Quantcast
M5, E55 Amg, E63 Amg - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M5, E55 Amg, E63 Amg

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Yeah, I had always read that the AMG autos were crazy fast - thats why I asked if I was right or not.

So then I guess the person before me just drove it like a granny? I needed to really put my foot in it to make it downshift, and in the BMW in "S" mode, all I need to do is curl my toes and it downshifts. As far as the actual speed of shifting it was as fast as any other, if not faster. In the particular example I drove, I just thought I was doing more than I should have to to make it downshift.
    Most likely. Why didn't you just use the +/- and choose your own gears?

But ya, if the car was granny driven, you'll pretty much have to step down to the kickdown for it to downshift. It learns fairly quick tho... at the track it takes about a lap for the tranny to always stay about 3500rpm, even under braking.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Most likely. Why didn't you just use the +/- and choose your own gears?

But ya, if the car was granny driven, you'll pretty much have to step down to the kickdown for it to downshift. It learns fairly quick tho... at the track it takes about a lap for the tranny to always stay about 3500rpm, even under braking.
    That is most likely what the issue was, because I wasn't driving the piss off of it for the whole test drive either, so the computer was probably a little confused. I did notice it held the RPM's even when I let off the gas, which was good.

I found the +/- shifting to be slow. The shifting itself was very quick, but there was significant lag between my input and the execution of the actual shift so I preferred to just leave it in full auto. I haven't driven many cars I don't think that had a really fast acting manu-matic....again, the actual shifts are quicker than most people could do manually but its the lag between the input and the execution of the shift. Maybe there was just something wrong with the car I drove? I don't really know.

Regardless, I absolutely loved the power. I believe it is the fastest/most powerful car I have ever driven, and you get all that with 4 doors and plenty of practicality.

Originally posted by Spatz
    2003-2006 E55 AMG

my step dad HAD one its garbage, do not get it, very disappointing car.
    LMAO

Care to say why, or do you not know cause everything is second-hand knowledge...

Originally posted by Spatz
    2003-2006 E55 AMG

my step dad HAD one its garbage, do not get it, very disappointing car.
    Was it too fast? Was it too practical? Did it have too many features? was it too safe? or maybe it looked too good?

You need to say why.

Don't forget too good of a value. Could have bought a Maserati Quattroporte for twice as much and gotten a much worse car.

Was it too fast? Was it too practical? Did it have too many features? was it too safe? or maybe it looked too good?

You need to say why.

hahahaaha

He was probably never allowed to drive his step-dad's car so when he asked why, Daddy lied and said: "uh...cause it's garbage and a very disappointing car"

That is most likely what the issue was, because I wasn't driving the piss off of it for the whole test drive either, so the computer was probably a little confused. I did notice it held the RPM's even when I let off the gas, which was good.

I found the +/- shifting to be slow. The shifting itself was very quick, but there was significant lag between my input and the execution of the actual shift so I preferred to just leave it in full auto. I haven't driven many cars I don't think that had a really fast acting manu-matic....again, the actual shifts are quicker than most people could do manually but its the lag between the input and the execution of the shift. Maybe there was just something wrong with the car I drove? I don't really know.

Regardless, I absolutely loved the power. I believe it is the fastest/most powerful car I have ever driven, and you get all that with 4 doors and plenty of practicality.
    it appears that Glenmore Audi has one in the autotrader right now.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...type=province#
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I found the +/- shifting to be slow. The shifting itself was very quick, but there was significant lag between my input and the execution of the actual shift so I preferred to just leave it in full auto.
    Ya, the 5 speeds had a quarter second lag from when you hit the button and when the shift occurs. The new 7 speed in the E63 fixes that... instant shifts.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by DayGlow

it appears that Glenmore Audi has one in the autotrader right now.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...type=province#
    Yup, I'll probably be checking it out this week. I think my dad made an appointment for a test drive. He's always wanted an RS6.

Resurrecting a really old thread, but a good discussion of the M5/E55/RS6 debate as well as some good commentary on the genre (and my review of an RS6):

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/1358/drov...udi-rs6-today/

My Ride
    !

Wow, great tips and great thoughts.

Does anyone have direct expereince with a '63 AMG' vehicle? Rage2?

How did it rank vs. a 55 amg? *Preferably a E55*
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    [Single Beam][Limited Quantity][Call Now!]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    -708-9036
    [email protected]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Dont know your bulb size? Click Here *
    Visit us in the Marketplace: Beyond.ca - HIDStop

Cosmetic Styling. Driving Safety.
    We carry xenon conversion kits for every automotive application.

My Ride
    E63. No, the one with SMG

Originally posted by E36M3
    Don't forget too good of a value. Could have bought a Maserati Quattroporte for twice as much and gotten a much worse car.
    Again, you know this from first hand knowledge?

Soooo many things wrong with this that I'm not sure where to start. New car to new car, the QP is not twice as much as the E55/63... more like 40% more.

Worse car is VERY subjective and I hope you reply back with your personal drving impressions of both cars, not just what you've heard or read. Wait, you say you haven't driven a QP? OR an E55? That's shocking! Please, go drive both and let me know how much better the E55 is then...
    Last edited by me&you; 06-25-2007 at 12:48 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by HIDStop
    Wow, great tips and great thoughts.

Does anyone have direct expereince with a '63 AMG' vehicle? Rage2?

How did it rank vs. a 55 amg? *Preferably a E55*
    I've driven the E63. Damn fun car... totally different beast than the E55.

The Pros... it's faster than the E55. The 7 speed auto is amazing, it closes the gap completely to BMW's SMG2/SMG3 with a level of smoothness and refinement that you can't have with a clutch. Way better use of traction since you don't have absurd amounts of TQ to work with.

The cons... $$$. It feels slower than the E55 even tho it's faster, downshifts are a tad slower than SMG because of TQ converter. Don't downshift mid corner at the track!

I would buy a 63 over a 55 anyday... much easier to control the power since it's so much more tractable.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by me&you
    Again, you know this from first hand knowledge?
    E36M3 only speaks from first hand knowledge . Same goes for me if you're wondering.

My Ride
    E63. No, the one with SMG

Originally posted by rage2

E36M3 only speaks from first hand knowledge . Same goes for me if you're wondering.
    I figured you might!

My apologies to E36M3 if I was out of line. I have thoroughly enjoyed any time I've been at the wheel of a QP, both the auto and the Duoselect. Just a difference of opinions, I guess.

My Ride
    !

Thanks Rage. Also, thanks for the PM's.

It comes down to CLS vs. E class. I love the styling of both vehicles, both vehicles have the same power plant with identical power output, and they are at most $10,000 apart from each other.

I will be taking both for test drives back to back once the weather clears up this week.

I can see that a few board members have experience with the E55 - do any members have experience with both the E55 and the CLS55? Or, preferably - the E63 and the CLS63?
    Rage2, E36M3?

Thanks again.
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    [Single Beam][Limited Quantity][Call Now!]
    -708-9036
    [email protected]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Dont know your bulb size? Click Here *
    Visit us in the Marketplace: Beyond.ca - HIDStop

Cosmetic Styling. Driving Safety.
    We carry xenon conversion kits for every automotive application.

One thing to check out (IF it's important to you) is the head room in the back of the CLS, I've heard from a couple of people that it's a little cramped and it may not be good if you plan to have a few clients or people in the back all the time.

I personally couldn't care less as I think the CLS has the nicest lines I've seen in a LONG time and I rarely have people riding in the back...

CLS55 ///AMG FTW!

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted at mbworld.org
    The difference now is that to many, the 63 is not only slower than the 600 but also slower than the out going 55's. I understand that the 63 vs 55 is an arguable point but as weight increases in these larger cars, the difference will become more obvious. This to me explains why there is no NA SL63, or NA G63. MB/AMG has continued with the 55's versions of this car and plan to do so for the next several years.
    Some people have argued that the 55 is actually faster than the 63.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196024

There's a lot of bickering in the thread though...

IMO, the CLS AMG is the way to go, my favourite car, great lines, and I find the head room alright, and I'm almost 6'2, it was a little cramped for headroom in the back, but I would take one over an E class.

My Ride
    E36, soarer

You need to say why.
    sure why not, lots of little noises in the car, the transmission skipped, air conditioning vents didnt work properly, the sunroof was screwed up and the service was terrible at the dealership.

That's his car specifically, not E55's in general

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast