Quantcast
M5, E55 Amg, E63 Amg - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: M5, E55 Amg, E63 Amg

My Ride
    !

Default M5, E55 Amg, E63 Amg

In the market for a new (ish) vehicle - and I am looking to see if anyone has experience with the following vehicles:

2000-2003 M5
    2003-2006 E55 AMG
    2007 E63 AMG

As you might be able to tell, I am in the market for a 'performance' sedan.
    I would be a little concerned with supercharger malfunctions on the E55, but love the numbers that it can put out.

The M would be the most economical, the E55 second, and last would be the E63- which I can pick up for a fair bit under MSRP with a few km's on it.

If anyone has experience with these vehicles, and/or knows of any problems, or benefits of ownership - please chime in and let me know!

Thanks

Edit: I'm not necessarily looking for the vehicle with the most power, or the newest vehicle. I am just trying to weigh out the vehicle with the most value.
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    [Single Beam][Limited Quantity][Call Now!]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    -708-9036
    [email protected]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Dont know your bulb size? Click Here *
    Visit us in the Marketplace: Beyond.ca - HIDStop

Cosmetic Styling. Driving Safety.
    We carry xenon conversion kits for every automotive application.

All three are great cars. I wouldn't be too worried about the supercharger issue.. I had a car with the same motor and never had any issues.

The E63 has fantastic, BMW like throttle response, but the supercharged V8 in the E55 has thrust like a space shuttle. Compared to the other two, the M5 feels relatively underpowered and would definitely show its age, but I think it would be hard to beat the value.

The handling of the M5 is world class, as is the braking. I also think it has a certain understated elegance.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

In terms of handling the M5 would be your best bet.

However, the torque in the E63 and E55 is unmatchable. I've driven a few newer E55's and it was awesome. The supercharger whine is something you won't find an the E63, but the power is higher.

M5: 3957 lbs
    Horsepower: 394 bhp
    Torque: 369 lb-ft

E63: 4,057 lbs
    Horsepower:514 bhp
    Torque:465 lb-ft

E55: 4,237 lbs
    Horsepower:469 bhp
    Torque:516 lb-ft

Have you considered a CLS55/63 too? The lines are so sleek.
    Last edited by Canmorite; 06-24-2007 at 03:13 PM.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The M5 is a V8 not a V10 and it has 394HP not 507.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by LongCity
    The M5 is a V8 not a V10 and it has 394HP not 507.
    I thought he was talking about the E60, and I screwed it up. Editied for clarity.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Why aren't you looking at the new M5s BTW? Cost too much? I would say go for the M5, better handling then the Mercs for sure but not as fast. Would you actually use the extra speed anyways? The Mercs look a lot bigger than that gen M5 and I'm guessing they are a bit larger inside but IMO even though they're beautiful they look a bit boaty compared to the M5. I say the M5 is the best choice since
    A) It's plenty fast enough
    B) I'm guessing you can get it for quite a bit cheaper
    C) Insurance? Less I would hope (but I'm not sure)
    D) Smaller and less frequent speeding tickets
    E) Handles well

I mean, the E class is nice and all but it just has too big of a . . . presence (it looks big). If you really really really need to, just get a supercharger installed afterwards

Originally posted by crazedmodder
    Why aren't you looking at the new M5s BTW? Cost too much? I would say go for the M5, better handling then the Mercs for sure but not as fast. Would you actually use the extra speed anyways? The Mercs look a lot bigger than that gen M5 and I'm guessing they are a bit larger inside but IMO even though they're beautiful they look a bit boaty compared to the M5. I say the M5 is the best choice since
    A) It's plenty fast enough
    B) I'm guessing you can get it for quite a bit cheaper
    C) Insurance? Less I would hope (but I'm not sure)
    D) Smaller and less frequent speeding tickets
    E) Handles well

I mean, the E class is nice and all but it just has too big of a . . . presence (it looks big). If you really really really need to, just get a supercharger installed afterwards
    LMAO....insurance? Like that's an issue when you buy these cars
    Smaller? Therefore less speeding tickets? WTF, your logic fails you.

the w211 isn't boat-ier or bigger than the 5er....

If you reallly really need to, supercharge the E63 and leave ALL m5's in the dust....

LOL

I agree with E36M3, you will find the E39 M5 dated when comparing to both E AMG's and the power is NOTHING like them..

It comes down to getting the right E55 that is a little more mod friendly or getting the E63, the big bad, new toy, with a new ECU, resonator delete and have a bad-ass car...

Stay away from 03 W211's though...I've heard issues with the first year of it...

Join mymbonline.com and mbworld.org for fun, informative MB communities...

My Ride
    !

Thanks for the informative replies!

Canmorite - I cant believe I forgot to put in the CLS, its one of my all time favorite MB.

Please correct me if I am wrong - the CLS 63 is a new '08 model, is that correct? Which would mean I would need to purchase brand new - and at MSRP. High $120's I believe for the 63 - and purchasing brand new is something I would like to pass on if possible, as I would like to miss that immediate 'off-the-lot-' depreciation if possible.
    Also - at that price, the CLS 63 would be a bit out of my range for now. Even if I were to go with a E63 AMG, it would be an 07 with a few kms on it (<20,000).

CLS55 AMG: lbs
    Horsepower: 469 bhp
    Torque: 516 lb-ft

Price wise, I now see that the CLK 55 would fall between the E55 and the E63.

E36M3 - Thanks for the reply! I have driven the M5 on numerous occasions, and do absolutely love the handling.

I do believe that I would be able to pick up a '05+ M5 for less than a E63 AMG, but I picked the 01-03 M5 instead - as I have always been a huge fan of the E39 M, and am not 100% sold on the new M styling.

Zorro - thanks for the tip on the '03 W211 .
    Last edited by HIDStop; 06-24-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    -708-9036
    [email protected]

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    !

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Go get one used from US of A.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&amp;cardist=8
    That's definitely a possibility.
    Thanks for the link, that CLS500 is beautiful! My only problem is that I'm bent on a AMG!
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    -708-9036
    [email protected]

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Good luck trying to import a MB from the US.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    !

Originally posted by rage2
    Good luck trying to import a MB from the US.
    Good to know! What's the deal with trying to import a MB from the States?
    $180.00 HID kits!!
    -708-9036
    [email protected]

Check the RIV list. any MB imported from the US needs to have a certification letter from MB Canada saying that it complies with Canadian safety regulations.

You basically have to get it from the dealer, who I'm sure are very happy that you decided you were too good for them and bought from the US. Let's just say it probably won't be free.

I believe the process starts with you paying them to fly a tech in from Vancouver to do the initial inspection, and then it gets worse from there.
    Last edited by tentacles; 06-25-2007 at 12:48 AM.

My Ride
    bmw 135

i would say the m5 for sure cause its manual.
    ps if u are looking for one my dads selling his 2002 let me know.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by tentacles
    Check the RIV list. any MB imported from the US needs to have a certification letter from MB Canada saying that it complies with Canadian safety regulations.

You basically have to get it from the dealer, who I'm sure are very happy that you decided you were too good for them and bought from the US. Let's just say it probably won't be free.

I believe the process starts with you paying them to fly a tech in from Vancouver to do the initial inspection, and then it gets worse from there.
    haha it's not THAT bad, but it's painful.

Basically, you find a US car. Get the VIN. Fax the info to MB Canada (nothing to do with dealerships). They'll tell you if the car is admissable (with a list of mods you need done after import that's $4000-12000 depending on model and year). That process takes a long ass time. By the time u get the info, the car's already sold. Of course you can buy the car first and pray that it's OK, but if it's not admissable (such as all SLKs), you're SOL and you'll have to sell the car in the states.

MB does midyear changes too, so some cars will be allowed in based on month of production. Also, some factory (not port or dealer) installed options will make the car inadmissable.

Loads of fun! haha
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

with a list of mods you need done after import that's $4000-12000 depending on model and year
    Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry. Basically the car is only "admissible" after the DEALER does all the mods, and sign off on it. Not like you could buy a bumper off ebay and screw it on yourself or something.

I've driven the M5 and E55. The M5 feels smaller than it is, handles/brakes very well. It was deceptively fast, but nothing like the E55. The E55 was crazy fast but the whole experience was dampened by the fact it was an automatic. It was a reasonably good automatic but still not as fast, smooth, or responsive as BMW's automatics on their regular cars such as the 540. If the E55 had a more responsive automatic I would have liked it significantly better. It is possible that it was an adaptive automatic, and the previous driver drove it like a granny, but I would think in a half an hour test drive that would change. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong here. Also keep in mind, if you buy the new E63, that in a 2-3 years it will depreciate about as much as a E39 M5 would cost you. That's probably not an big deal for you though if you can swing a $120,000 car. Good luck with your choice, you really can't go wrong in this class of car however I would add the Audi RS6 to the roster unless you have purposely left it out for some reason. When top gear tested the M5/RS6/E55 they picked the RS6 - hands down the nicest interior, AWD, and plenty of power with the twin turbo V8. Very minimal performance difference between the RS6 and E55; the seat of your pants would not be able to tell the difference. That's the car I'd be after in this segment for sure. You can't get them from the states, but they were sold in Canada in 2003 only and will run you $70,000-$90,000.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-25-2007 at 08:20 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

^^^ Correcting you cuz you're wrong .

Ya, the E55's auto is way faster than BMW autos. Even the new 335i turbo's auto tranny is slower than the E55's. The E63's auto is even better... it's as fast as the SMG in S6 mode hehe.

Originally posted by rage2
    ^^^ Correcting you cuz you're wrong .

Ya, the E55's auto is way faster than BMW autos. Even the new 335i turbo's auto tranny is slower than the E55's. The E63's auto is even better... it's as fast as the SMG in S6 mode hehe.
    Yeah, I had always read that the AMG autos were crazy fast - thats why I asked if I was right or not.

So then I guess the person before me just drove it like a granny? I needed to really put my foot in it to make it downshift, and in the BMW in "S" mode, all I need to do is curl my toes and it downshifts. As far as the actual speed of shifting it was as fast as any other, if not faster. In the particular example I drove, I just thought I was doing more than I should have to to make it downshift.

My Ride
    E36, soarer

2003-2006 E55 AMG

my step dad HAD one its garbage, do not get it, very disappointing car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast