Quantcast
B18A VS. B18B head studs **HELP - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: B18A VS. B18B head studs **HELP

Default B18A VS. B18B head studs **HELP

Have a turbo integra b18b.. blew the stock head gasket yesterday and am upgrading to a better one..

Question is i called mopac and asked for b18b arp head studs and they told me they didnt know what a b18b motor was and all they could get them for is a b18a.. Do the b18a head studs work on the b18b motor

thanks

My Ride
    01 AP1

the b18a is pretty much the same motor as a b18b. b18b is obd1 and b18a is obdo....as for the head gasket what are you upgrading to. oem honda replacment headgasket is all you really need. did you replace the head gasket when you boosted it to start or just threw on a turbo kit?

Oh okay thanks so it should work then atleast head stud wise.. um im going to be upgrading to a copper head gasket i blew the OEM honda one yesterday o im going with something stronger.
    thanks for the help!

Default Re: B18A VS. B18B head studs **HELP

Originally posted by dainom89
    Have a turbo integra b18b.. blew the stock head gasket yesterday and am upgrading to a better one..

Question is i called mopac and asked for b18b arp head studs and they told me they didnt know what a b18b motor was and all they could get them for is a b18a.. Do the b18a head studs work on the b18b motor

thanks
    Tell Mopac what car you drive. I don't think they'd know the engine codes off the top of their head for every car produced.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

According to this site, they're the same part # between the two, I compared two different generations of (90-93 vs 94-00):

http://www.acuraoemparts.com

It's hit or miss with Mopac. It depends on who you talk to there, but in general most of the guys only know what the books tell them. There is one guy there that knows Hondas but I can't remember his name (Jeff maybe?).

For head gaskets, Cometic is known to be good for boosted applications. There are a lot of boosted gen 2 Tegs on G2ic.com that are running Cometics so it can't be bad. I'm not sure who you can get them from locally, but they are available online and with the exchange rate it'd be a good time to get one if you can. I got mine online for about $85US.

G/L

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

There's only going to be 4 headgasket options for all B-series motors:

VTEC -> Any OEM setup that came with a VTEC head (81mm, with oil passage for VTEC solenoid)
    LS -> B18A or B18B (non-VTEC, 81mm)
    B20 -> same as LS, but 84mm
    LS/VTEC -> will come in 81 or 84mm depending on what block you used...but realistically, just use a LS one and open up the dowel pin holes yourself...that's all that you're paying for on this hybrid.

So long story short....the B18A and B18B will be the same parts for the headstuds and gasket. OEM is going to be fine on a boosted motor provided that you have a clean and flat mounting surface.

Thanks for all the help guys.. I am just going to get an OEM head gasket tommrw, and im spraying it in a high heat adhesive copper. Other then that i picked up a set of the head studs from mopac the guy didnt know shit and i did tell him what the deal was with the motor and he went all from the books. but i just told him b18a studs and thats just what he gave me so.. everything should be okay now with the gasket and the studss!

yes jeff is about the only one there somewhat knowlagble about imports
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost