Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 119 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I play all of mine.. but my flat black SLSMG 6 string gets about 80% of my playing time. Its so nice and broken in now, it just feels wicked to play and it sounds so nice..

Originally posted by kerry
    I usually play my 7 string banjo. It's tuned to low b so I can jam with b_t.

Dueling METAL banjos.
    jam? when? ahahah

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

You got my number... text me fool! None of this facebook/beyond pm shit. You're a mod now so you should have all other mods on speed dial now anyways. It's like rule number 3 in the mod bible.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I don't your or rage's numbers anymore man, my old phone shit the bed and I got a new one. So you'll have to facebook/beyond pm me your #

My Ride
    2010 Lexus RX350

Anyone ever intercept radio signals on your amp by accident? I was just playing earlier and I heard what sounded like a conversation between two people. It was a little creepy, and no I'm not on any drugs

My Ride
    GT-R, S14, FC3S

Originally posted by U4RIA
    Anyone ever intercept radio signals on your amp by accident? I was just playing earlier and I heard what sounded like a conversation between two people. It was a little creepy, and no I'm not on any drugs
    I don't intercept radio signals but sounds from my television, its awkward when you stop playing and you hear Jerry Seinfeld through your amp.

Anyone know who other than Mother's carries Mesa?

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Micho

I don't intercept radio signals but sounds from my television, its awkward when you stop playing and you hear Jerry Seinfeld through your amp.

Anyone know who other than Mother's carries Mesa?
    guitarworks 16th Ave has Mesa but you have to play them at low volume.. so there is no point in going there at all, if you want to find out how the amps sound. Long & McQuade always has Mesa, usually a whole bunch of them, in addition to the full line of cabs. They also have a little side room where you can go set up in and crank the amps up so you can get a good idea of how they sound.

My Ride
    VW Golf

Originally posted by U4RIA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JiQCIzCZA

My Ride
    GT-R, S14, FC3S

Originally posted by b_t

guitarworks 16th Ave has Mesa but you have to play them at low volume.. so there is no point in going there at all, if you want to find out how the amps sound. Long & McQuade always has Mesa, usually a whole bunch of them, in addition to the full line of cabs. They also have a little side room where you can go set up in and crank the amps up so you can get a good idea of how they sound.
    Thanks, I'll check out L&M when I get back into town...never thought much of the place though, always felt most of the people there were arrogant assholes haha. Thanks though.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Micho

Thanks, I'll check out L&M when I get back into town...never thought much of the place though, always felt most of the people there were arrogant assholes haha. Thanks though.
    There are a couple good guys there. Be damned if I can actually remember their names though If you are looking to buy a Mesa, I would get it from L&M... prices are non-negotiable on Mesa gear and L&M has a much better return policy than Guitarworks does.

in other news... gear shot!
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    The new SLS showed up and fuck it is gorgeous

My Ride
    2010 Lexus RX350

Originally posted by corrode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JiQCIzCZA
    I fucking lol'd

On topic, right now I'm using a MIM Fender Strat with a Fender FM15 DSP, and looking to upgrade. What would be a good amp for mostly clean tones?
    Last edited by U4RIA; 09-30-2008 at 05:06 AM.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I just played around, briefly, with a Gibson faded SG. From what I can gather, it has a similar neck to the VM Les Paul. In which case, no fucking wonder you love that thing so much rage.

Unfucking real how nice it was. I pulled a couple LP Standards, a G400 and a couple nicer telecasters down (along with some cheaper shit), and the SG is the only one that really sang to me. I've still got a hankering for a tele to play around with (and have had for quite some time now), but I think that SG is now next on my list. Just sooooooo nice.
    Plus, I just fell ass backwards into a "free" Squier strat, so I've got something to play around with.

Anyone have one of these or play around with one?
    Any thoughts? Any reasons why I shouldn't be lusting over this?
    I can likely get one off ebay for around $600 shipped. I'd be very curious to learn about anything with a smaller price tag and a similar neck so i don't have to wait and save as long to endulge. I'm seriously thinking of sanding the neck of my Michael Kelly Patriot down and at least trying to get the same feel/texture (even though it's not as round a profile).
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by TKRIS
    I just played around, briefly, with a Gibson faded SG. From what I can gather, it has a similar neck to the VM Les Paul. In which case, no fucking wonder you love that thing so much rage.
    Yep, it has the same neck as the VM except the SG has the dot inlays... '59 rounded. I refuse to buy a guitar without that neck, it's just that perfect.

The best part about this neck is that it's not coated with nitro so it plays really fast... no sticky feel going up and down the neck. I bought a Studio Premium Plus, a MUCH better guitar than the VM's, but it has the nitro finish... I had to get it shaved down and recoated with urethane to get the same feel as the VM/SG faded neck.

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Anyone have one of these or play around with one?
    Any thoughts? Any reasons why I shouldn't be lusting over this?
    The SG's sound kinda hollow. I'm not a big fan of the tone.

Find yourself a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

les paul VM's ARE hollow
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by finboy
    les paul VM's ARE hollow
    haha yes, I'm talking about the tone, not the guitar itself. In fact, the LP's are pretty much all chambered nowadays, and I believe the SG's are solid, even tho it doesn't sound like it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

if the 59 neck is anything like the sg classic neck, it is a GREAT neck.

sg: Rounded SG

les paul: '59 rounded Les Paul

people with tiny hands might not like it.

My Ride

That's the second time you've rcomended the VM to me, but to tell you the truth, I'm extremely happy with the Michael Kelly Patriot I picked a few months ago as my standby LP. The only Les Paul I've played that I liked much better was a friend's '56 LP Custom (which he bought new when he was 18).

I'll have to spend a bit more amp time (I was just fucking around unplugged today) with it to see if my erection subsides, but as far as I'm concerned, I've got the LP sound covered, so I'd be interested in something a bit different.

I've been looking at a Dillion SG clone from JSD Guitar Shack. I'm going to fire him off an e-mail to see what neck profile that guitar has. If it's the same, I could just sand it down and have somethig similar, but with P90's (which would be a plus). Would look a little weird with a white body and sanded neck, but at $300 I wouldn't be oppose to refinishing the whole thing.

FWIW I sanded all the gunk off the neck of the Squier I got the other day, and good god, what a difference. I'm thinking about doing the same to my Epi Les Paul and my MK.

Originally posted by finboy
    people with tiny hands might not like it.
    That's the thing. I don't have big hands (medium sized gloves, etc) but I have a broad palm and double jointed thumbs. Because I have small hands, I've been on this thin neck quest, and it's been a waste. On a thin neck (especially something like a wizard), my thumb hyperextends because my palms are too big for it in relation to my fingers, and after awhile my hand gets sore from my thumb being "double jointed". Over the last couple weeks, I've realized that small hands or not, I prefer a baseball bat neck.
    Last edited by TKRIS; 10-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.

My Ride
    firebird

I have to vote for the 60s slim taper neck as found in the classics and some of the custom shops like my Class 5 Les Paul.

The standard neck is much too large for my 5yo sized hands but may thicken the tone somewhat (not that its really a problem with a LP.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride

I'll bring this back to life again:
    I was this )( close to pulling the trigger on a faded SG last night. There's one on ebay with a Buy It Now price of $500, and I figured with the 30% off, live.com deal, it'd only be about $375 shipped. Good thing I read the fine print and realized the 30% cashback deal was only valid for Americans...

So I bought this instead: Reverend Jetstream HB
    click for larger version

http://www.reverendguitars.com/rever...stream_hb.html

Should be here in about a week. It's a 2006 model, so it's solid mahogany, not Korina like the new ones. And mine has a Les Trim (which Reverend stopped doing this year). First time buying a guitar sight unseen, but I've yet to find anything short of glowing reviews for any of the Reverend guitars, so I'm pretty confident.

So, we'll see how it goes, and I might have to end up selling my Michael Kelly, if anyone's interested...

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

i've heard good reviews on reverend guitars, good choice

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Page 47 of 119 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast