Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

My Ride
    firebird

Default Too little interest in studying + access to computers and credit= see below.

Ok well here is my entire collection pretty much since I started buying nice peices- enjoy~! (Yes this is ridiculous and no I am not rich- just in debt).

1979 Les Paul Deluxe

Same as above + 52 Reissue Butterscotch blonde telecaster

Gibson Les Paul Classic- heritage cherry burst

2004 PRS Brazilian Ltd. in Whale Blue 439/500

I liked the mateo blue so I sold that one and bought the mateo blue one that can be seen in the middle here, along with the Les Paul and and Ernie Ball with the upgraded flame maple top- what a stunning piece!

PRS Swamp Ash Special in Olympic White

PRS Hanging with other PRS

I own this one- PRS McCarty Soap Bar- one of the nicest sounding guitars I have played hands down

There is my Eric Clapton strat that I had re-fretted with jumbo bass frets- plays like a dream now. Hanging on my wall of jimi hendrix pics.

My latest purchase- 2005 Gibson Class 5 Custom shop in Sienna Burst- the top looks like a tiger coat- that is why they call it a class 5 (graded AAAAA). And me rocking out at the blind beggar pub a couple weeks ago.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

What a sweet collection!!

If I can ever develop enough skill to justify more gear-whoring, a future want for me might be an Ibanez JS signature. (eg. probably a JS1200 in candy apple).

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

you don't need skill to be a gear whore dude, i've got 8 or 9 guitars and i'm terrible
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    '15 GTI

gear whoring and skill sort of go hand in hand, but the correlation is weak: good gear will improve your playing slightly, because 1) good gear is easier to play; 2) good gear makes you sound better than you actually might be; and most importantly 3) good gear will make you practice more (hopefully)

oh and mckenzie, sick collection...the clapton strat is straight pimpin'...which is your fav?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

one of gibsons "Guitar of the week" guitars, i want it badly

http://www.fqms.com/Gibson_GOW_SG3_F...22977C2738.cfm

i have 2 hotrails that would drop into it beauifully, then i an put that spare gibson humbucker in the bridge of my tele

must....resist...urge...

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

i'm a total noob for guitar.... now those are all electric guitars I assume?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

yup

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I had one of the Gibson Guitar of the Week SGs...

That was one hell of a DEAD axe. It sucked, big time. The GoW Les Pauls I've played at Long & McQuade since are not much better... they really rush those things out the door. But those silverburst Les Pauls they just came out with are so sexy. The SG was nice, too, but the fret job = awful, finish = very see through, and it wasn't supposed to be (inconsistent across the back of the guitar), and you could see glue seeping out around the neck joint. Also the binding on the frets was buggered up in most places and so on. Not worth the money, not even close.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

shame to hear, lower model gibsons are hit and miss from what i've heard and seen, i got lucky with my sg classic it seems.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

i'll admit my les paul's finish is not very tough, however the actual guitar itself is tough as nails, and the setup was perfect from the factory, none of that loose glue, bad fretting you've found b_t

Look what's coming in the next issue (Oct) of Guitar World.... Oh hell yeah!!

And here's a link to the website with a preview of the cd-rom content:
    http://www.guitarworld.com/october_cd_rom_preview

Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo

So I am pretty much a complete rook. I've been learning on my own, but it's not going that well. Does anyone know of some good places to take lessons? I don't want to venture out of the deep SE/SW. Thanks.

Are any of you guys actually good? Not saying to be insulting, but I am thinking of taking up guitar playing, and I want to find out how long it takes to actually get good. Could you play guitar solos? From what I hear it takes years and years to get that good, and I just don't think I would be satisfied playing a couple chords. I do play piano, and have a lot of music production knowledge.

Anyways, good guitar players are badass mothas so rock on guys! lol

Originally posted by TVG
    Are any of you guys actually good? Not saying to be insulting, but I am thinking of taking up guitar playing, and I want to find out how long it takes to actually get good. Could you play guitar solos? From what I hear it takes years and years to get that good, and I just don't think I would be satisfied playing a couple chords. I do play piano, and have a lot of music production knowledge.

I'm not very good (yet). I've been only playing for a couple months, and just experimenting with a DIY home instruction program.

But it doesn't hurt to dream.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, it's definately not overnight. I've been playing on and off, nothing serious (as in 1-2 hrs a month) for about 10 years, and took things a little more seriously around a year ago and actually spent a lot of time playing. I just got comfortable playing lead/solos about 3 months ago.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by TVG

With a lot of practicing (say about 3 hours a day) for two years straight, you would get pretty good. All the time in the world doesn't matter if you don't spend it well. If all you do is practice fundamentals and focus on perfect technique, doing the same thing over and over again, you will get pretty good pretty fast.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by TVG

depends on the level of natural musical talent you have, the hands god gave you, and mostly drive to succeed

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by three.eighteen.

depends on the level of natural musical talent you have, the hands god gave you, and mostly drive to succeed

An ear for music is key, especiallyh once you are beyond the beginner stage.

Large hands are important but having strength, dexterity and accuracy are more important than size- I have tiny hands and have been playing for 12 years.

most important though is a drive to get beyond the first few months of frustration while learning the guitar and how to make basic chords. I found that once you pass the initial plateau, you are more inclined to progress faster. Another important thing is to challenge yourself to playing tough songs to improve your skills.

I would have to say that playing pink floyd was the most important in giving me strength to bend and learn the areas of the neck- david gilmour's ability to bend is unreal! Stevie Ray Vaughan also increased my speed substantially. I also have to say that having gear that sounds good is important too to a certain degree! It does not make you play better, but certain things like neck profiles (can make you more comfortable on the guitar), frets being straight (wont stop you from bending), pickups that sound nice/stay together (good tones), good sounding amp (wont sound thin and brittle) all help you to improve slightly. They also give you motivation to stick with it- picking up a sick axe and rocking out is a ton of fun (while picking up a peice of crap and plugging into an amp that sounds like crap is not).

Good luck
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    '15 GTI

tiny hands sucks so much balls, better than fat fingers i guess

My Ride
    my legs

Originally posted by TVG

like everyone else said, it all matters on how much effort u put into it. For example, one of my old guitar teachers back in the day had only been playing for year, and was the only one in the city who could do 6-step, or maybe it was 12-step sweeps, cant remember. He was teaching after only ONE year.

and your piano knowledge will help a lot. you can pretty much play any tune on the guitar that you can play on the piano
    just think.....if things hadnt of gone the way they did, you could have been on your moms face.

Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast