Quantcast
ITR burning above average oil? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ITR burning above average oil?

My Ride
    Integra Type R

Default ITR burning above average oil?

I know there aren't a lot of ITR owners on the board , but...have any of you with a VTEC honda/acura noticed that your engine oil levels seems to drop faster then normal (im talking like you need to refill your oil about 3L refill at about 2500KM after an oil change?). I've noticed that about 4 times since I've own my car... cuz when I had my Civic Si coupe I drove it hard but I never had to refill my oil THAT often. I talked to Mr. LudeLvr and he says it has something to do with the VTEC engagement and that VTEC depends a lot on oil pressure which is true because when the oil is low in the car... when I hit VTEC power is intermittent....weird.. any one with some intelligent thoughts please explain!! Redline where are you??

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Hmmm... I heard that the ITRs were supposed to burn a bit of oil, due to the high compression and high revving VTEC nature of the car.
    omgwtfbbq

I don't think it is anything to worry about. High compression engines are known to eat a little oil. For a definitive answer, call up the service manager at Silverhill and see what he has to say.

What kind of oil are you running? Normal/Synthetic and weight?

You know what, I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil. I have never had to top up my oil or anything. I check my oil level every time I get gas and it is always full. The only time my car sees new oil is during an oil change.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

ITR's use oil, I think its in the owners manual
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by B18C
    You know what, I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil. I have never had to top up my oil or anything. I check my oil level every time I get gas and it is always full. The only time my car sees new oil is during an oil change.
    That because you RARELY ever actually DRIVE your car! the only time It would actually burn more oil than normal is when Gavin drives it! he has to drive it so hard to make up for how much you baby it!

Originally posted by B18C
    Maybe your oil gauge is broken?

I don't know anything specific about your ITR motor but here is a generic explination and possible answer. First off did you check for leaks? After you have been parked over night is there any oil on the ground as you drive away? If it's not leaking then here are the two possible problems. Oil can only get into the engine 2 ways. Through the valve guides (intake side mostly) and by the rings. Every engine burns oil for the simple reason that oil is used to seal the rings against the cylinder wall. Obviously the oil that is along the cylinder wall is going to get burned during the combustion process so this little bit of oil can add up over time. If the rings are excessively worn then more oil is burned because more oil can get past them and into the chamber. Excessive consumption is of the order of 1 quart for every 1000 miles, or ~1 liter for every ~1600K. If your using 3L for every 2500K it sounds like you may have a problem. I would take your car in for a leak down test (better then a compression test) right away and that will tell you if you have bad rings or valve guides.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

raptor I believe I know what the problem is..pm me.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

well it can be a number of things when all the experts or done i can tell you what to look at. or just Pm me.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    raptor I believe I know what the problem is..pm me.
    Originally posted by redline
    well it can be a number of things when all the experts or done i can tell you what to look at. or just Pm me.
    It must be one of those big Honda secrets that they don't want you to know about... lol
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

It must be one of those big Honda secrets that they don't want you to know about... lol
    you brought up some good points but there is a little more to the answer then what you posted for any modern engine. ( and some of the answer can be a problem with DOHC VTEC engines)

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

ok i got some time to kill....

First question i have: Do you have any blueish smoke coming out of the tail pipe? (first sign that you are burning oil in the combustion camber)

2) Have you spent alot of time near redline and under high load? (since DOHC VTEC engine have oil squrters (as do turbo and other high reving n/a engines) these engines all tend to use oil with hard use. I have never got, what i feel to be a sastisfactory answer to this but since they ALL do it, it is some what excepted)

3) If you drive the car easy do you still burn oil? ( a good sign that you need to look at other places other then driving habits)

4) Have you replaced the PVC canister on the back of the engine? ( i have seen a lot of these fail on DOHC VTEC engines and is a easy / cheap fix. When this fails it lets oil into the intake track.)

5) If you have done this do you still burn oil? (well?)

6) Now do a compression and leak down test! ( I am not a big fan of these tests cause generally they only tell you if you have a big hole in something. And will not generally tell you that your engine is weakening. There is a lot of variables that effect the results and people rely on these test too much. In a compression test you need consistancy between cyclinders more then anything else.

7) If the numbers are really bad pull the head and have a look!

8) if the numbers are good and you still burn oil! Ask yourself is it a big problem? No - then buy cheap oil ! If yes then pull the head!

I can see the PVC 'catch can' causing oil loss but 3 liters over 2500K? Thats quite a bit of oil to lose through it, even taking into consideration normal losses. Also clogged PVC's make the motor idle rough if I can remember correctly, and raptor never mentioned that. Like I said before tho I've never owned a type r, or a vtec motor for that matter, so my advice was fairly genaric. However, I don't see anything special about a vtec equiped motor that would, under normal conditions, cause that much oil loss. Raptor said he has had this happen 4 times since he bought the car but he didn't say that it has happened the last 4 times he changed his oil, so maybe it does have something to do with his driving style immediatly following an oil change, since it's not a regular thing. One more question I do have tho is are you accounting for the oil in the filter? Usually they only hold about 250mL or so but you did say that this only happens after an oil change.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

i have seen it use that much oil throu the PVC

My Ride
    07 E92 335i

Raptor buddy,
    When do you wanna hook up and head down to Secret Street?
    I've shaved off a few more pounds so I'm hoping it will help!!

Voodoo Child
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Integra Type R

Originally posted by E36M3
    I don't think it is anything to worry about. High compression engines are known to eat a little oil. For a definitive answer, call up the service manager at Silverhill and see what he has to say.

What kind of oil are you running? Normal/Synthetic and weight?
    I did take it in to Silverhill to check just because I thought I had a leak (which I double and triple checked and I don't ), and he says that ITR burn a little more than average.. but I just thought that I was burning way more than average.. I'd just about every 2500-3000km I gotta refill her up.. but than again I drive it pretty hard ...haha.. all the time.. but I'd like if someone know to explain the theory behind it tho.. must learn..thanks

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

honda spec are 1L pre 1000km

what oil are you using?

Go get a a new pvc canister!!!

My Ride
    Integra Type R

ok i got some time to kill....

First question i have: Do you have any blueish smoke coming out of the tail pipe? (first sign that you are burning oil in the combustion camber)
    Not that I know of.. I can't really tell cuz I'm usually looking ahead for the next apex...LOL.. but seriously I don't think so...

2) Have you spent alot of time near redline and under high load? (since DOHC VTEC engine have oil squrters (as do turbo and other high reving n/a engines) these engines all tend to use oil with hard use. I have never got, what i feel to be a sastisfactory answer to this but since they ALL do it, it is some what excepted)

Uhmm.. lot of time around redline.. uhmm...yea.. most of the time.. like i said... i drive it pretty hard...

3) If you drive the car easy do you still burn oil? ( a good sign that you need to look at other places other then driving habits)

Actually come to think of it no not really, a couple of times I didn't have to actually refill between oil changes.. so i guess it could be my driving style...

4) Have you replaced the PVC canister on the back of the engine? ( i have seen a lot of these fail on DOHC VTEC engines and is a easy / cheap fix. When this fails it lets oil into the intake track.)

Ok dude, I dun even know what a PVC cannister looks like or where it is for that matter.. I could check.. how do i find it and check it?

My Ride
    Integra Type R

honda spec are 1L pre 1000km

what oil are you using?

Go get a a new pvc canister!!!
    I use Mobil 1 5W-30... suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast