Quantcast
Need a little suspension help/advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need a little suspension help/advice

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

Default Need a little help/advice

Ok, so my suspension project isn't going as smooth as I had hoped. I found some bent parts, and a i have one piece that wont come undone. I am getting replacement this weekend for the bent bits, so thats not a problem.

The problem I have is that I am replacing the front sway bar bushings and I can't seem to disconnect the swaybar from the end links. I can get the nut to spin, but it spins with the threads. I put a hex key into the threaded part but I cant break the nut free. Does anyone have any advice or tricks that they know of to take this apart?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Berg

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

pretty much just spray the shit out of it with penetrating fluid.. get a hex key socket that will fit onto a ratchet.. those are much better than those shitty individual keys. Make sure you have both the hex socket and the wrench securely in place and use a breaker bar on the wrench of necessary.. might be a 2 person job.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

Thanks, I'll give it a try. So I guess the next question would be: Who wants to come give me a hand?

I am really looking forward to getting this done. I think it will greatly improve the car. I thought that the shaking in the steering wheel was a bent rim but it turns out my front right bearing had a large amount of play in it. Hopefully back on her wheels Monday.

Cheers,
    Berg

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

Well things aren't going as well as planned. The front strut bar was seized to the car and had to be cut off. Fortunately I was able to source a replacement before taking this step. I also had a rear strut bar that was bent and again I found a replacement. Everything has been treated for rust and painted in hopes of preventing future rust. The sway bar end links will not come off without being cut (the hex end on the threades has stripped). I'll wait until I have a set of aftermarket end links before I do that. Every bolt/nut that has to do with allignment has been worked free and has been cleaned. They all now will travel the entire length of their adjustment by hand (or hand tool). Should be a mechanics delight to do an allignment.

Here's a question: After it is alligned should I paint the threads/nuts/bolts to prevent dirt from getting in the threads and rust from starting? I would think that it would be easier in future allignments to remove the paint and turn the nuts/bolts than it would be to unseize everything. Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Berg

I wouldn't paint the threads.

Use anti seize compound on the threads.

Also think about how long those bars were on there? Since 1987? Will you have the car for 20 some years?

Just my opinion.

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

I don't think it's been quite twenty years since they were off. Two owners ago the suspension was overhauled. Probably going to use copper grease on it. One solution is to work the bolts regularily, but I don't know if I want to allign the car that often. Maybe I'll get into the routine of doing it twice a year...

Have you tried an impact wrench on the end links? They often break then loose. If that fails you can use a nut cracker to get the nut off. Like mike said if you are worried about seizing then hit them with anti-seize or grease.

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

Yeah the impact wrench saved me a lot of grief. And I will be using grease on everything. Looks like the best solution is to work the nuts every so often, so I'm thinking if I get regular allignments I can work all the nuts the day before.

Some thing else that can help especially if you get twosrus end links is to get stainless steel nuts and washers from a specialty place like Blackfoot Industrial Supply or the bolt supply warehouse etc. I'm not talking stainless plated which are silver in color but pure stainless which has kind of a gun metal gray color. They absolutely will not corrode.

My Ride
    1987 MR2 w/ 1988 4A-GZE

Yeah thats good advice. I'm going to have to wait for the endlinks though. My wallet took quite a blow with the parts I already got and the rims and tires on the way! Probably order them in September.

Cheers,
    Berg