Quantcast
Compilation of Calgary Mexican - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compilation of Calgary Mexican

My Ride
    W204

Default Compilation of Calgary Mexican

So I really like Mexican, and I want to compile a list of all current Mexican places in Calgary.. Shit hole or not (and most if not all Calgary Mexican leans towards shit but that's besides the point!).

Please post name, location, and short description if you can. I'll start.

- Casa Latina - 17th Ave and 36th St. SE: fairly good, has some varied and authentic dishes. Don't go when it's busy. I think everything is PRE COOKED and just refried, so it all comes out really really dry and burnt. Making me think twice about going back.

- El Sombrero - 17th Ave SW: seems to be everyone's favorite.

- Salt & Pepper - Bowness Rd.: Ok stuff, has all you can eat night I think? Location on McLeod as well (by Memex).

- Boca Loca - Northmount & 14th St. NW: Mexican grocery store but serves lunch.

- Juan's Mexican Restaurant - Stephen Ave. SW: Never been but haven't heard good things.

- Julio's Barrio - 10th St. and Memorial Dr. NW: Can be barely called Mexican.

- Banff: Magpie and Stump. Refers to themselves as Texmex. Haven't tried yet, but on my to do list.

- Dead Man's Flats (about 10 minutes before Canmore on highway 1): Bandoleer's. I hear it's good. On my to do list.

Oh and I guess "Texmex" which would include Julio's, Chilis, and Santa Fe Grill (avoid McLeod location at all costs).

Anyone else know any?
    Last edited by clem24; 07-12-2007 at 11:47 AM.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

There's one on the same block as the 2nd Cup by Sunridge Spectrum, don't remember what it's called, but it was alright.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ga16i
    There's one on the same block as the 2nd Cup by Sunridge Spectrum, don't remember what it's called, but it was alright.
    It was some like Chico's Tecate grill or whatever. Place is gone. Replaced by a Taco Time.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I actually didn't mind Juan's. El Sombrero is probably my favorite though.

When I crave TexMex I head out to the Magpie and Stump in Banff.

My Ride
    G35x

Just my opinion but El Sombrero's is probably the furthest thing away from authenic mexican food. I've been there a few times and it's not that its bad, it's just very bland for Mexican.

Might be everyones favorite becuase it's obviously catered towards the western palate.

If ever in monterey, CA go to a place called El Rancheros. Only mexican cops eat at this place and it it by far the best Mexican food I've ever had at a fraction of the cost.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by badseed
    Just my opinion but El Sombrero's is probably the furthest thing away from authenic mexican food. I've been there a few times and it's not that its bad, it's just very bland for Mexican.

Might be everyones favorite becuase it's obviously catered towards the western palate.

If ever in monterey, CA go to a place called El Rancheros. Only mexican cops eat at this place and it it by far the best Mexican food I've ever had at a fraction of the cost.
    Dude.. no shit. Calgary Mexican sucks. It's been well established. I don't care that you can get good Mexican in CA. Heck, the worst US Mexican is probably better than the best crap here. Now stick to the topic.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

The only authentic Mexican food in Calgary and area is what my wife cooks for me LOL. I haven't been to all of the restaurants in town though. I have been to Salt N Pepper before I went to Mexico City and experienced the real stuff. For any Mexican food supplies, I would go to La Tiendona instead of Boca Loca. It is located on 36 Street NE just south of 17 Avenue in Forest Lawn. Better prices and the dude there is nicer than the other place.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Juans is owned by a Mexican family, so I would think they would provide the most traditional food.

I've ate there for lunch, its OK.

But then again, Mexican food isn't exactly gourmet...LOL

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Juans is owned by a Mexican family, so I would think they would provide the most traditional food.
    Meaningless. Any of the 1.5 billion Chinese can come and open a Chinese restaurant. Doesn't automatically make it authentic, esp. if the guy can't cook!

I miss Chi Chi's.

Originally posted by badseed

This reminds me of every sushi thread...'if you want good sushi, go to vancouver...'

Originally posted by clem24

Dude.. no shit. Calgary Mexican sucks. It's been well established. I don't care that you can get good Mexican in CA. Heck, the worst US Mexican is probably better than the best crap here. Now stick to the topic.
    Boy do I agree with you, Clem. Why is it Calgary can have all kinds of good other restaurants but not Mexican. I've treid all the above mentioned places and still haven't found a good one. Found one in Edmonton..but none here.

Whats that little place in Bowness called? We went in there one time...place was packed!! But almost looked like a private party..everyone table wandering and talking to each other. We stood there at the hostess station for a good 5 minutes and no one came up to us...turned around and walked out, so I haven't tried the food there yet.

That place on the red mile...blech!! Thier burritos are pre-made in the morning..and they just microwave them!!! Mine came complete with the dried out edges as hard as a rock, and slightly warm! When I asked for hot sauce (and I mean HOT!!) she hunts around and hands me a bottle of tobasco!!

WTF???

I'll be following this thread to see if we can find one.

Salt and pepper is in bowness.

I do love their cheese stuffed poblano peppers.

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

why go to a fancy restaurant when you can get tasty cheap mexican food from tacobell?

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by DepTrotter
    why go to a fancy restaurant when you can get tasty cheap mexican food from tacobell?
    It's funny you mention that, because at times, Taco Bell actually does taste better than some of shitty ass Mexican we get. Mmm... Fries Supreme. This is getting really sad. So far, it seems like I have to drive to Spokane to get decent Mexican.

Maddog, what's this place in Edmonton you speak of? Sounds intriguing.

BTW people have been saying there's a good Mexican place in Red Deer. I don't remember the name. Anyway, I went there, and it sucks shit. Mind you, I suppose it's still better than some of places here, but not what I call good.

My Ride
    W204

Updated top post.

My Ride
    DUBZ

Originally posted by DepTrotter
    shit food for a pos person!!

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

Originally posted by Importz

shit food for a pos person!!
    Shitty english for a stupid fuck!!

Originally posted by clem24

It's So far, it seems like I have to drive to Spokane to get decent Mexican.

Maddog, what's this place in Edmonton you speak of? Sounds intriguing.
    Funny you mention Spokane, Clem. Even the states up north and close to the border have great mexican. We used to go down to Seattle all the time and wow! No matter where you went the mexican was fantastic. Even a little crappy hole-in-the-wall place in Bellingham, WA had great food.

Can't remember the name of the place in Edmonton...but the waitress said they had a sister-restaurant in Calgary...in Kensington, used to be a Red Robins, right on the corner there. But haven't tried that place yet, and just because its the same name, doesn't mean the same food. But whatever its called...its that place in Edmonton, I think on Stoney Plain Rd...close to the Hilton Hotel on the same road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast