Quantcast
Paint doesn't match - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Paint doesn't match

Default Paint doesn't match

How does a bodyshop paint something where the colour doesn't match?

I thought using the exact paint code would be bang-on unless the car is faded over the years. Or does it depend a lot on how it is applied?

I just got my hood repainted under warranty but they painted it the wrong colour. (looks good under sunlight but horrible at other angles).

They are repainting it but I hope I don't have to keep going back. Dealer won't let me take it anywhere else either.

My Ride
    UA6

i'm not sure, but i had my trim, door handles, etc painted to match the color of my car, which was a factory color. he bought the paint using the paint code off the car, and it turned out waay darker than the rest of the car. he mentioned something about a different "varient" on the color ot something. so i ended up getting it repainted again.

Sometimes mirrors will be a different shade even if its the same paintcode as the rest of the car because the material that the paint is being applied to is different.
    ---

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Paint will ALLWAYS appear diffrent on plastics, as for you hood, it is most likey the painter added a little too much of one color... .01 of a gram in a 1 oz can can change the shade quite a bit, or sometimes not at all..
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I noticed that when I park beside other yellow Nissans my color looks a lot richer and a deeper toned in comparison...
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    firebird

They have what are called alternate colors.

Depending on what factory it came out of, what year it was painted, how much fade due to the sun, a code matched paint will most likely not exactly match, and that is why they have 4 or more alternate colors.

When I went to go check on my car on saturday, he wanted me to pick out a color for the car. The one that he matched with the factory code was not even close. I ended up going with alternate number 2, as it looked to be the closest match.

We will see.... I am leaving right now to go pick it up.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802