Quantcast
dont laugh... scooter! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: dont laugh... scooter!

only need a class 7 license (learners)
    need plates and insurance
    insurance is $65 bucks a year haha... and gas is like 2 dollars a week.

more beer money!

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

damn i want one.
    i guess when i move to cochrane ill get one. way cheaper and i can keep up with the traffic there lol

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

damn nice, cheap insurance and gas too!
    scooters arent highway legal though right? so its only for short local trips..
    how fast does the gearing on the scooter allow you to theoretically go?

max
    240 ka-t

changing the variator and whatnot allow a higher top speed, but I'm not sure what the theoretical stock top speed is. I can get it to about 70 on a flat, and 90 down a hill, but when I change my parts I should be able to do over 90 on flats easy (plus it'll be a wheelie machine :P )

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

I am looking for a scooter too.
    Could you guys tell me
    1) what brand of scooter is good (reliability, performance)
    2) how much does one cost?
    3) where in town can I find brand new scooters (other than Bow Cycle which Method mentioned about)

Thanks

blackfoot sells a few, I think that revoluzione place does, there's probably a few others if you pulled out the phone book.

prices are like 2300 up to 4000+

all the honda scooters are 4 strokes, so they're a little easier to maintain, the yamahas are 2 stroke mineralli engines, so they have more performance potential...

other bikes are aprilias, and derbis, which are way more expensive because they're european scooters, but they're way sweeter (I just couldnt drop 4 grand on a damn scooter)

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Scooters are so fun! I have a real bike too, and like to ride scooters once in a while.
    Come visit our new shop!

My Ride
    MTA

Scooters are so much fun!! I rented those things in Spain last year to get around the town. Everyone in Europe rides them. In Spain, we would drive between the cars, on the side walks, opposite way of the street. No real traffic laws there! So much fun.

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

"only need a class 7 license (learners)
    need plates and insurance
    insurance is $65 bucks a year haha... and gas is like 2 dollars a week.

more beer money!"

Sorry to drag up an old post, but being that Method has finally acquired his go-goodies, and I am seriously considering a scooter, (I would never in my life, 10 years ago when I rode a fat HD FLH around Winnipeg, ever dreamed that I would ever actually be coveting a...scooter)

Being a Ducati rider, I like the esoterica of European rides like the Derbi and Aprilia, however your point about this being a fun to cash savings measure probably makes the Euroskoot an unsound economic choice...maybe.

I await the details of your hop up, Method.

Tell me about the drill of owning, maintaining and riding the 2 stroke BW. Is it oil injection via a separate reservoir?

I am planning a restoration of two old sixties vintage 2 strokes, and have absolutely nothing against fizzies.
    Point well taken about them being quicker and more fun to ride.

yeah it's oil injected with a separate reservoir, when I switch to 70cc I have to run fully synthetic (I'm not at the moment).

I've had the thing for one riding season, and I've had no maintenance on it yet, just little bits like checking the plug read and stuff.

If I had the money, I would have been going after an aprilia SR50 ditech or a derbi predator... but at that price, I'm going straight to a restored Lambretta when I can afford it (just have to get off my lazy ass and get my class 6)

I'll have the parts on soon, and let it run with throttle variation for the break-in, but I'll still have to wait till it warms up to actually test it out.

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

Keep us informed. What will it cost for a shop to do it? If you tear it down yourself, what was involved, and what specialized tools were needed?. What real-world imprevements were felt?

It sounds odd that you have to use synth right from the get-go after a rebuild. I have always used dinosaur juice after a new set of rings, just so they seat better, then switch to synth or semi-synth after 10K.

A nice restored sixties vintage P200 Vespa would be in my garage if I had my way. Preferrably, silver & white like the one in Quadrophenia.

here in michigan i have the fastest honda elite
    50cc soon moving to 85cc it will do 80mph with ease right now i have an upgraded exaust (technis rs) koso speed pulley and racing coil right now i get close to 1 mph per cc also have neon underbody strobes alarm system heat tach when i build it the rest of the way it should burn most civics (stock) off the line and down the road a little ways
    and also you can get some mopeds to reach 100+mph

Originally posted by spiceboy
    I am looking for a scooter too.
    Could you guys tell me
    1) what brand of scooter is good (reliability, performance)
    2) how much does one cost?
    3) where in town can I find brand new scooters (other than Bow Cycle which Method mentioned about)

Thanks
    1990-1999 honda elite

used 100-1000 usd
    new 1500-2000 usd
    honda elite in my oppinon is the best scooter stock it will do 35mph (when you remove the pully limiter) reacts very nicely to performace mods

My Ride
    87gmc4x4

I'd buy a scooter, just for fun and put nos stickers all over it and it would trip people out

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

There are two levels of motorcycle/moped licenses in Alberta:

Class 7 License (Learner's)

Class 7 license holders are permitted to drive a motorcycle or a moped and all motor vehicles under Alberta's License Class 5, for learning purposes only. Class 5 is the two axle single non-commercial, non-motorcycle motor vehicle class. The minimum learning or licensing age for motorcyclists is 16. The minimum age for moped riders is 14.

Requirements for a Class 7 license include successfully completing a written test and vision screening.

Class 6 License (Full Priviledges)

Class 6 license holders are permitted to drive a moped, a motorcycle or any motor vehicle referred to in the Class 5 category, as a learner only, if the operator is at least 16 years of age. The minimum licensing age is 14 for moped riders and 16 for motorcycle riders.

Requirements for a Class 6 license are successful completion of a written and a road test. The road test must be taken on a motorcycle without sidecar.
    Last edited by t3rry; 02-19-2004 at 05:32 PM.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

Originally posted by Ducati
    It sounds odd that you have to use synth right from the get-go after a rebuild. I have always used dinosaur juice after a new set of rings, just so they seat better, then switch to synth or semi-synth after 10K.

With todays nikasil cylinders/coated rings and piston skirts synthetic is what is used to break in. with old steal sleeve's no question crushed dino is the way to go, however the evolution in technology brings ease of use a step foward. the absolute best oil to use is motul Grand Prix 2T.

My Ride
    Denali

that thing is so cool, i think it would be a lot of fun!

My Ride
    Acura RSX

ya bring it onto the Deerfoot, lmao.... just watch out for all vechicles of any size, shape or form.... hmm thinking of it dat might be kinda fun, but only when its like 2 in the morning when not even the ghosts are around

My Ride
    2005 STI Borg Warner turbo, Widebody

my thought would be just get a pocket bike. Or if you need something street legal then get a REAL bike that's worth the same price.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Hey its not that bid, it looks like hella fun and you wouldn't end up dead in 2 months like on a ricerocket
    Autosignature

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast