hp
    Travel

My Ride
    A Hobo

JJLuke: that's funny shit .. wheat .. ha . i lol'd a few times ..

yah, the spoiler situation is getting out of control .. what scares me the most is seeing one of these giant wing'd rice rockets flying down highway #2 bouncing off the speed limiter @ 180 km/hr .. all i can picture is some kid screwing his wing on, adjusting it so it looks "fast" and taking it for a spin .

the issue i have is the areodynamics of most cars don't direct enough air to be used properly . and without proper fluid dynamics, you can't "eye ball" a wing degree grade . it'll be pointing either too high or low causing a lift or push ..

so when you see one of these cars cruizing down the highway real fast .. stay out of his way . it's a death trap waiting for a gust of wind to throw off the road .

JJLuke Guest

atomic,

Hey man, don't diss the shopping cart handle!!! Or are they burger trays? Anyways, I'm being led to believe more and more that some of these guys are using their cars for "alternate" purposes:

All they need is lowering springs, a fart pipe muffler (ie. 1.5" inlet, 7.5" tip), the aluminum wing for the handle and a really low fit shogun body kit for the front bumper. Then all they need to do is get some spinning blades stuck in the grille areas (because it's not like they had anything else to put in there to begin with LMAO) and VOILA - five speed LAWNMOWER.

And those aluminum wings... aren't they are getting cheaper and cheaper? When I riced cars, I used to get the ones fabricated like the BMW M3, entirely made of plastic. Now they are being made out of scrap metal... I figure Home Depot should jump on the bandwagon on these, cuz they carry a LOT of sheet metal. I bought a sheet the other day for $4!!!

one time my friends went to a 403honda meet i think. back then when it was at signal hill.

an old class mate in junior high was there with his friend and was standing beside a civic hatchback.
    they asked what he has done to the engine and he replied that he has a spoon engine and an intake.
    they didnt believe him so they asked if they can see whats under the hood.
    he poped the hood and what they saw was a stock honda engine and no aftermarket intake.
    they asked "wheres the intake?"
    and he replied "its in the engine"

My Ride
    Corvette

well....yea...like i said tho....anyone with a sleeper would atleast have a intake....not a butchered factory airbox with a bungy cord.....and....wouldnt claim a chip put them at 280 hp...

My Ride
    '87 RX-7 Tii

Aw man... so you're telling me my Hello Kitty decal isn't gainin' me any horses? Aw damnit, and that's the reason I bought it too.

But seriously, things like intakes, mufflers/catbacks (not those retarted screw on WalMart tips) and whatnot are more helpful to a car in the aspiration department than the horsepower department. Sure, they may add 10-15 somewhere along the lines, but if they did it goes to show you how bad the setup is in the car to begin with. And not like you're gonna be drivin' down the road goin "Yeah baby, I can SO feel that extra 10 kickin' in!" And horsepower in the engine is never the same as the horsepower at the wheels, and blah blah blah. It's basic stuff everyone should know
    "Well here's the problem. Some koot put an Acura engine in your Honda."

My Ride
    Porsche 944 Turbo

I thought it might be a VR4 Galant, so I asked the guy, and it went something like this:

Me: Is it a VR4?
    Guy: what?
    Me: Is the motor a 4G63? Like in the turbo Eclipses?
    Guy: No this isn't an eclipse, its a galant.
    1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

No Dyno Sheet yet but I hope to make 400RWHP @24 PSI

My Ride
    Corvette

well...in the frame of exhaust....i think exhaust helped my car out alot.....before i put a full exhaust on my car it had dual 1.2" piping all the way back.....so when people say u cant feel the difference in exhaust....ur wrong with my car.....main reason is exhaust is the main limiting factor of the 79 vettes.....well...that and engine.....good thing i replaced both

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast