Quantcast
RX7 Manages To Lose All 4 Wheels - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RX7 Manages To Lose All 4 Wheels

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    People must have very poor reading comprehension.

THE TIRE SHOP PROVIDED LUGS WITH THE WRONG THREAD TYPE!!
    You're saying that there's no possibility that someone at the tire shop did that intentionally?

Perhaps this guy was being a clown when he bought the setup.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

yes...some guy was like...I'm going to lose my job and get the company sued so I can prove that being an ass isn't nice
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

You're saying that there's no possibility that someone at the tire shop did that intentionally?

Perhaps this guy was being a clown when he bought the setup.
    Of course there is a possibility, but is it probable... no.

Is it likely that the shop was careless and recked a beautiful car... yes.

you guys are funny.
    I have had nightmares about all 4 of my wheels falling off while driving down deerfoot.

My Ride

Of course the wheels are going to fall off, eveyrone knows that rotaries are unreliable.

Originally posted by Crymson
    Of course the wheels are going to fall off, eveyrone knows that rotaries are unreliable.

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

If partsource gives me the wrong cv shaft, I don't try to put it on and go racing...

seems like it would have been preventable with some common sense from the shop or the guy.
    IS300 - 2JZ-GTE, DIY custom sequential 31psi at 2800rpms, yeehaw.

Damn those rotating wheels!

My Ride
    Horse

yeah anyone that cannot feel the difference in threads and thread pitch while installing something shouldnt be touching anything on a car anyway.

either way they woudl have went on hard isnce there is a huge difference between pitch sizes and none of them easily thread on.. maybe if it was a coarse metric and they gave him a standard but even then they would have wobbled around so bad putting them on and i don't think they coudl have ever been properly "torqued"

sad thing to see but the guy was owned by his own lack of mechanical knowledge.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Originally posted by MrSector9
    yeah anyone that cannot feel the difference in threads and thread pitch while installing something shouldnt be touching anything on a car anyway.

either way they woudl have went on hard isnce there is a huge difference between pitch sizes and none of them easily thread on.. maybe if it was a coarse metric and they gave him a standard but even then they would have wobbled around so bad putting them on and i don't think they coudl have ever been properly "torqued"

sad thing to see but the guy was owned by his own lack of mechanical knowledge.
    Most shops just put the lug nut on the impact gun and torque it on so they didn't feel the wrong nut going on the bolt

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Best post in this thread.

From a local forum:

Hello all,
    I was at the event and know the guy who owns the car. (No it wasn't me)
    I was in the paddock area next to him changing wheels at the same time as him. I watched him torque all of them. I even borrowed his torque wrench to tighten mine (I always forget something after I get on the road).

He went to a wheel/tire business and asked for spline drive lug nuts for his particular make/model/year car for the Enkeis, and that's what they gave him. He did not purchase the tires or wheels from them, just the lug nuts.

The lug nuts where sheared off the studs. Several members lifted a corner of the car to slide a jack underneath it. With a few more jacks, blocks of wood, etc, they were able to mount the stock wheels and stock lugs nuts (at least 3 per wheel) back on, torque them and drive the car off course. The design of the car, possilbly for aerodynamics, tucks all mechanicals on the underside a little higher than the body line, or lowest part of the brake rotors. Not even the exhaust was really scratched.

I'm not a mechanic, but the mechanics theories there was that the lug nuts where the incorrect size, but they were just small enough to grip the outer edge of the threads (as I mentioned, they torqued to 75-80 ft/lbs without complaint).

Hopefully, the only damage is to the body and brakes.

My Ride
    Horse

maybe the lug nuts were made to incorrect tolerances but there is no thread sizes/pitches that are that close together that you could screw it on (and not think anything was weird) and then torque them to 80 ft/lbs.

the closes you could get like that would be a coarse metric and then using an SAE lug nut.. but even then you would feel something completely wrong.

SPECIALLY on all 4 wheels.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    is Invisible

pretty insane!

im sorry shitty for the guy but fuckin funny all at once
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

shitty lug nut combo'd with some hella sticky tires = the result most likely

My Ride
    2007 Nissan Versa

Originally posted by CSMRX7

Me too. The car was very badly damaged, and is undrivable.
    Undrivable? I'm sure if he hit the gas, the brakes would spin.. he might be able to move a millimeter or so.

But yikes.. that was very cartoon-like. Shame to see that slam so hard into the ground. Hopefully the bulk of the damage was done to the brakes and body like that guy from the other forum said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2