Quantcast
Home Depot won't cut MDF? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot won't cut MDF?

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Home Depot won't cut MDF?

So i go to the Home Depot in Somerset by 22x to get some MDF and have it cut. Then I see big signs all over their (broken) saw: We Do Not Cut MDF.

since when? Is this common throughout the city? I'm going to hit Rona @ MacLeod and Southland tonight to see if they will.
    Tim

When I worked at RONA I cut MDF for people all the time - unless something's changed you should be able to. The only thing we wouldn't cut is Lucite because it fuckd up the saw.

My Ride

The guys at RONA in Signa hill are VERY good, if you go there, and they're not super busy they'll cut it up anyway you like it.

It wont be long before all those stores wont cut it. Its because of the dust. MDF dust is brutal. The glues and resin they use gives headaches, stuffs you up. Its a safety thing and they're just slowly realizing it. Work for a whole day cutting MDF without a dust mask and you'll know what I mean.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Those saws have vacuum dust collectors. Dust shouldn't be an issue.
    Tim

My Ride
    01 Impreza 2.5RS and 05 LGT

Originally posted by Maddog55
    It wont be long before all those stores wont cut it. Its because of the dust. MDF dust is brutal. The glues and resin they use gives headaches, stuffs you up. Its a safety thing and they're just slowly realizing it. Work for a whole day cutting MDF without a dust mask and you'll know what I mean.
    wouldn't it make more sense to just have the employees wear a dust mask?

[SIZE=4.5]AWD BURNOUT![/size]

Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

That costs money
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

it's probably not the employee's they're worried about. the saws are right out in their retail area, where any customer can walk past and have to inhale that shit.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Heh.. this makes me remember when I worked at HD. We'd get all these weekend warriors coming in and wanting all these cuts on all their wood. I told them that the wallsaw was not exactly a precision cutting machine, but they'd insist and still get pissed at me for not cutting it perfectly!

Some guys would buy a piece of good one side, and then want all these complicated cuts on it, like they were making a cabinet on the spot. I even had one dude hand me his blueprints and ask me to do all his cuts for him.

Then they'd get all mad when I said I'm charging them for the cuts themselves, and not guaranteeing they're perfectly accurate.

Generally I would cut wide for them, so they could tune it to their hearts content, but sometimes, if they were real pricks, I'd short them a bit.

Either way.. take your damn wood home and cut it yourself ya lazy bastage!

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Originally posted by Toms-SC

That costs money
    Bitter much? I know you wanna go back
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

most of the people working at home depot have probably never used a saw in their life...........

using the southpoint HD as an example......

Originally posted by codetrap
    Honestly, I've used HD's service before and they can cut extremely well in my opinion (With that huge wallsaw). Their cuts are much, much better than any average person with a circular saw.

Even if I had to pay a small amount for the cuts I would. That, and it's the only way to get plywood to fit inside a car

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

That's odd, I used to work at the 16th ave. North Hill location and we cut MDF all the time. Hell, we never even charged for cuts.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Heh.. this makes me remember when I worked at HD. We'd get all these weekend warriors coming in and wanting all these cuts on all their wood. I told them that the wallsaw was not exactly a precision cutting machine, but they'd insist and still get pissed at me for not cutting it perfectly!

Some guys would buy a piece of good one side, and then want all these complicated cuts on it, like they were making a cabinet on the spot. I even had one dude hand me his blueprints and ask me to do all his cuts for him.

Then they'd get all mad when I said I'm charging them for the cuts themselves, and not guaranteeing they're perfectly accurate.

Generally I would cut wide for them, so they could tune it to their hearts content, but sometimes, if they were real pricks, I'd short them a bit.

LOL. What a bunch of idiots......problably the same fools that pull up in their Excursions and Discoveries and try to load two pieces of 14ft baseboard on the roof. Good thing they bought a SUV - comes in handy for those Home Depot trips........

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

At RONA we guaranteed within 1/8 of an inch, and the first 4 cuts were free, $1/cut after that because otherwise we'd be tied up at the saw with 1 guy for an hour at a time with a million cuts. Our saw was pretty good and we had it calibrated regularly.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Toms-SC

That costs money

Originally posted by ninspeed

Bitter much? I know you wanna go back
    That's not being bitter, that's speaking the truth. I've seen it lots, you really can't argue.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2009 Forester

So the cut shop at the Rona at MacLeod and Southland is down because "people mistreat the saw and it breaks. it's a european saw, so the parts are probably on a freighter somewhere"

feels like the world is conspiring against me this week.
    Tim

Couldn't Agree more, Codetrap!! hear, hear!!
    I Can't stand those weekend warriors. I use HD or Rona at least 3 or 4 times a week. Then I'll forget and head in on a Saturday!....total nightmare!! I feel sorry for the workers and the questions and attitudes they must get.

And, yes, as for the dust vacuum, employees wearing masks..sure that MIGHT be a solution. But we're at the point where ppl are just LOOKING for lawsuits. WCB is breathing down employers neck about claims...general public bringing in thier two-year old baby with asthma, etc etc. Its just easier, safer and more cost-efficient to stop the cutting services on MDF.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by frozenrice

LOL. What a bunch of idiots......probably the same fools that pull up in their Excursions and Discoveries and try to load two pieces of 14ft baseboard on the roof. Good thing they bought a SUV - comes in handy for those Home Depot trips........
    At least they had SUV's. When I used to work there, this lady was basically building an entire deck and had at least 3 carts of material to be loaded into her car. After I rang it in she asked if it was okay if she left it by the lumber doors while she went to get her car. Minutes later she pulls up in an RSX.. 10 trips later she finally got all her stuff home

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast