Quantcast
Please help....I hit a parked car in a parking lot - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • File though my insurance and let them handle it?

15 32.61%
  • Ask the guy to send me the quotes so I can have them reviewed by my autobody friend?

21 45.65%
  • Not file through my insurance and try to work it out with him?

14 30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please help....I hit a parked car in a parking lot

Question Please help....I hit a parked car in a parking lot

I need advice. This weekend I hit a parked car with no one it in going only 2 miles per hour. There is no damage to my car but the guy I hit has a small crack in his bumper. I was drivin a Cadi Deville and he has a 2003 Dodge Mini Van. He is insisting we do not go through the insurance, he is affraid his premium will go up. He is trying to rip me off. Today he told me the damage is $1800. and said to send him a cashiers check. Once he saw I was not going for that he changed his story and said we could settle at $1500, bottom line, he wants $. He said he is going through a divorce and owes back child support and has also asked me on a date now. Can you say weirdo!!! If I file through my insurance will I have to pay my deductible to fix his car? There is no damage to my car. Please help me, I am upset and confused!
    ARC1

My Ride
    07 R6, 12 Ralliart

um tell him to take it to a shop and have them call you with a quote, or you'll put it through insurance

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

first of all, HIS premium will not go up

Second, feel free to settle yourself, but explain he has to have 3 quotes, and that you'll either pay the average, or you will go through insurance.

If he continues to be a dick, bite the bullet, and go through your insurance. you may get stung, but its better than getting fucked over by this guy.

also, if you do settle out of insurance, make sure you get pics, copies of all the estimates, and a written statement signed by both, with licence plate # and DL# and preferable signed by a nuetral witness.

good luck

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Pay the man....period.

If you file through insurance your rates will increase by $200 - $400 per year for six years.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

wtf he asked you out on a date?

How does it work though, in a parking lot. I always thought it was 50/50, and from a lot of scenarios where it was fully one persons fault, the bill still gets split 50/50...?

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

why dont you go out on a date with him?

he sounds like a pretty chill guy

My Ride
    German

Creep. Go through insurance.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I live in Florida which is a no fault state. The laws here suck. I want to take care of fixing his vehicle, I just don't want him to take advantage of me. I am a good person and will do the right thing I just don't wanted to get fed . Botton line, the guy is a creep! He also s/w my Mom and fed her the same

Thank you all again, you did help me and I appreciate it!
    ARC1

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Pay the man....period.

If you file through insurance your rates will increase by $200 - $400 per year for six years.

Be nice, this is my first accident and I am 30. Do you think my rates will increase that much?
    ARC1

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Youir rates in Canada would increase that much, probably not a big deal, but seriously have him send you a quote or two before just giving him a cheque, better yet, tell him to have the reapir shop send you the work quote and final bill.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    reebok Jams

get two official or maybe three quotes from legitimate body shops, have OFFICIAL copies presented to you and only THEN give him money... Insurance will require those same quotes anyway so either way you will see how much it will cost.

RIDES: 94' EH2: Sold, 98' DC4 sold, 93 S13 sold, 93 S14 the lead sled

1992 Honda EG6 SiR for sale!:ONLY! $4900.00Message me for more info!

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

$1800 might not be completely out to lunch. If the bumper does have a crack on, it'll probably need to be replaced. If going through dealership for the part and labour plus paint, wouldn't surprise me if they charge you $1000+ easy? On partstrain.com choosing the crappiest 2003 model of Dodge Caravan a front bumper cover is priced at $221.60 sale price, and $369.33 list price (all prices in USD). Of course when replacing bumper cover, you might as well replace the absorber too, soo yea, pricing might be not completely out of whack. and the dude sounds like a creep haha note to self, do not ask some one who hit your car out after asking for money.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

oh yeah, if possible try to get a quote by yourself (instead of just relying on him to get the quotes). Once you've got one quote, take it to another place, but don't show the 2nd place the quote. If the first quote is lower, show the 2nd place that quote and ask if they'll beat that price. Keep going until you're not making much progress on lowering the estimates
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The funny part is, he won't even be using that money to get it fixed. He'll be using it to pay his child support

Personally, I would have him send it to a shop, and pay the shop directly, or just go through insurance. If he still doesn't want to, that's his problem, he won't get it fixed OR any money then.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2 Wheels

He asked you on a date? Play that angle, get him to be a creep, and tell him to take a hike after you've recorded him masturbating on the phone or something. Threaten to send the tape to his ex-wife and it will be over sooner than you could have dreamed.

Question, do you live in Calgary? You're from Fl?

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

Originally posted by ARC1
    Thank you all very much for your advice. I live in Florida which is a no fault state. The laws here suck. I want to take care of fixing his vehicle, I just don't want him to take advantage of me. I am a good person and will do the right thing I just don't wanted to get fed . Botton line, the guy is a creep! He also s/w my Mom and fed her the same

Thank you all again, you did help me and I appreciate it!

Originally posted by 929
    He asked you on a date? Play that angle, get him to be a creep, and tell him to take a hike after you've recorded him masturbating on the phone or something. Threaten to send the tape to his ex-wife and it will be over sooner than you could have dreamed.

Question, do you live in Calgary? You're from Fl?
    Moron, i wonder who you will reincarnate as next

My Ride
    Honda CRV

get quotes
    best thing
    take like 4-5 and then take the avg. and pay him that
    done deal
    nothing more
    if he doesnt agree
    then just go thru insurance

My Ride
    WRX STI

It will not effect his insurance. It has nothing to do with him. It is your choice on how you would like to pay. For insurance your deductable will be 250,500, or 1000 (what ever you chose when u signed up). PLus the chance of your insurance going up.

Also, get the body shop to call you with the quote and make sure you see the quote papers. Never go by word of mouth!!!

Third, some people will find the highest quote they can and then have you write them a personal checque if your doing it without insurance. This way he wants to pocket as much as he can and maybe the little crack doesent even bother him. If you want to avoid this if your care, tell him you will be making the checque out to the body shop not him personally. Less chances of something going wrong on the furture.

I had some one hit my car, then write me a personal checque after i handed him several quotes. 3 months later he wants his money back becuase he think it was too much even though i gave him 4 quotes and he choose the lowest. So he sued me but i owned his ass in court and got even more money out of him for wasting my time.

Make sure you keep track of all documents and the dates of everything. Cover your ass every angle that you can.

And get a signed release!
    After the financial negotiations are looked after but before handing over ANY money, get him to sign a proper release indemnifying you from any further action.
    That way he can't come back at you later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast