Quantcast
Old People... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Old People...

My Ride
    BMW

Default Old People...

I don't know bout you guys. But id say all my close calls on the road have pretty much been invovled with old people. The gov, has gotta get after em man. Just yesterday I got cut off hardcore by some ancient guy in a Benz...

Nick

My Ride
    B7 RS4

I couldn't agree more. I was in a slight fender-bender with one of these "elderlies" a month ago in my old car. Here is what happened:

I was merging onto Glenmore Trail West from that road right behind Chinook Center (5th Street I believe). In front of me sat a car stopped in the merge lane so I had to stop behind him.

Once I was stopped I noticed that he had numerous chances to merge into the traffic, however his car was poised diagonally; ready to shoot across all 4 lanes so that he could get into the turning lane once he hit Elbow Drive (I assume).

I shook my head with mild annoyance and marvelled at this driver's lack of any balls whatsoever. I then noted that the driver looked rather elderly which might have explained the lack of his jacobs (they fall off when you're old, right?), but I digress.... his passenger, a woman well past her prime, was also scrunched down in her seat, watching for a gap in traffic.

Finally the driver began to move, only to stop again 3 inches from where he had been moments before. This kept on repeating, with me forced to mirror his every move. Then I saw him give a quick shoulder-check, whip his head forward as quick as his frail vertebrae would allow and his car lunged forward with everything it had.

I too gave a quick check over my shoulder, and noted that the first TWO lanes were completely void of any traffic. Bearing in mind that I had just witnessed the Oldsmobile take off like a bat out of hell, I toed my accelerator with vigor. As I swung my head back forward after finishing my shoulder-check, I noted that the Oldsmobile had once again come to a stop. Bugger.

I plowed up the Oldsmobile's ass going about 11km/h. I'm pretty sure that were my accident recorded on video, you could watch in slow motion to see that just as our bumpers made contact, I began unleashing a torrent of cuss words that would make the Icy Hot Stuntaz whince.

The other driver emerged from his Olds in a furious rage (or rather, as furious a rage as one can get when you stand 4' 11" and weigh 95lbs). But as soon as he saw how devastated I was, he regained his compsure and we exchanged information.

As I took his license and began recording his information, I couldn't help but notice that this bloke was born before the Second World War. 1918 to be precise. I was amazed that he could stand up unassisted, let alone pilot a motorcar.

Speaking of the motorcar, the damage incurred to mine was surprisingly minor. Sure it was expensive as hell to fix (that's German cars for you), but the damage amounted to no more than a crushed bumper and a bent fender.

The Olds on the other hand was in far worse shape. It's remarkable how my car, which was basically made of papier mache, could come out from a knock with a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta with surprisingly little damage. More remarkable still is how the aforementioned Delta - a gigantic iron monstrosity, that most likely served in the Gulf War, could look like its trunk was the target of an Atomic Bomb. Hiroshima had nothing on it.

Now I may be looking at a charge of "Driving with undue care and attention". Oddly enough, I dont see the other fellow being charged with "being a bumbling old idiot who can't merge". Life is funny.

Thank you and good day.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

my sis' first big accident ( $6800 damage on her car alone) was because of an 86 years old lady..

What ever happened to the law they were trying to pass?
    It would've required that elderly people take a driving test, just as young people are required to initially get a license.
    I don't think theres anything wrong with that at all, but a lot of older folks were claiming it was "ageism"...ammusing i must say.

this discussion comes up often.. my opinions have been civil until now, im just going to let my true feelings come out...

i think old people should be systematically slaughtered, ground up into multch and fed to alberta's cows...

IMO cows are more valuable than old people

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    BMW

Originally posted by Wildcat
    this discussion comes up often.. my opinions have been civil until now, im just going to let my true feelings come out...

i think old people should be systematically slaughtered, ground up into multch and fed to alberta's cows...

nick

My Ride
    Corvette

yea....i live in a town were old people from all over come to during winter.....u wana talk about scary? how about seeing a car driving down the road, but not seeing the driver because they are old and small......yea...i get to see that every winter....and as it shows...u cant see them and they cant see u.....ive been lucky, my cars power has gotten me outta many bad situations, but, luck never lasts
    Wow! Your import makes 100hp/liter! Good thing I have so many more liters.
    "Yeh Though I Walk Through The Valley Of Rice, I Shall Fear No Turbo....For Torque Art With Me"

My Ride
    99 Civic

Originally posted by Joe Malms

I don't think theres anything wrong with that at all, but a lot of older folks were claiming it was "ageism"...ammusing i must say.
    WHAT! Thats outragous, ageism?? thats bull%@^#! Statistics will show that elderly people are bad drivers.

My Ride
    A Hobo

haha ... funny replies guys ..

my speedometer computer is temporarily unhooked for some stuff .. so i'm driving back from the edmonton stratotech race on saturday .. i'm cruizing cruizing . not having a clue how fast i'm going .. but i'm driving with traffic ..

so i start to slowly pass ppl and notice they're all ancient .. so i knew right there i was only doing ~100 km/hr ..

so sure enough i speed up .. and i start approaching cars with ppl our age in them .. so now i know they're doing at least the speed limit :P

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by Wildcat

Another excellent post from Wildcat .Just where do you get this material ??? It's pure gold...

11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

my grandmother got in 5 accidents before they yanked her liscense......... my poor uncle had to fix her car each time too after the accidents. after the third accident I wouldnt have pounded out the dents I would have pounded her upside the head with a ballpean hammer =D j/k

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I find I have more close calls with young retards in riced out rides than I ever do from old people.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    I find I have more close calls with young retards in riced out rides than I ever do from old people.
    It's about 50/50 for me. Problem is, you can see the ricer a mile away and anticipate his idiotic 3-lane-no-signal-cut-move, however you can't spot the 90 year old geriatric until they've nearly sideswipped you and not even realized it!
    Last edited by B17a; 06-18-2003 at 07:39 AM.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    '87 RX-7 Tii

Old people have sucked at driving for years, but the bain of my existance is teenage girls. Hell, a teenage girl behind the wheel doing ANYTHING besides driving (ie, doing their makeup, brushing their hair, gaggling with their girlie friends etc.) is an accident waiting to happen. If there are tennage girl drivers on the list, you're most likely better drivers then 99% of the population, but a good portion of that population should never have been given drivers licenses in the first place. I was litterally run off the road by some teenage, Britney Spears wannabe too busy talkin' to her friends. She was swervin' through lanes and finally decided she needed to merge into my lane while she was pacing right beside me. When she finally forced me off the road, she just looked at me and her and her little gaggle of friends just laughed. I'm not one for road rage, but ya know, I draw the line at outright disrespect. I'm willing to forgive most anything except being a downright a%@hole on the roads. A little nod or wave and everything's all good, but when you go on and be a jerk about it, you're marked for life. So somewhere in cowtown, there's a little blue ford tempo I'm never gonna forget.
    "Well here's the problem. Some koot put an Acura engine in your Honda."

I have much more tolerance with old people then I do with peeps around my own age. something about being a bad driver cause you dont see so good anymore sits with me alittle better then being a bad driver cause your a cack hostlering sob.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Originally posted by Joe Malms
    What ever happened to the law they were trying to pass?
    It would've required that elderly people take a driving test, just as young people are required to initially get a license.
    Any politician who passes a law like that, can kiss thier political career good-bye. Think about it. About 50% of the voting population would be affected by that law. And you know, they'd take it out on the guy/gal who instituted that law to begin with.

As for the bane of my driving existance, soccer moms in oversized SUV house-on-wheels drivers. Talking on the cell, smacking the kids in the other room..oops..back seat, whatever. They feel "safer" driving a tank on the road, that's great. Too bad they don't use that safe feeling to actually pilot their behemoth in the right direction. Lane wandering, signaling after they've made the lane change. I actually had one woman start to merge over into my lane, right on top of me. So I honked my horn, she flipped me off, and then waved her hand at me, as if to tell me to get out of her way. That p!ssed me off, so I paced her, not letting her move over.........B!TCH.

Originally posted by fast95pony

Another excellent post from Wildcat .Just where do you get this material ??? It's pure gold...
    genius is never fully accepted at first

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    Probe

I've had to swerve, I've had to slam on my brakes I have even had to jump the curb because of old people. They won't look over and just lane change. They will sweep out when on a dual turn, go super slow and just really not give 2 shits about anything thats around them.

A long time ago back when I could'nt drive my buddies grandma would always take us everywhere. She would turn into on-coming traffic, go 50 on deerfoot, hit a curb out of NO where, go through stop signs. Damn did that ever give me hairy nuts, I'm seriously glad I am alive after all that.

Oh ya moral of the story... two words. COW FOOD